Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a wonderful PPQ SUB last year, but sold 22 guns to Dealers, to pay my debt to Zero, and escape back to my beloved Idaho. I came here with nothing but a couple guns, Walthers, and a hope for a new start after 20 years of the wrong woman, and the gun grabber politics of WA state.

Well. I did find a Unfired P38 P-1 that was Born two years after me This 1965 beauty is soehting a pesron would fin d serving in Rhodesia, the RSA or other parts of Africa.

Like a plain Dutch Girl, this Missy is flat out ugly but really shoots!

I'd like to get back into a SUB-Compact, but am waiting to see if
Walther offers us a SC in .45 ACP?

Or to pick up one of those sweet 9mms that has the blue frame.

Not really BSA blue..but I can live with that.

Should I retunr to Armed Security work and be authorized a Walther
9mm for duty. The blue frame would be a conversation starter.

I don't like the gun with the short mag, unless I'm wanting to Hide it and probably will never fire the gun.

The longer 15-shot mag works well with my larger hands with Westfal fingers.

LOw recoil and maybe even more accurate the the used 4 inch PPQ that I shot against it.

Any of you like the PPQ Sub? Do you want one in .45 ACP? The PPQ anything in 10mm would be nice ( I have the XDM OSP 10mm) but we will only be able to dream about such.

Tell me about your SC experience.

https://www.facebook.com/Walther-PPQ-Sub-Club-315458385891525/

·
Registered
490 Posts
Like a plain Dutch Girl, this Missy is flat out ugly but really shoots!

There are quite a few Dutch girls who can shoot really well.........and they might take umbrage at that remark!

When your divorce papers come through, you could re-locate to somewhere that allows polygamy and get married to both your Walthers.

Balor

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am absolutely 100% satisfied with the PPQ SC. Being new to the polymer frame and striker fired crowd, I had my doubts but they were quickly dismissed upon receipt. I wanted a .45 sub-compact for concealed carry but I just could NOT make myself buy the Glock. H&K makes a fine weapon as well but I prefer the button magazine release to the paddle/lever style on their offerings. Having been a PPK/S man for decades, there was really only one way for me to go. I would definitely buy a PPQ SC chambered in .45 ACP if offered. Only question for me then would be should I get the full-sized PPQ 45 as well. The answer? Absolutely.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I'd like to get back into a SUB-Compact, but am waiting to see if Walther offers us a SC in .45 ACP?
It's possible but I would expect the next Walther .45 to be a Q5 SF. I'm surprised that they haven't released a PPQ .45 longslide yet. In the meantime I'm happy with my Glock 36.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I expected that the PPQ SC was designed to be a .40 also, like the P99C. Thats why the extractor is labelled "9mm" on it. Only the cratering of the .40 market held it up I would imagine. One can get a P99C in .40 for $299 so why bother?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'll have to rent one sometime. I want one but I don't have the budget to add it to the roster right now. Lol.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'm happy with PPQ SC in 9 mm

I bought a new PPQ SC LE version a few months ago and I carry it with me everywhere I go. It fits nicely in my 5.11 holster shirt pocket when wrapped in an inside the pocket holster that's made for the PPQ.

I'm not interested in a 45 cal or even a 40 cal gun. All my pistols shoot 9 mm and I like it that way. If the 9 mm is good enough for my local Sheriffs department it's good enough for me. I want a gun that I can shoot well. Shot placement to me is more important than the weight of the bullets. Shoot the bad guy in the right spot and he will fall like a ton of bricks. Shoot them in the wrong spot and they will continue to attack you. I shoot the 9 mm accurately and that's what matters to me. Plus I don't have to buy different cal ammo for different guys.

There is a reason why Walther built the new PPQ SC in 9 mm first and not in 45 cal. It's suppose to be a smaller gun that made to conceal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I read lots of negative opinions from people saying the SC was no good. Plastic striker channel and too many changes from the standard.... the people that bought them (like me) like them and dont really have any functional complaints that the regular ppq doesnt have.

·
Registered
248 Posts
FBI uses the 9 mm too

Keep in mind some Sheriffs departments are driving around Dodges. Just because the local lawman is using it doesn't mean it's any good ;)
They are using 9mm guns because they are cheaper to shoot and practice with. Practicing makes for better marksmanship. Better Marksmanship makes for better policing. If you hit your target in the right place with the first shot there is no need for a follow-up shot sometimes.

Sixty years ago the US Military went from the larger 7.2 down to the 5.56 ammo as it weighed less and the soldiers could carry more rounds of ammo and stay in the battle better and longer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Those are all plausible, kampers, but I'm pretty sure the unstated real reason for the caliber switch was to maximize round count when they perform the obligatory mag dump on any perp who dares to twitch while at gun point. Improved accuracy? More practice or training? pfff. ;)

·
Registered
248 Posts
9 mm is cheaper to shoot and practice with

Those are all plausible, kampers, but I'm pretty sure the unstated real reason for the caliber switch was to maximize round count when they perform the obligatory mag dump on any perp who dares to twitch while at gunpoint. Improved accuracy? More practice or training? pfff. ;)
Does recoil affect accuracy? I say yes. Which is the reason why I think that I shoot more accurately with the 9 mm rounds. But that's me.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Remember that the FBI switched from the unambiguously more effective 10mm round to 40SW because their PC driven hiring resulted in agents that just couldn't hold the weapon (literally hands too small) let alone shoot them accurately. They moved to 9mm because....well....err.....its nearly as good, sort of, and it holds more rounds to use to scare....err...suppress the fire..yeah that's it... of the perps.

Please recall that most major departments carried 38SPL for decades while 357Mag was available. Many prohibited the use of 357Mag even if the weapon could handle it.

PDs choices in sidearm drive a lot of sales but that clearly is not a decision process that we should copy. And, as always, ultimately shot placement in center-fire handguns trumps caliber every time.

·
Premium Member
8,549 Posts
Remember that the FBI switched from the unambiguously more effective 10mm round to 40SW because their PC driven hiring resulted in agents that just couldn't hold the weapon (literally hands too small) let alone shoot them accurately.
We have heard this for years and yet never seen any proof.

BTW, I've seen more than a few "tiny" LEOs and non Leos who can shoot the heck out of 10s.

I've talked to a few who were around during the change over including the armorers. Theories abound, ammo cost being high on the list with excessive parts wear next and follows shots being somewhere down the list.

I doubt we will ever get a definitive answer but I certainly wouldn't state that "some agents couldn't hold the weapon" as fact.

(Don't you love thread drift :) )

·
Registered
160 Posts
I read lots of negative opinions from people saying the SC was no good. Plastic striker channel and too many changes from the standard.... the people that bought them (like me) like them and dont really have any functional complaints that the regular ppq doesnt have.

The internet is amazing in its ability to make you doubt your own eyes and hands. Lots of people look for information that convinces them something other than what they bought is better than what they bought. Caliber too.
Get what you want and trust your own judgement. PPQ SC rocks.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
The internet is amazing in its ability to make you doubt your own eyes and hands. Lots of people look for information that convinces them something other than what they bought is better than what they bought. Caliber too.
Get what you want and trust your own judgement. PPQ SC rocks.
A lot of the criticism of the PPQ SC was coming from people who didn't actually own one.

The gun works fine. You hear of very few to no issues from those that own them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a PPQ45, P99AS 9mm, and PPQSC. I purchased my PPQ SC for $399 and I think I got a “Factory New-Old Stock” model bc my s/n indicates it was produced before the ones seen in YouTube videos where the reviewer got pre-release access to the pistol for trial run.

I say that because the extended 15 rd mag spring needed to be broken in a tad along with trigger and I had to adjust rear sight a few turns to the right. It was not terribly off target (shot left of center/front sight still fell between back rear sights just favored right. Think of a made FG hugging right goal post) and the fix was super simple. Now my PPQSC is insanely accurate! Have shot aluminum, brass FMJ, JHP, HP with no problems at all. My guess is the newer ones come out the box ready to go, but it’s hard to find them for less than $500.

It conceals very comfortably. It’s only like 0.3 oz heavier than PPS M2 with empty magazine. I was in car all day for 5 hr round trip Thanksgiving family visit-back home (carrying appendix) and I caught up on some sleep on both legs of the trip. Never thought “aahhhhh omg get this thing off of me!!”

1 - 20 of 21 Posts