Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Agencies, Police Departments, Military etc. (Not Fictional) uses the P99. or how popular are they amongst Agencies.

·
Registered
447 Posts
i believe german police use it as the p9. dont know what states.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
According to a current Wikipedia article (and as such should be taken with a grain of salt), "The pistol is used by the German Police of some federal states of Germany and the Finnish Army's special forces and military police, where it goes under the designation Pistooli 2003 (PIST 2003)."

From http://www.lenaburgs.net/james/Guns/Walther.htm,

"According to Carl Walther communications, the P99 Pistol finished extensive tests and torture testing by the Canadian Montreal police against numerous competitors , and the order of about 5,000 pistols P99 QA was to take place in March 2002.

"Also, Poland is convinced of the advantages of this pistol. After the year 2001, some one thousand pistols were already supplied in the standard version, with the interim plan to equip approximately 100,000 policemen of the country-wide organized Polish units with Walther pistols P99." May 2002

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Cheers for the information
Not sure how current any of this information is, who or which agencies might still be carrying/using the P99 at the moment, etc.; nothing that's readily available online at the moment in this regard seems to be real current. Some of the others on the forum may be more up to date and can chime in.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can confirm that the City of Montreal's police department definitely does use the P-99. I didn't know they had gone with the QA, but that would explain their apparent inadequacy to place a shot where they want it to go. Just tried mine out last night, I'd have had better luck throwing the gun at the target.
I'll definitely be trying my hand at the gunsmithing tips in this section

·
Registered
155 Posts
Definitely in Poland

"Also, Poland is convinced of the advantages of this pistol. After the year 2001, some one thousand pistols were already supplied in the standard version, with the interim plan to equip approximately 100,000 policemen of the country-wide organized Polish units with Walther pistols P99." May 2002
I personally saw the security/police (don't know what organization they are) at the Warsaw airport with P99s in August 2006. Although many of the officers were carrying something older in a big leather holster.

BTW, I had never seen so many beautiful women carry the P99 before! Southern Poland will definitely be a trip for me this year or next.

Don

·
Registered
150 Posts
I found info on a few other p99 users
Nottinghamshire Police
Finnish Army
Nordrhein-Westfalen German Police force
Polish Police

·
Registered
306 Posts
I saw the P99 myself while carried by police officers in Spain, Portugal and Poland (see picture I took myself last summer). According to what I learned from various sources it should also be used in the UK, in Germany (only 1 federal state) and in Finland (army).

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Oklahoma wildlife department uses the .40cal P99

·
Registered
68 Posts
Funny thing, I was working in the ER today, and a female LEO was in there, she carried a P99! I didn't get a chance to talk to her about it, but if I see her again I'll tell you guys her story!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tried to get my agency to allow them as an option in place of Glocks. Well, apparently Glock's marketing and extreme discounts did them well because it did not go well for me. At least I can still carry my P99 off duty.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I work for a Sheriff's Office in Ohio. I used one until the beginning of the year when they made us all switch to Glocks (communist bastards!)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
This is an intersting site....
http://sfpdgame.atspace.com/weapons.html
If I have read this correctly the Sierra Hills PD in Cali gives the choice of using a walther.....Walther re-chambered the weapons for .45
You've stumbled upon a virtual PD using a virtual Walther P99 re-chambered in .45.

Walther was never re-chambered the P99 in .45ACP for any department.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I work for a Sheriff's Office in Ohio. I used one until the beginning of the year when they made us all switch to Glocks (communist bastards!)
That is because they got a huge discount for Glock pistols, parts, and accessories by forcing all officers to use them. That is the only reason why Glocks are so popular in law enforcement in the U.S. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts