Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two choices - both are .40 S&W; AS trigger; German made & proofed; in box with papers, sights, backstraps, tools; and in 95% condition.

#1 is a first generation; olive-green framed; with two 10-round magazines.

#2 is a second generation, with two 12-round magazines.

What do you recommend? Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
What price for each? I'd say the 12 round mags would add a few bucks to the value. As for choosing between the two generations, I've never seen any real advantage a second gen has over the original when pulling the trigger. Just my .002 cents!

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I like the 2nd gen, personally. Everyone grumbled over the looks of the extended mag release when it first came out.

But damn - it's even MORE convenient once you try it.

I also think the slide looks kewler on the 2nd gen

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
All else equal, I'd take the early gun every time. Leaving aside the mag release, the differences are essentially cosmetic--and not for the better. The retained value of a discontinued model is usually higher, and two mags are not enough in any case--you'll still need to buy a couple more, and the 10-shotters are adequate for range practice.

M

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, so far this is decisive - 2 for first gen, 2 for second gen:)

Actually, the answers are very interesting.

Identical pricing by the way.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I say #2. Better mag release and more useful higher capacity mags. I also will add my 2 cents here on the color. If you are looking at holding value as other have suggested almost saying the first gen will hold value better. That color combo (OD green) has not had a good sales history over the past couple of months here on the board. Several members have had trouble selling those OD green models and I don't think I would want to risk buying that color combo and then have trouble selling it in the future.

Unless you are a collector of OD guns, I wouldn't even second guess it ... buy the #2 gun.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Another vote for the first gen, and olive green looks very good

although my vote is very shallow headed, I simply like the looks a bit more, that is how I knew the P99, as a first gen. The good thing is, any one you choose I am sure you will be very satisfied

saludos

H

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a second gen P99 as in 40. From what I have read, it comes down to cosmetics. They will shoot the same. Personally, I owned an SW990L, which shares a few traits with the first gen P99. I found that the hump in the trigger guard rubbed my trigger finger. After shooting a hundred rounds or so in a session, my finger became sore. I also prefer the larger slide serrations - I think they are easier to grasp. The larger mag release also seems to be a plus for me, although I have let two other people use my pistol who have somehow managed to dump the mag while firing. This NEVER happens to me.

The first gen is in all the movies, but the second gen appeals to me. Either way, you get a sweet range and carry piece. You can't go wrong!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do what I did....buy both:D

As mentioned elsewhere on this site, I still dunno how the hell I did it, but I went from no interest in a P-99 two months ago to having purchased three P-99's in 24 hrs. One black GEN IIQA in .40, One green GEN I in .40 & another green GEN I in 9mm. Both greens in AS. The 9mm is going to my brother though. I'm anxious to see the difference between QA & AS, 1st & 2nd Gen...

·
Patron
212 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what is the price on the military/green 1st gen??

·
Registered
93 Posts
BOTH!!

Just kidding. Honestly, for what it is worth, I wouldn't let the cosmetics of the guns affect your choice too much... not because it isn't important (it is), but because your perceptions might change. Case in point: I had owned my First Gen several years before buying my Second Gen. I always disliked the newer look but bought it anyway because I loved the way the gun functioned and didn't think you could get First Gens anymore. After owning the gun for several months now, its look has really grown on me. While I still prefer the 1st Gen aesthetically, I am actually quite fond of the 2nd Gen's looks as well.

Functionally, the extended mag release IS nice, but it is one of those things I didn't know I needed until I had it. :) The other changes were pointless imo.

I'd go with #2.

·
Patron
212 Posts
Thanks.........now I know mine is priced right.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm another guy who prefers the more "European" look of the Gen 1 pistol. Although I don't own an OD gun, I personally like the look. All things being equal I'd buy the Gen 1 gun and pick up a newer gun at a later date - they'll be around.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts