Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My P99 QA trigger seems kinda heavy more than the stated ~5 lb pull. Anyone know who will do trigger work on it?

thanks

·
Registered
821 Posts
QA triggers are supposed to be in the 8 pound range, the 5 pound trigger is found on the AS setup.

Rest assured, though, I believe you have a shorter trigger stroke and faster reset than us AS owners  

-stunks

·
Registered
333 Posts
It has been stated on this forum before....but I will re-state this information again. I am not trying to preach.....only offer a "real world" view of the battlefield after the fight.

If you ever plan to use your Walther for Self-defense...please don't modify the gun from factory specs. The legal liability can and most likely will destroy you. It will be a case were you won the fight----but lost the battle.

This is not a case of it "might" happen....but it has happened, and each civil case decided against a gun owner with a modified trigger group...only adds fuel to the fire for future cases.

If I felt you could not win with the Walther as produced by the factory......then I would say do what you need to ----to stay alive. But this is not the case...........and I will submit to you that in a gun fight to save your life............you will not notice or be hindered by a 4 or 5 lb. trigger pull difference.

Actually under extreme stress......the stronger trigger pull might help save you life, by smoothing out your trigger strokes. Under high stress you will tend to jerk the trigger because you will be trying so hard to get the gun to stop the bad guy. The lighter the trigger pull........mixed with the over-reactive trigger pull under stress......might allow just enough "jerk" that you will miss the target entirely.

I have seen "live" videos of people standing only 15 feet away from each other blasting away....neither of them hitting one another..............so Yes it can happen.

It is your gun................so you will ultimately decide what works best for you................but think about the leagl mess afterwards......you have to survive that battle also !

JF.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wow, I hadn't even thought about that side of things. I personally wasn't planning on modifying anything from factory on my QA, but this brings to light a whole new aspect of the self defense process I hadn't even considered.

Thanks for that info sniper.

-- jon

·
Registered
69 Posts
The only problem I am encountering with my p990 is the 7+ lb trigger pull. After firing about 40 rounds, I get fatigued enough to start missing. I figured my only two options were to take the pistol to a gunsmith and have it reduced, or get a trigger finger trainer like a squeeze ball or a snap cap (I have the DAO, so this is a viable option for me.)
A snap cap is easy to make, just deprime a spent casing and fill the primer pocket with silicone caulk from the flash hole. Works great.
After reading about the stressfire incidents, I don't know if I'd want to have the trigger lightened, but for pure target shooting, it's the only way to go.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have never heard of people getting in legal trouble for replaceing the trigger bar on there glocks. I may be wrong and sniper350 always has great info.

I know he doesnt want to see modified triggers get people in trouble, or cause more flack.

I also go buy the saying "Id rather be tried by tweleve, then carried by six"

Personally the DA SA is just fine for my tastes, while the glock triggers intially made me hate that gun.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
This is a topic talked about on all the websites, and I have even jumped in on the topic on Glocktalk before.

But, while everyone worries about this, no one has ever produced an instance where this DID become an issue. I think if U have a good shoot, U should be okay.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (ShipWreck @ Nov. 11 2005,08:20)]no one has ever produced an instance where this DID become an issue. I think if U have a good shoot, U should be okay.
My old gunsmith knew of a couple of instances (I don't recall the case names, but they were real cases) where certain modifications became an issue and the grounds for a civil lawsuit.  For example, the removal of the Hi-Power's magazine safety disconnect does two things, it disables the safety so the gun can be fired without the magazine in place and as a bonus it produces a smoother, lighter trigger pull.  Although some organizations that have used the HP have done this, it can be twisted to make the civilian gun owner look like he was hoping for a gunfight, especially when the shoot was a questionable one.  Also, where there is a case of an accidental shooting, the disabling of a safety feature establishes negligence per se.  That is why most of the higher end gunsmiths refuse to make the alteration or if they do, they specify it is for target / competition use.

I agree that the key is whether the shoot was a good one or a bad one.  However, the grey area between a good shoot and a bad shoot is wider than most people would think.  In an instance where there is room to guess at what happened, an ambitious / anti-gun prosecutor may call into question every modification that was done to the pistol.  As a shooter, I can defend grip changes and night sights because they do not alter stock safety features.  Given that some organizations like the NYPD have raised the weight of the trigger pull in their Glocks as a safety measure, I'd be hard pressed in court to argue that the NYPD is wrong and trigger pull weight is not a safety feature.  If I leave it stock, I cannot be crucified for accepting the stock trigger.  If I lower the weight with one of the trigger kits for competition, I cannot say that's how I got it from the factory.

Of course there's the old saying that "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6" but that doesn't really apply.  With training and practice, a shooter can easily handle the 7-8 pound stock trigger of a QA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts