Walther Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm potentially in the market for a fullize P99 AS... it was on my short list which 9mm to buy last year for my first CCW handgun, but I found a great deal on a Glock 19 and went that way. But a year later, I find myself still looking fondly at the P99. So here's the question - i've noticed there are 3 styles of trigger guard.

Pre-2004: 'ski hump' guard with short mag release
Transitional-2004: 'no hump' guard with long mag release
Post-2005: 'no hump' guard with long mag release

I prefer the appearance of the Pre-2004, but we all know looks isn't everything. Those that have shot both - is one style better than the other, or is it basically a dead heat?

Also, is one style better in terms of manipulating the mag release (long lever vs short lever)? Does the longer lever present any danger of "catching" on something inadvertandly?

For the record, i have a smaller-than-average hand size... dont know how much that matters, but thought I'd add that.

Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks! :)

thorn

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I am only aware of two frame styles...pre/post 04....now some of the post 04 mods have either short or long mag release...later versions all long release.

I have both frame styles with short mag release. I liked them both so I go one of each.

As per shooting and other after market goodies...I like the post 04 model.

Hump or humpless doesn't bother me one way or the other...hump can rub your finger raw depending on your trigger finger placement....

I have only short mag release...I like it for its looks and the fact that all of my p99s are the same...but I have manipulated the long mag release and I must say that I like it very much...much easier to use. Could it snag on something or you accidently depress it because of its proximty to the trigger finger? Someone else will have to answer that one....

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Pre-2004: 'ski hump' guard with short mag release
Transitional-2004: 'no hump' guard with long mag release
Post-2005: 'no hump' guard with long mag release
Actually, U are almost right - the 2004 frame has the new frame but a SHORT mag release.

The long mag release came up in 2005, and the trigger guard has a SLIGHt change to the front of it. So, yes, there is 3 different frames.

I have a 2004 compact and a 2005 fullsize P99 with the longer release.

When the longer release came out, many didn't like it because of the way it looks. But, I will be honest - having the compact and the SW99 with the short mag release - once U get used to the long release, you will definetly prefer it. It is even more convienient.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts