Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yep, rushed and bought one as soon as the M2 was announced. Love the paddle mag release

·
Registered
43 Posts
I like the classic is what walther is calling the original PPS mind was stolen out of my truck
The m2 is just not the for a replacement For every day carry my opinion

·
Registered
188 Posts
I bought the M2 first, but than I found a M1 at my LGS that looked virtually brand new in 40sw for dirt cheap(I’m a fan of 40) so I grabbed it. A few months later a M1 in 9mm popped up, snatched that one up also. I carry the 40 though. I like the M2 but definitely prefer the M1 hands down.
I had to shave down the sharp edge on the trigger guard though. It was blistering my left pointer finger from the kick of the 40.;)
The 9mm doesn’t do it though, for the obvious reason of it doesn’t bark much at all.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
My 9mm Classic is still my go-to carry, though I've been warming up to my loud gasp PPQc..

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Yep, rushed and bought one as soon as the M2 was announced. Love the paddle mag release
Me, too. I have a P99AS (Don’t properly know what Gen) but it has the paddle release, too. To not have to change the firing grip to swap mags is a dandy bonus to me, Plus having it on my carry pistol means you wont have an accidental mag release from the push button. I realize its the “European way” vs the “Yankee way” of the button. Just makes it that much easier to carry and not worry as much.

Mine eats whatever I feed it, too, which is a great bonus. Walther did a really really nice job polishing the feed ramp and just about everything with that pistol. I am a huge M1 (Classic) fan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I came here to see if there is still an option to buy a new PPS of the first generation. Looks like I found my answer. I'm a new owner of a P99 AS and I would like a PPS for carry with the same/similar features. The M2 is not that.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
The only way to get your hands on a PPS Classic (or M1 🙄) as Walther now retroactively calls it is to buy used....

I wouldn't be afraid to buy a used PPS..

Reactions: BornFighting88

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I know some people who are a little shakey about buying used, but if you buy from a reputable shop, then you can almost guarantee that the owner or gunsmith on site has given it a once over and cleared it for sale. Also, gun owners are (i say this with a little bit of hesitation) usually very good about keeping them in good working order. When you want To trade it in, better working condition nets better sale price.

I agree with T-Bird, go used, I have bought a few used guns and still have them to this day. As much as I like the look of the new M2’s, I think I would have a really really hard time getting away from my Classic. (There I will call it classic, too.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought the M2 first, but than I found a M1 at my LGS that looked virtually brand new in 40sw for dirt cheap(I’m a fan of 40) so I grabbed it. A few months later a M1 in 9mm popped up, snatched that one up also. I carry the 40 though. I like the M2 but definitely prefer the M1 hands down.
I had to shave down the sharp edge on the trigger guard though. It was blistering my left pointer finger from the kick of the 40.;)
The 9mm doesn’t do it though, for the obvious reason of it doesn’t bark much at all.
I bought a PPS Classic in .40 S&W 10 years ago, & it's been my everyday carry gun ever since. A buddy bought the PPS M2 w/ the RMSC red dot, & Although I love the sight, I don't like the grip, or the lack of a rail. The 2 best features on the Classic, are the trigger guard mag release, & the interchangeable back straps. I have large hands, & the larger back strap gives me a much better grip on the gun, & because of an old thumb injury, the traditional button mag release won't work for me, unless I turn the pistol in my hand, or use the other hand (I can't move my thumb to the side). With the trigger guard mag release, & can drop the mag with my trigger finger, while my other hand is bringing up a fresh mag. In my mind, the only thing that would make the PPS Classic better, would be threaded barrel for a brake, & a slide milled for a red dot (my eyes are not what they used to be).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I came here to see if there is still an option to buy a new PPS of the first generation. Looks like I found my answer. I'm a new owner of a P99 AS and I would like a PPS for carry with the same/similar features. The M2 is not that.
I have seen some for sale recently (a month or two ago), in the $360 range new. As with anything else, once a new model is released, the price of the old one drops. When I think of what I payed for mine ten years ago, that's an amazing bargain. Although the .40 S&W models are harder to find, they seem to be priced lower that the 9mm models. Here's a link:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I know some people who are a little shakey about buying used, but if you buy from a reputable shop, then you can almost guarantee that the owner or gunsmith on site has given it a once over and cleared it for sale. Also, gun owners are (i say this with a little bit of hesitation) usually very good about keeping them in good working order. When you want To trade it in, better working condition nets better sale price.

I agree with T-Bird, go used, I have bought a few used guns and still have them to this day. As much as I like the look of the new M2’s, I think I would have a really really hard time getting away from my Classic. (There I will call it classic, too.)
Normally I'd recommend any Walther used but the PPS M1 has the backstrap assembly that might be prone to failure if the previous owner ever took it apart. I have taken mine apart down to bits so I could disable the backstrap safety altogether so I'd not worry, but it's just something to think about. I wish they still made the M1. I love it, backstrap weirdness and all.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Weirdness is a good way to put it. I pinched myself BAD, worse than any slide bite I’ve ever suffered on the oddity that is the M1 backstrap. Dropped mag to put a fresh one in, and that little lip on the back end of the mag snipped my right palm bad the day I got it. Wasn’t even in that much pain, but bled like a stuck pig for a few minutes. So I get what you mean, ewige.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Love my PPS M1. Never understood why they made the M2 model. It is not a big deal to get used to the paddle release vs a button.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I have to imagine it is to cater to the market. As sad as I am to have to say this, we have a member leaving the forum for personal reasons. But they mentioned that Walther used to be a prestige name, that wavy banner was a step above the average pistol. Now, with Walther Arms being here in the US, it has turned into a household name. Being a household name in the states means that they may have catered to the “American” market versus the “European” heritage of the brand.

Push button mag release vs. flappy paddle, among other things. I personally prefer the M1 (Classic) to the new one. Flappy paddles just do it for me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Walther needs to be a household name to stay in business and it couldn’t stay a boutique brand like before Umerex purchased the Company From the Walther family.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Just want to say I had a field day a few weeks ago, handled many new guns...the ones that intrigued the most were the PPS M2, and this thing called the the P365 SAS.

Damn Sig didn't have any sights on it...I won't bore with the details here, but it's...interesting. Neither the PPS or the 365 came home with me that day, but a CCP in stainless did.

My 2013 PPS 9mm still rides shotgun though. Just like a sore weiner...you can hardly beat it. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts