Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who've had to send your gun back to S&W to have it repaired, how long did it take?

My brand new gun has been gone for 2 weeks now, and I just called the store, and they said it could take up to a month! :eek: Please tell me thats not true.

Is it possible for me to just say keep the broken gun and get a new(working) gun?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a PPK at Smith right now fixing a frame problem. It's a cosmetic problem but it shouldn't be there. Anyway, this is the middle of the third week they've had it, I believe. They told me on the phone I'd probably have it back in 2 weeks. Pretty much every post I've read about Smith's service say they've got theirs back in about 2 weeks.

I'm ok with it. As long as they fix it, I'm happy.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My PPK has arrived back from Smith & Wesson. It's sitting at my dealer's shop now. It'll be a few days before I'm able to pick it up. I don't know how they did with the repair, I'll post back when I get it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually just picked mine up today, lol. Problem is fixed. For the first time I was able to see what the inside of my gun looked like. :)

Now hopefully tomorrow I can take it to the range and run some ammo through her.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
I had to send a SW99 in .45ACP in to them twice for slide prematurely locking open issues, and I also had to send in a 460XVR due to a barrel recall, and for all requests, the work took only a few weeks. Have been very happy with their service.

Regards,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Not to get this off track.. but I have read about a few of their recalls....
What's up with their barrels of late... I think the last recall was on their "performance center" wheelguns (barrel work was contracted out)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ok I picked up the PPK today. Let me say it looks fantastic. I was concerned that my issue wouldn't be taken seriously, but they fixed the problem and finished the frame to "their specs," which is how they put it on the work order.

Let me explain what the problem was. You do not have to look hard to find this problem on many current Gunbroker auctions. This affects both Smith PPK and PPK/S. You will not see this problem on an Interarms or German PPK line. Note that not all the Smith PPKs are like this. Looks like a very large number of blued and stainless mistakes got through though.

The problem on my gun (blued PPK) was the area of metal surrounding the disassembly hinge at the rear of the trigger guard. This part of the frame on my gun extended above and below the trigger guard. When looking at a side view of the gun you could see bare unblued metal from the metal piece sticking up on the other side. These "wings" are not in spec. Metal from teh frame should not extend above and below the trigger guard, instead this area should taper smoothly onto the rear of the trigger guard so no edges are exposed. This part of the frame also extended below the trigger guard, to the point that when viewed from the bottom the trigger guard was sunken in at the rear with metal from the front strap surrounding it.

It is kind of tough to explain. But if I pointed at it you'd go "Oh yeah, that ain't right!" It is more obvious on the blued models because of the exposed bare metal with tool marks are much more visible.

I was concerned that Smith would shrug their shoulders and say that's how we make em now. I'm very glad they didn't. Since they promptly fixed the problem (requiring the frame to be rifinished) I can see that they know it's an issue. They fixed it perfectly with good quality work.

There are still many out there that need fixing though. Check yours out, you may have the problem too. The good news is Smith will fix it if it's brought to their attention.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts