Walther Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
DUE ,I would pay good money to see you throttle a wild boar that was wounded or a deer either for that matter ,you must have humongous hands 😀. I do realize what you said was in jest .it has been my unfortunate duty to finish off two deer hit by cars a Critical Defense 147 grain jhp to the back of the head was instantaneous termination delivered from a Sig 938 . Didn't realize at the time magazine wasn't fully inserted and dropped free and I lost it when I drug the deer out of middle of road ,extended mag too . Ah well no good deed goes unpunished ,it was worth it for my wife's peace of mind ,she hit the deer and then ran over it's legs .,broke them all, pain must have been terrible . Ayb

Discussion starter · #22 · (Edited)
Many thanks for your reply.
I know the Critical Defense by reports about that ammunition in Germany. But at time it isn't available anywhere in Germany. Whether this special ammunition is offered somewhere, one learns only by chance, especially concerning the version with 147 grs.
That's also valid for the Hornady Critical Duty. A year ago, it was pure coincidence that I was able to buy 50 shots 9mm Critical Duty 135 grs.

Discussion starter · #24 · (Edited)
Yes, that's allowed.
But as it is in Germany for nearly all things in connection with weapons, you have to apply an official permit for storing the gun powder. Before of that you have to join a course and prove that you store the powder in accordance with the mandatory regulations.
That was and is always way too elaborate and cumbersome for me.
You can get bullets without any permit.

DUE ,I would pay good money to see you throttle a wild boar that was wounded or a deer either for that matter ,you must have humongous hands 😀. I do realize what you said was in jest .............. Ayb

I do have large hands, but I would never actually go "hands on" with a wild animal that's been injured.

I do have large hands, but I would never actually go "hands on" with a wild animal that's been injured.
An interesting story to read is "The Rifle and the Hound in Ceylon" by Samuel Baker. Baker used a large knife to kill wild boar and deer. Of course his hounds had it throttled when he walked up and stabbed the animal. But I personally would have used a spear.

DUE ,I would pay good money to see you throttle a wild boar that was wounded or a deer either for that matter ,you must have humongous hands 😀. I do realize what you said was in jest .it has been my unfortunate duty to finish off two deer hit by cars a Critical Defense 147 grain jhp to the back of the head was instantaneous termination delivered from a Sig 938 . Didn't realize at the time magazine wasn't fully inserted and dropped free and I lost it when I drug the deer out of middle of road ,extended mag too . Ah well no good deed goes unpunished ,it was worth it for my wife's peace of mind ,she hit the deer and then ran over it's legs .,broke them all, pain must have been terrible . Ayb

An interesting story to read is "The Rifle and the Hound in Ceylon" by Samuel Baker. Baker used a large knife to kill wild boar and deer. Of course his hounds had it throttled when he walked up and stabbed the animal. But I personally would have used a spear.

Discussion starter · #30 · (Edited)
If you try to visit with a knife or a spear a wounded wild boar, which regards a very dense, almost impenetrable scrub as its current most comfortable home, you will be pretty astonished about the active welcome greetings of the wild boar towards you. It will become difficult to avoid welcome kisses to your legs or to your body. Also a rifle isn't an appropiate gift avoiding quickly enough such kisses of a wounded wild boar in such home. During such visit the most appropiate gift for calming down the excited welcome greetings of the boar are a pistol or a revolver with some excellent chill pills in it. LOL

With this reply I end my participation in the threat, although I have started it.
I've gotten enough good advices for using my P5 compact with the appropriate ammunition for finishing shots.
Many thanks to all participants.

One can generally identify what ammo will feed properly in a P5 (or in a P38 for that matter) by fully loading the magazine very carefully with 8 rounds. Do it with sensitive fingers, not a LulaLoader or somesuch. By the 7th or 8th round, if you feel the nose of the bullet of the bottom cartridge scrubbing the curved front wall of the magazine body, exercise the column up and down with a finger to see if "settling" the column makes the scrubbing go away. If it does not, and the scrubbing is still palpable, malfunctions are likely. The cause is that those particular cartridges have too long OAL, or the bullets are too square-nosed to fit inside the curve of the magazine without binding and are interrupting the smooth upward movement of the column each time the slide opens.

Also, when you finish loading the mag, the top cartridge may be in a nose-down attitude and not aligned with the angle of the magazine lips. Pressing down on the top cartridge and letting it snap up (which simulates what occurs every time the slide cycles) should cause it to pivot up under and parallel to the mag lips --in which attitude the bullet nose will be aimed at the chamber mouth. If it doesn't, there isn't enough magazine spring pressure: the mag is dirty or the spring is weak or incorrectly assembled. This forces the feed ramp to perform extra work lifting up the bullet nose, robbing the action of operating power.

M

It's not very helpful at all. "FTE" and "FTF" are practically useless. FTE might mean Failure to Eject, or Failure to Extract, which are quite different. FTF might mean Failure to Feed, or Failure to Fire, also quite different.

M

People who are lazy and use abbreviations do not realize that many people reading their posts simply skip reading them when they see abbreviations in their reply's that they do not understand so they wasted their time even replying to a thread.

It's not very helpful at all. "FTE" and "FTF" are practically useless. FTE might mean Failure to Eject, or Failure to Extract, which are quite different. FTF might mean Failure to Feed, or Failure to Fire, also quite different.
I agree - in this particular case. The same member has enquired about various abbreviations which have cropped up in other threads. The ambiguity of the terms FTF and FTE is already recognised, which is why I qualified my recommendation by stating that the list “might” help.

It would, of course, be helpful to everyone if posters were less lazy in their typing and more specific in their descriptions of malfunctions. Abbreviations should generally only be used to avoid repetition in texts where the full terms have already been written.

Searches are also made more difficult by abbreviating. For example, if someone is searching for Delta Point Pro they will miss several texts where the poster has insisted on writing DPP.

Balor

Second range session, this time with WWB and UMC ammo. Approx. 250 rounds fired without any type of failures. Then went back to Blazer and had a few FTF's. Therefore, it seems that it doesn't like Blazer, but does just fine with regular brass-cased ammo

Discussion starter · #37 · (Edited)
To enlighten an ignorant German: What do mean the abreviations FTF and FTE?
Abbreviations are (unfortunately) used very frequently on this and other forums. Not only are they confusing for those who don't understand them, they can also make searches more difficult.

The following list might help you in future:

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum...sues/10667-how-about-those-abbreviations.html

Balor
For people using too many abbreviations in their threads or replies on an internet forum we have in Germany a funny term: Such people suffer from a special illness, they suffer from the "Aküfi". "Aküfi" is the German abbreviation of the word "Abkürzungsfimmel", literal English translations of "Abkürzungsfimmel" are abbreviation mania or abbreviation craze.
It's said that this disease can only be cured by discomfort or obvious disregard towards the infested patient. 😄

I shortened the barrels of a double rifle in .700 Nitro Express to 10 inches. Its quite impressive to see the 20 foot muzzle flash which burns down all the underbrush within a 100 yard radius making it easier to see the forest floor. I use 120 grains of super blaster powder topped with an explosive bullet. There is not much left of the Caracas but I do not like to eat wild game anyway.

signed Alfred E. Neuman, Mad Magazine.

...With this reply I end my participation in the threat, although I have started it...
The question is initially incorrect.
Do You want a cartridge that is safe for people and dogs, but a wild boar is torn to pieces?
I doubt that this happens ...

Nearest thing
https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/9mm-solid-copper-blue-primerseal/23472

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busi.../555f0b6a30e13086b8ddea63aef2ff20bc102bee.jpg

And further. For the general development
of the topic. ;-)
https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/european-police-duty-ammo/27615/67

Hope this helps...

PS And also, they are environmentally friendly. :)

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.