Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40Cal>>More power,Bigger Holes

• No preference

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Normally I prefer 9mm.   But I often end up with 40s becuase they end up at the shop for decent prices.  Unfrortunitly I think like thier previous owners I decided the recoil is more then enough for my small self and end up selling them.   The absolute worst was the Berretta 96D and the best was a SW99C in 40 which I now regret selling.

That being said my P99 OD is in 40.  I just took it to the range again this week and man ill tell ya the platform seems to handle the 40 beter than any I have seen.  The more I shoot it the more accurate and enjoyible.  

Definitly a keeper.  Now if I would find a compact for a decent price id be happy.

Rev Rob

· Registered
108 Posts
I found my P99C 9mm a lot easier to shoot than my H&K USPc 40. Much more manageable and able to keep quick followup shots on target. I really really LOVE my H&K, so I may trade it for a 9mm. I just don't see that much advantage to the 40 S&W over the 9mm, especially using Corbon 125gr +P on my P99C.

· Registered
83 Posts
i'm a 9mm man. the +'s outweigh the -'s (which aren't many).

the .40 does pack a little more energy than the 9mm, but, IMHO, that where the .40's advantages end (and high-quality +P 9mm defensive rounds close this gap in terminal results quite well, the .40S&W is already loaded to it's pressure limit in stardard loadings, according to SAAMI).

9mm is cheaper, is higher-cap in the same pistol, has better recoil characteristics in the same pistol and is more readily available. did i mention it was cheaper
? cheaper equals more practice, which equals more proficiency, which equals better real-world results.

the .357sig is a better performer than the .40S&W with the same capacity and recoil concerns, although even more expensive to feed . . . .

frye

· Registered
20 Posts
I like 'em both. I have two 9mm and two .40 handguns. I love the smooth feel of my 9mm and ease of handling. It's alot easier to keep on target for follow on shots. However, I love the feel of power in my hands. The .40 is a bit more difficult to get back on target after the each shot, but I enjoy the challenge. I am more accurate with my 9mm weapons, but learning to control the .40 and seeing myself improve my accuracy is well worth the extra costs of the .40 bullets.

· Registered
108 Posts
That is the one reason I've decided to keep my H&K and not trade it - I want to have at least one "big" gun.  All my guns are compact (including the H&K), but the USP .40 is by far the biggest one and the one that goes BANG the hardest.  I was recently introduced to the joys of 9mm with my Walther P99C, and if I had to choose today, I'd say 9mm (as long as I have my .40S&W as backup somewhere, just in case...)

I also recently got into .357 magnum with a revolver, and I have to say I'm not liking that one little bit...

· Registered
7 Posts
I've only fired a .40 one time: a Glock subcompact. I don't know how it would have been in full size, or if it had a place for my small finger, but shooting the thing in the middle of summer, I almost lost control of the gun. By the time I got 2/3 through a box of 50 rounds, my palms were sweaty and the gun wanted to slip out of my hand.

I'll stay with the calmer 9mm for now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.