Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I hope I don't drive anyone crazy with this but this is my second go around with purchasing the CCP M2. Last time I wet to buy one I bought an S&W, M&P Shield instead. I bought the S&W mainly becasue I got such a good deal on it with the built in Crimson Trace laser. My biggest complaints about the S&W is the difficulty in racking the slide, especially for my wife and the fact that the slide release is so tight it takes two hands to release it.

One of the biggest pluses for the CCP M2 is the easy racking action (I have tendonitis) and the soft recoil system is also attractive to me. However I hear that the softer recoil is not that much better than the PPS M2 so that seems like a negligible feature but since I have never fired on I don't know if that is true for certain.

My other concern is reliabilty. I have read a few complaints about the CCP mishandling ammo and also ejecting magazines unnexpectedly. So, with that I am now considering buying the PPS M2. Any suggestins about which pistol might be best overall would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help form members.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Get the PPS. It has a PROVEN track record.

If you can find a range that has a PPS and a CCP to rent, try them out, and decide for yourself.

Reactions: Mandomom

·
Registered
629 Posts
You can still acquire the PPS M2 for $300 or less on gunbroker or other sites. That coupled with its proven track record should be all of the prodding that you need :)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The PPS is the better gun. As far as manipulating the slide, you may actually want to look at some other options such as the M&P Shirld 380 EZ. Easiest gun there is:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Have to vote so far with the majority . . . . PPS M2 . . . BUT !!!!!
GO to a gun shop and both of you rack the puppy several times to verify it will meet the easy factor :) before you take it home !

There are easier ! But you would have to down grade to a 380 acp.
My wife picked out her own (and paid for it herself !) after interviewing some
20 candidates, and shooting the final 5 . . . . .she put her cash on
Sig P238, 380acp, two tone, hogue grips, nite sights, sig laser....she happy:)

DON'T rush, look hard before you adopt !
(((( if you do get the PPS . . . Get the M2 LE model, has upgraded sights and 3 mags ! 6-7-8rd )))) good hunting

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have both and love both of them. However I feel lucky that my CCP M1 has been good to me. Too many people have had issues to recommend it. I too brought it for my wife, but she can not get through a full magazine with out a fail to feed. She is a LEO and has plenty of experience shooting. I on the other hand have not had any issues. I’m assuming it’s her wrist strength.

That being said the PPS m2 is far more dependable for her. I typically put about 400 rounds a week through my PPS and other then losing the white dots on my rear sights have never had an issue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have to vote so far with the majority . . . . PPS M2 . . . BUT !!!!!
GO to a gun shop and both of you rack the puppy several times to verify it will meet the easy factor :) before you take it home !

There are easier ! But you would have to down grade to a 380 acp.
My wife picked out her own (and paid for it herself !) after interviewing some
20 candidates, and shooting the final 5 . . . . .she put her cash on
Sig P238, 380acp, two tone, hogue grips, nite sights, sig laser....she happy:)

DON'T rush, look hard before you adopt !
(((( if you do get the PPS . . . Get the M2 LE model, has upgraded sights and 3 mags ! 6-7-8rd )))) good hunting
I am not that interested in the .380 calber but I have looked at the Shield .380 EZ and you are correct in saying that it is super easy to rack. The first time I racked I wasn't expecting it to slide that easily and I nearly tore the slide off with way too much effort. I am kidding of course but compared to my 9mm M&P Shield it feels like a toy. Otherwsie I hear it's a very good and very dependable weapon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have two CCPs. They have both been flawless. I also have the PPS. I like the CCP better and carry it more. The PPS is flatter but does not have as good of a trigger.

I have the PPS (M1) with paddle release. I wasn't interested in the PPS M2 simply because I would have to buy new mags. It also came out after I already bought my two CCPs.

Yes there have been problems with the CCP and none with the PPS.

All I can do is talk about my sample of two. I love them. My wife likes the CCP because it is easier for her to rack.

Another advantage for the PPS is availability of night sights. None so far for the CCP.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello bkellyusa, I found it interesting that you mentioned the magazine disengaging when using the firearm. I had the same problem also, along with failure to feed issues. The failures were intermittent but often enough to eliminate it as a carry pistol, so, I sold it. I carry my firearms, and this ccp just wasn’t reliable in my hands. In addition I didn’t see any real advantage in the manipulation of the slide or recoil. It’s cumbersome to break down and clean, and isn’t anymore accurate than my other handguns.
If I was a collector I would have kept it because of its unique blow back design, but to answers your question.....I don’t know if improvements were made to the m2 other than the elimination of the tool.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello bkellyusa, I found it interesting that you mentioned the magazine disengaging when using the firearm. I had the same problem also, along with failure to feed issues. The failures were intermittent but often enough to eliminate it as a carry pistol, so, I sold it. I carry my firearms, and this ccp just wasn’t reliable in my hands. In addition I didn’t see any real advantage in the manipulation of the slide or recoil. It’s cumbersome to break down and clean, and isn’t anymore accurate than my other handguns.
If I was a collector I would have kept it because of its unique blow back design, but to answers your question.....I don’t know if improvements were made to the m2 other than the elimination of the tool.
It's shame that the CCP has had enough problems that it might be considered a risk to buy because it's an ingenious design if the soft recoil system actually reduces the recol by the 30% that I've heard that the factory claims. Owners of the gun say that it's not nearly anything like 30%. Like you I honestly don't know how much has been upgraded on the M2 version. If I knew that it was more reliable I would definitley purchase one. Maybe I'll be waiting for the M3 upgrade.

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
I have two CCPs. They have both been flawless. I also have the PPS. I like the CCP better and carry it more. The PPS is flatter but does not have as good of a trigger.

I have the PPS (M1) with paddle release. I wasn't interested in the PPS M2 simply because I would have to buy new mags. It also came out after I already bought my two CCPs.

All I can do is talk about my sample of two. I love them. My wife likes the CCP because it is easier for her to rack.

Another advantage for the PPS is availability of night sights. None so far for the CCP.
Hello. I believe Truglo makes their TFX Pro sights for the CCP. They are excellent combat sights.

uglo makes their TFX Pro for the CCP.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

What's your opinion of the soft recoil system. In reviews and in videos that I've seen most people claim that it doesn't really make that much difference. I'd like to know what you think since that is one of the pistols best features.

Also, how many rounds have you run through the two CCP's that you have?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What's your opinion of the soft recoil system. In reviews and in videos that I've seen most people claim that it doesn't really make that much difference. I'd like to know what you think since that is one of the pistols best features.

Also, how many rounds have you run through the two CCP's that you have?
I've been looking at the PPS M2 on the internet but I don't see a thumb style safety on it. Does it really have one or is that a special model?

·
Registered
208 Posts
The CCP has a thumb safety. The PPS does not.

I think the felt recoil is similar... getting either back on target for follow up shots is easy. Maybe a little better for me with the CCP but nothing dramatic

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi bkellyusa, I haven’t shot the PPS, so I cannot comment on it. Just know it’s a very nice pistol. I have had one in my hand, but it didn’t feel right for me. On the other hand, I own a CCP M2 and I really like it. The trigger gets better every time I go to the range, or practice dry firing. It just feels like it was made for my hand. It’s easy for my arthritic hands to manipulate and it’s easy for me to take down to clean. (My sweet husband will not let me own a gun that I cannot clean!) The only issue I’ve had is that it does not like cheap ammo, I have some that still has a fine film of case lube on it and that seems to gum things up. (Yes, I will have to clean each bullet before use now) It will go through pretty much everything else.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have both

My first ccw 8 yrs ago was my PPS. At that time the only alternative was the Shield, but I loved the paddles, so PPS it was. Then came the CCP and I jumped into the bandwagon early. The CCP had to go three times to Walther. However, After the third time, I had no more problems. The PPS is easier to conceal; the CCP is more ergonomic and is easier to rack the slide. The PPS is easier to disassemble. The PPS had a proven track record. All things considered, If I had to have one, I would choose the PPS. However, I still use my CCP in my carry rotation, because Walthers feel better in pairs.:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts