• Meprolight

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Other(specify)

Votes: 10 29.4%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I use Earl's Night Sights, but they use Tritium inserts from Trijicon. The thing that made me chose Earl's was the cut on the rear sight that seems to prevent snagging.

-I'd stay away from Mepro's since they don't last as long Trijicon's product.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BreakerDave @ Sep. 12 2004,4:27)]...the cut on the rear sight that seems to prevent snagging.
When you say "the cut", dou you mean the shape, the way they are machined?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (green5 @ Sep. 12 2004,6:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BreakerDave @ Sep. 12 2004,4:27)]...the cut on the rear sight that seems to prevent snagging.
When you say "the cut", dou you mean the shape, the way they are machined?
Yeah, the way they were machined-

·
Registered
356 Posts
Of my six P99s, one of which is a P99 Compact AS, four have night sights. Of those, three are Earl's "EARL2" night sights. The other uses Meprolights. Earl's are the most expensive, but are of the highest quality, and have the best contours.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
excuse my ignorance but...

Are Earl's night sights a drop in replacement, or will I have to send him my slide?

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (blueiron @ Sep. 17 2004,12:57)]Is a sight installation tool required for the rear night sight?
No, a spring loaded detent catches the screw that is on the side of the sight.  When the detent is pressed down, it releases the  screw and the rear sight can be slid out.

Two things-

1) Be careful when you release the detent, because without the rear sight to hold it in place the spring can launch it.  Keep your body in front of it, so if it springs, it'll only hit your chest and stay in front of you.

2) Use a radiused screwdriver to remove the screw from the rear sight so it can be installed in the rear night sight.  The screwdriver will have slightly rounded edges to prevent scratching.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have factory sights on one...

XSights Big Dot 24/7 on my compact...

And Meps on another, the one I use for USPSA shooting...the Meps show up better....easy installation and rock solid.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i've got mep tru-dots that came factory on my CZ75BD police that i like. they work well both day and night.

jake, you seen my new pistol yet? hopefully i'll see you tuesday.

frye

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I think Jake has a new pistol to show soon too..

let's all hope he will show it off soon

·
Registered
821 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BreakerDave @ Sep. 12 2004,10:27)]-I'd stay away from Mepro's since they don't last as long Trijicon's product.
I checked my Meprolight instructions and warranty card.  

The Meps have the same 12 year power-source warranty that the Trijicon's have  (Trijicon Law Enforcement Website, click on the picture under "Bright & Tough Night Sights).

I've noticed that my Meps on both my P99 and my 1911 are brighter than a friend's duty GLOCK that is outfitted with the Trijicons.  My personal opinion is that the Meps are easier to pick up quickly.

I'm not bashing one brand or another.  Just stating facts and my observations.

-stunks

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've posted this before, but I've found that the same maker's sights can vary greatly from gun to gun. I have a set of Trijicons on my Beretta 92G Vertec and they are bright and very easy to acquire in the daylight. I had a set of Trijicons on my Glock 17 that were absolutely horrible in the daylight -- so I changed them for a set of fiber optics (for USPSA competition).

So it's more than just the manufacturer (Mepro vs. Trij) but also how they made the sight for a particular gun. I may break down and put a set on my P99 -- but I'm going to check out the exact set first...and not just rely on manufacturer's reputation. Caveat emptor.

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use Earl's Night Sights, but they use Tritium inserts from Trijicon. The thing that made me chose Earl's was the cut on the rear sight that seems to prevent snagging.

-I'd stay away from Mepro's since they don't last as long Trijicon's product.
Hi Breakerdave,

I was wondering if you had any pictures of your p99 with the EARL2 sights that you could post? I was wondering if they are shorter in height than the stock plastic sights, and if the sight picture is tighter (when you look through the rear, the front sight lines up perfectly with no side-to-side room)?

Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts