Walther Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting comp for a little while and want to upgrade my shooting rig. I shot USPSA using my P99. I have been using Fobus gear so I am wanting to get something in a kydex type product. Looking for suggestions for a belt, holster and mag pouches....any suggestions?

·
Registered
32 Posts
holster

I use an Uncle Mike's kydex holster for both IDPA and IPSC. Have a 2 mag holder as well. Simple and cheap, <$20 each, for the paddle type.

chris

·
Registered
45 Posts
Currently I shoot IDPA with a fobus paddle holster. I'm looking at a couple of different IWB holsters to upgrade to this year but haven't decided which to go with yet.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Jake,
I am in the process of testing Blackwater's new "carbon" retention type paddle holster. Its looks like a step up from the standard Fobus type, but feels about the same.

The "gun release" is activated by the swipe of your trigger finger across the lever as you draw. I loved the ease of use of the Fobus design, but wanted a little more on the retension side ......... Blackwater seems to have built just the puppy.

I will let you know if the retension system works as advertised.......... and if it has the potential for slowing the draw beyond acceptable speeds.

More to come...............

JF.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sniper,
Many thanks and I trust your judgment. My only concern, if I remember correctly, I don't think Blackwater makes the holster of which you speak, for a P99....:(

·
Registered
333 Posts
OPPS ! You are probably right ! I have been testing for my carry gun which is a full size 1911.

Can't see why that holster model [ P-99 ] would not be on the short list of "new" models for them to make.

Its a shame, the way it goes is Glocks, SIGs, Beretta's, HK's and 1911's ........with Walther's always bringing up the rear. Manufacturers just don't have any awareness of just how many Walthers are in the field here in the USA. I think it all goes back to what we have talked about before, lack of advertising the Brand Name here in this Country.

Good Luck with your hunt

JF.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jake,
I am in the process of testing Blackwater's new "carbon" retention type paddle holster. Its looks like a step up from the standard Fobus type, but feels about the same.

The "gun release" is activated by the swipe of your trigger finger across the lever as you draw. I loved the ease of use of the Fobus design, but wanted a little more on the retension side ......... Blackwater seems to have built just the puppy.

I will let you know if the retension system works as advertised.......... and if it has the potential for slowing the draw beyond acceptable speeds.

More to come...............

JF.
He's talking about the Blackhawk! CQC holster I think.

It's a great holster. I couldnt find one for my P99 but noticed it fits incredibly well in my Glock 20's holster. Been packin my P99 in the glock 20's rig since. It's incredibly fast and secure.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I just got a Uncle Mike's paddle today....
not a bad holster for $16 .... though it is for training only... can't imagine to CC in one of these rigs

·
Registered
539 Posts
I use a Wilderness instructor belt for IPDA-style matches. I started out with a Fobus roto paddle but now use either my IWB or OWB leather holster. Using the IWB holster makes for better carry practice. Sometimes I'm lazy and I use my OWB holster though.

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
I have fondeled a Fobus on and off now...
but the $16 Uncle Mikes paddle is the best for the $ IMHO if you are just using it for competition
you can adjust it high ride or low ride... and it has holes to adjust the cant
I do have a UCH from Blade-Tech and like it.... but that is not for competition....

·
Registered
32 Posts
offset holsters

Here's what I am thinking about getting...

http://www.blade-tech.com/DOH-Dropped-Offset-Holster-w-Tek-Lok-pr-1029.html

http://www.blade-tech.com/Double-Magazine-Pouch-with-Tek-Lok-pr-863.html

Anybody have experience with these? Big price difference between these and a Fobus, just wondering if the extra cost would be worth it.:confused:
I'm not up on all the details but that "offset" holster may not be legal for IDPA. I would check on that.
IPSC, probably OK. Their rules are pretty loose on holsters.

chris

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm not up on all the details but that "offset" holster may not be legal for IDPA. I would check on that.
I shoot USPSA so I am not sure of IDPA rule but I would say that you are correct. I think that if it was IDPA sanctioned it would say so on their web site...good selling point.;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts