Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How you like on your P99? Green or red?

POI is ok with the factory rear sight? On the compact too?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have the green on a p22 and it works fine. I have the red on my competition P99 and switched back to the rear white dots and the red fiber front...it works great and shoots to POA. I really like the red front white rear set up....

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the green on a p22 and it works fine. I have the red on my competition P99 and switched back to the rear white dots and the red fiber front...it works great and shoots to POA. I really like the red front white rear set up....
Thanks Jake. I thought I'd put the HiViz on my P99c 9mm. Sounds like the red is the way to go. On my other two P99's I have Earl's Tritium night sights but at $125 a pop, it's getting a little expensive.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the red's aren't cheap either but I do like them. I have Meps and BigDots on my others and they work fine too.
Jake, Brownells has them and they are about 30 bucks. Your choice green or red.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and these are for the P99 ?? Wow I need a set of them too ...

this is the set Jake Starr is talking about
http://kiei.biz/inc/sdetail/570
It is the HiViz red or green fiber optic front sight that's around $30 at Brownells. Less with a LE discount. The link above is for the German-made front and rear (metal). Also available from Earl. You might want to give the HiViz front a try first. It is compatible with the factory rear sight.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have seen them on Ebay from time to time as well.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just installed the HiViz red front on a P99c. Very nice, looking forward to testing at the range.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
'Finally got a chance to try out the HiViz red front sight on my P99c 9mm today. My accuracy and speed in getting back on target improved dramatically because of my ability to pickup the front sight so clearly (and fast). At 10 yards (a more than realistic gun fight distance) and firing as quickly as I could, I was taking out the top half of "Bruno the Bad Guy's" life size paper head first time, every time. And they were tight groups not just spaced out holes.

For around $30, this may be THE best after-market part of all for your P99. You may not needTritium night sights but you will definitely reap the rewards of this inexpensive, easy-to-install mod. Over 50? It's a non-starter. Get 'em. :)

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Wreck, my POI is a hair higher with the HiViz. Hardly significant but keep in mind I shoot rapid fire at only 10 yards or less. I don't know how this would change at 25 yards because I didn't try. I shoot strictly combat shooting at realistic distances and in this case with a gun (the P99c) that was designed for just that: close and personal work. I always joke that at 25 yards, you should be running not shooting unless you have a good lawyer and/or a sympathetic jury.

For 30 bucks it's a must-try at the very least. I think most folks will see an overall improvement in their shooting.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I shoot mostly at 7 yards - but I know where the shot hits. I cover my target with the white dot and it goes straight there. Didn't know if this was like changing out the front sight with a different number - making it an inch or so off...

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wreck at that range, where you aim (with the HiViz) is where you'll hit. Uncut, 'don't want to take us off topic but what kind of front sight is that??

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Walther factory metal sight

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Walther factory metal sight
Other than the fact that the factory is metal (seen in your photos above) vs. polymer, is there any advantage (visually) over the stock polymer front sight? I haven't heard of any problems with the stock polymer front shooting loose though I do prefer the hex nut design of the after-market Earl's, Mepros, Trijicon, HiViz, etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i was about to get the hiviz but because they don't have a rear matching, I got the red fiber optic sights. I think this is the best upgrade if you're talking sight upgrades. They work in low light conditions and when light is present it sucks the light into the optical dots lighting it up like an LED.

The quickest sight acquisition I found so far. They're a bit more expensive but worth it every penny. The difference was night and day in comparing to the old factory sites, it's like comparing a Monochrome Computer monitor to an LCD color monitor.

Now if the Hiviz made rear sights, I would say they were just as good. I just think doing the front is only doing 50% of the job.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts