Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No preference

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which caliber do you like better...9mm or the 40cal ?? Why ??

I guess I like both...the 9mm cause it is very cheap to shoot plus its extremely accurate & the 40 because of the power...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I prefer 9mm. I don't have much experience with the .40, but I love the super avalibility of 9mm ammo, as well as it's rock-bottom price. It's a great combination.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like 9mm cause it's cheap and still fairly effective with a good quality defense ammo and the higer capacity is not too shabby either.

matches

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have both and shoot both, but prefer the option of shooting 155 to 180 gr. .40 cal bullets at or near the same speeds as the 115gr to 125 gr. 9mm. bullets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Normally I prefer 9mm.   But I often end up with 40s becuase they end up at the shop for decent prices.  Unfrortunitly I think like thier previous owners I decided the recoil is more then enough for my small self and end up selling them.   The absolute worst was the Berretta 96D and the best was a SW99C in 40 which I now regret selling.

That being said my P99 OD is in 40.  I just took it to the range again this week and man ill tell ya the platform seems to handle the 40 beter than any I have seen.  The more I shoot it the more accurate and enjoyible.  

Definitly a keeper.  Now if I would find a compact for a decent price id be happy.

Rev Rob

·
Registered
109 Posts
I found my P99C 9mm a lot easier to shoot than my H&K USPc 40. Much more manageable and able to keep quick followup shots on target. I really really LOVE my H&K, so I may trade it for a 9mm. I just don't see that much advantage to the 40 S&W over the 9mm, especially using Corbon 125gr +P on my P99C.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i'm a 9mm man. the +'s outweigh the -'s (which aren't many).

the .40 does pack a little more energy than the 9mm, but, IMHO, that where the .40's advantages end (and high-quality +P 9mm defensive rounds close this gap in terminal results quite well, the .40S&W is already loaded to it's pressure limit in stardard loadings, according to SAAMI).

9mm is cheaper, is higher-cap in the same pistol, has better recoil characteristics in the same pistol and is more readily available. did i mention it was cheaper
? cheaper equals more practice, which equals more proficiency, which equals better real-world results.

the .357sig is a better performer than the .40S&W with the same capacity and recoil concerns, although even more expensive to feed . . . .

frye

·
Registered
20 Posts
I like 'em both. I have two 9mm and two .40 handguns. I love the smooth feel of my 9mm and ease of handling. It's alot easier to keep on target for follow on shots. However, I love the feel of power in my hands. The .40 is a bit more difficult to get back on target after the each shot, but I enjoy the challenge. I am more accurate with my 9mm weapons, but learning to control the .40 and seeing myself improve my accuracy is well worth the extra costs of the .40 bullets.

·
Registered
109 Posts
That is the one reason I've decided to keep my H&K and not trade it - I want to have at least one "big" gun.  All my guns are compact (including the H&K), but the USP .40 is by far the biggest one and the one that goes BANG the hardest.  I was recently introduced to the joys of 9mm with my Walther P99C, and if I had to choose today, I'd say 9mm (as long as I have my .40S&W as backup somewhere, just in case...)

I also recently got into .357 magnum with a revolver, and I have to say I'm not liking that one little bit...

·
Registered
525 Posts
9mm for cheap practice...shot placement is where its at. Always have the 10mm in the safe if I feel the need to step up a little.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've only fired a .40 one time: a Glock subcompact. I don't know how it would have been in full size, or if it had a place for my small finger, but shooting the thing in the middle of summer, I almost lost control of the gun. By the time I got 2/3 through a box of 50 rounds, my palms were sweaty and the gun wanted to slip out of my hand.

I'll stay with the calmer 9mm for now.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I've only shot a PX4 in 40 at the National Range Day that Beretta put on last month. First and only time for .40. In all honesty - it wasn't that bad on that particular gun. But, I have no interest in the round myself...

·
Registered
471 Posts
9mm!
It's accurate, cheaper, moderate recoil, higher capacity, powerful enough and most nines don't blow up...:p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts