Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is my first post, hopefully I can get some good feedback because i'm really excited about getting my first Walther! I'm looking at a 2004 model P99 in 9mm. Ideally, I would want a 2004 P99 AS with a titanium slide, but that doesn't exist. The 2004 titanium slides seem to be a much whiter and brighter titanium as opposed to the dull titanium that i don't really like on the 2003 models (or am I wrong?? - at least the pics i've seen look that way) And now that I hear the 2004 AS models are getting either impossible to find or way to expensive, should I just forget about it and go QA? I am seriously looking at the 2004 P99 QA with the titanium slide, because its the easier to find QA model and most of all it can be bright titanium, but I don't know if I will like the heavy (although nice and short) trigger pull of the QA. Maybe i would cut the spring? (only if it made the trigger significantly lighter and wouldn't cause any problems). I would want a really light trigger pull because it would be mainly for target shooting, and when I do carry it, i don't think i would ever carry it with one in the pipe. So i guess what it really comes down to is AS or QA? (i know, it's a very popular forum question). So should I go with the amazing looking titanium and the probably easier purchase of the QA, or should i go with the (better?/lighter) trigger pull of the AS in all black? Would I be happy with the QA?? I've seriously read every post on every forum on the internet about this and the more i read the more differing feedback i get. I know i should try them out and decide, but I don't know of anywhere that rents them. Someone just tell me what one to get! haha. thanks a lot. -Dave from Rochester, NY

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I had three AS models at one time. Now I have 4 QA's and no AS models. If that means anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you're going to carry, why would you carry without a round chambered? If you're looking for a target gun, that's one thing, but if you're going to carry, carry something you feel confident carrying correctly. At least with the AS, once you learn the trigger, the first shot comes out without having to do anything but pull the trigger, though you have to pull really hard!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dave,

You "hear" that they are expensive or impossible to find? Go to different gun shops to ask for prices and about getting them ordered.

I got the 04 AS becaused I wanted my gun soon but what I really wanted was an 05 AS with the extended mag release that I prob. could have gotten if I had waited. Point is I am happy with my gun and think its great but...I will always wonder if I had just ordered the 05 and waited that I would be a little happier with my expensive purchase.

I have never heard that Walther used different types of Titanium...I would not put money on it but I think that you just saw a few pics with different lighting and arrived at a misguided conclusion.

The AS trigger system to me is like eating warm chocolate chip cookies and I can't get enough. Go for the AS trigger NOW because you can always get a QA later.

If you are going to carry a gun...carry it "with one in the pipe" and I can not emphasize how important that is. The holster will protect your trigger guard but an unloaded gun will not protect you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. I am probably going to try and get a 2004 AS model soon, because you are right, I can always get a QA later. I know how important it is to carry it loaded, but like I said, this gun will be primarily for target and range use, and my range actually doesn't allow anyone to even approach the firing line with a loaded gun. You are required to unload at a special station before even entering the range. But otherwise, I totally agree with you that if you carry, it might as well be ready to go. Thanks again, and hopefully I will be making plenty of posts in the near future. -Dave

·
Registered
354 Posts
So many people dislike the Walther beacuse of the trigger. I say go play with the triggers, or look at the info online. Get the trigger you want, not what is range appropriate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i shot the AS at first and really liked it, but then ended up gettin a QA cuz it was all i could get my hands on around here and u know what? i love it, consistent trigger pull is awesome.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's good to hear that. It sounds like i'm going to be happy with either model I end up with. I guess If I can get the harder to find 2004 AS model at a reasonable price (less than 700) I will go for it. If it turns out to be a pain to find or too much money, I will go for a 2004 QA titanium. I think i'm just having such a hard time because both are such great choices! I'm also a little worried that the QA trigger, although short and consistent, will be a little too heavy of a pull like some say it is. Any thoughts? Like i said, I really just have to get myself to a store and dry fire away. Thanks everyone. -Dave

p.s. does anyone have the 2004 QA Titanium? is it the same color titanium as the 2003 models or not? it might just be the different lighting in the pictures like onebigcubano said.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sportsman's Warehouse seems to consistently stock the P99 in AS and QA.

I have been storing my '05 AS cocked to single action and the spring has relaxed nicely.

·
Registered
93 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (bhp @ June 08 2005,9:09)]Why is the 04 AS apparently more expensive? I've missed something somewhere.
Thanks!
I haven't heard that it is.
Sportsman's Warehouse has been consistent in their price for about the past year. They sell a P99 for $550.00 plus tax, 9mm or .40 cal and AS or QA are all the same price regardless of date code.

·
Registered
53 Posts
around here the price was the same, just availability that was the issue between the AS and QA. however, since greater demand than supply drives price in just about anything, i could easily see how the price of the AS has inflated.

as far as the trigger being too heavy, it is heavier than the single action of the AS but no one disputes that. however, is it too heavy to where it's "uncomfortable" to shoot? i'd say no. would it be too heavy of a pull if u ever had to use it in defense, i'd definitely say no. like u said though, either choice u make will be a good one since ur still gettin the same gun essentially.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I bought an 04 AS one month ago in a gun shop for $550 and the 04 QA next to it was $525 both were NIB and with hi-cap mags...I can't remember if they were both 9mm. Titanium guns were selling for $25 more than their equivalent non-titanium guns in that shop. Anything I wanted could be ordered but it would a number of weeks as the owner said.

If you are paying for anything...ask and you shall receive...in general lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts