Walther Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

Premium Member
The best reference book on the PP/PPK series is Dieter Marschall's "Walther Pistol: Models 1 to PPX". Next would be Per Mathisen's "A Pictorial Collectors Guide to the Walther PP - PPK Pistols" and finally, Tom Whiteman's "SS Contract Walther PP/PPK". These three compliment each other nicely and I use them every week.

The Rankin books are ok but way out of date.

Registered
I am a little surprised to see so many of the pre-war guns shown here still wearing their original or period-correct grips. The first thing that I did with my minty, early, commercial PPK was to pull those beauties and squirrel them away in the climate-controlled safe. Warps and cracks are common on the older grips, and finding replacements is difficult and expensive. I shoot my pistol a couple of times a year, and I prefer wood grips anyway, so win-win. YMMV
I know the commercial one I have sat in a holster for the majority of it鈥檚 post war life which did not help the finish any. The DRP I don鈥檛 know the entire story behind but I鈥檓 thinking it didn鈥檛 have an easy life up until about one owner ago either. Improper storage and/or use I think were the detriments for mine. Though at ~75% blue they could be worse off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I think that these grips are more likely to warp if they're removed and stored separately. By leaving them in place the frame will hold them so they keep their shape.
This is true; I have mine blocked up inside and use small straps on the outside to help maintain the shape. The most common issue is cracks at the screw holes, so don鈥檛 over tighten, but accept that they will eventually crack. Warping is another common problem. They simply weren鈥檛 made with a plan or materials to last 80+ years.

Registered
We would love to see pictures of your prewar gun, either with or without the original grips on it!
Larry
Pics are one click away on the link that I embedded. Perhaps I will be on my desktop machine later this week to insert pics here.

Reactions: boykinlp

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
It looks to be in very nice shape. I like the fish scale grips too. If I was shooting mine, I wouldn't use the original grips either.
Larry

Registered
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
While reading Mr. Marschall鈥檚 book, he talked about the early PPK鈥檚 having a step behind the trigger. Can one of you folks please show me a close up picture showing this? I am confused on it. Also, when did this end? Thanks.
Larry

41 - 55 of 55 Posts