Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
AS (Anti-Stress - AKA Traditional DA/SA)

Your other options are QA (kinda like a Glock, I haven't tried one myself) and DAO, which is an abomination unto autoloaders.

·
Registered
56 Posts
DAO, which is an abomination unto autoloaders.
The only reason I can see for buying a DAO is if it is ONLY a night stand gun. Don't want a light trigger when you are fumbling for it in the dark. Even in that scenario an AS(DA/SA) would be almost as effective if left in AS(DA) mode.

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I own both the QA and AS. I also own a glock and from my experiences the QA trigger pull is pretty smooth to me, the glock pull is very spongy. On another note , I feel that both trigger options perform and feel very well, When u compare a DA/SA to a DAO its like comparing apples to oranges in my opinion. It all comes down to personal preference and what the firearm will be used for. Thats why i bought both lol Well enough beating around the bush here, I do favor my AS 9mm over my QA i just hate the long hard trigger pull on the DA mode on the AS but it is easily tamed by cocking it to SA

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
So I'm finally going to buy my P99. Which type of trigger should I get?
You really can't effectively ask this question, what's good for me may be the worst choice for you. If you can't test fire a AS and QA trigger, then at least try to dry fire one of each and that will help you decide. If you can't find one of each to try, which is understandable, then you really will never know which one you want.

I will say that I the QA is nothing like a Glock. The Glock has a light take up, with a final sharp single action feel at the end. The QA is a steady, but much shorter pull than a double action, with a longer reset than the Glock or the AS.

So, get out there, hit the pavement, call every gun store in your range and see if you can locate some P99's to dry fire.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
So I'm finally going to buy my P99. Which type of trigger should I get?
It depends upon the primary purpose for the pistol. Target shooting or self-defense? A bunch of SD guys would tell you to get the pistol that has the same trigger pull every time...

Others are more use to the traditional DA/SA mode so that is what they opt for...

Personally I like the DA/SA mode...I think that is what makes the P99 stand out as a unique striker fired weapon. I use mine for competition and SD...so I train with only one gun/one trigger style. Better for muscle memory training.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I really like the trigger on my P99, it is pre-AS.

I like the "DA" option for the first shot. The SA is pretty nice on my example. I think with the AS trigger you have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Having only fired the SA version, I can't testify to the QA or DAO. I know that the Single-action fire is very abrupt and takes some getting used to, the weapon fires in the very last millimeters of the pull. When rapid firing, I've had incidences where I didn't pull the trigger far enough back, and thus no round fired. The location where the weapon fires is nowhere near the middle of the pull, as with many other guns I've fired. You also have to let the trigger all the way out in SA mode. So it's a long pull for rapid-fire in my opinion.

I was sort of just writing as I thought, so if you need anything made more clear, please feel free to ask :p

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
So it sounds like forget DAO.
AS if you are used to DA/SAs like PPK.
QA if you are used to Glock, Steyr, etc.

That sounds like a good wrap up of the subject:D

There is nothing like getting your hands on all of them and trying, except the DAO which was only created for lawsuit concious law enforcment agencies. I personally like both the QA and AS for different purposes.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I thought one way to try out the different triggers in person, would be to go to Smith & Wesson's own range and use their "Try a Gun" program (it would be little more than an hour away for me), but one phone call and I was told no Walther products are included in the program. You would think if S&W is marketing Walther's guns and S&W has their name stamped all over the things, they would be included in the rest of their marketing efforts. Any chance requests from a number of Walther fans might change that?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Call around to your local stores to see if the S&W rep will be coming in any time soon. This was how i was able to try out the P99; the rep had a -ton- of S&W and Walther samples with him.

Of course, after shooting 20 rounds I took it back to the rep and bought one.

thorn

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
I thought one way to try out the different triggers in person, would be to go to Smith & Wesson's own range and use their "Try a Gun" program (it would be little more than an hour away for me), but one phone call and I was told no Walther products are included in the program. You would think if S&W is marketing Walther's guns and S&W has their name stamped all over the things, they would be included in the rest of their marketing efforts. Any chance requests from a number of Walther fans might change that?
That's unbelievable, especially given the fact the S&W's customer service is as good as anyone in the industry (and far better than most everyone else). It also might explain why so many of us have had such a &*#$^#*^$ hard time getting our hands on a PPS, even for a simple look-see.

It's a shame that Walther doesn't do a better of marketing in the USA; at the same time, it's becoming clear that the Walther folks in Germany have selected a reluctant partner -- one whose aims and objectives seem to be in direct competition with Walther's. And in the meantime, the rest of us are stuck in the middle. A complaint to Walther in Germany ought to be as effective as one to S&W/WaltherAmerica. On the other hand, what's the chance that either one of them would pay attention? :mad:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Call around to your local stores to see if the S&W rep will be coming in any time soon. This was how i was able to try out the P99; the rep had a -ton- of S&W and Walther samples with him.

Of course, after shooting 20 rounds I took it back to the rep and bought one.

thorn
Good idea. There's nothing like in-person contact to get heard. From the discussions here (and your excellent video, BTW), I'm 99% sure I want a 9mm AS, but it would be nice to try one first.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts