Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, wow according to my CP its been over 5 years since I last logged on to Walther Forums. Guess I've been afk too long.

Anyway, figured all you Walther experts would be the ones to ask this. I have a Walther P5 I'd like to sell. And I live in California so since that model is not on the State Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale in CA, I cannot sell it directly to a CA dealer.

My options are to either sell it to a private party, sell it to an out of state dealer, or sell it online. My question is, which of those options am I most likely to get the most resale value from?

I understand the MSRP for this model is around $1500.00 which is around what I paid for it back in 2006. And I've kept it in near-mint condition and perfect operation. I'd like to be able to get at the very least 1/2 to 2/3 what I paid for it since I will be using the money to purchase a new handgun for roughly that price.

So would I be most likely to get the most return by selling to a private person who is looking for this model, selling directly to an out-of-state dealer, or selling it on Gunsamerica or GunBroker?

·
Registered
432 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trick is to find the right buyer.
Since you and the P5 are in California already I would start looking at prices and sales here first: Calguns.net

Then I would look on here for ads and sale prices:
Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns for Sale - Buy Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns Online at GunBroker.com

After you have done your research then list here with the price you need and possibly on the P38 forum also. Just my humble opinion...
Thanks, I checked the Blue Book of Gun Values at B&N and it looks like the most appropriate price for mine given the condition would be qround $900-$1000. But you're right, the trick is to find the buyer willing to pay that amount.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I use the Blue Book only as a general guide. Prices vary by region and state. Selling prices in your area are a better guide than the BB of GV's. IMHO.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
A few questions:
Is it a commercial version from Earls, an Interarms import, or a police surplus model? Do you have the box, target, manual, etc. By "near mint" do you mean unfired or have you fired it? Is there any wear on the edges or muzzle area?
My BMI P5 surplus model was a $437 gun but a commercial model in like new condition would be a different thing altogether. If your P5 is complete, matching, and beautiful I'd like to see it for sale here... :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A few questions:
Is it a commercial version from Earls, an Interarms import, or a police surplus model? Do you have the box, target, manual, etc. By "near mint" do you mean unfired or have you fired it? Is there any wear on the edges or muzzle area?
My BMI P5 surplus model was a $437 gun but a commercial model in like new condition would be a different thing altogether. If your P5 is complete, matching, and beautiful I'd like to see it for sale here... :)
I believe it is a commercial version from Earl's since they were the FFL I purchased it from directly back in 2006 (I still have the original bill of sale to verify this). I still have the box and cleaning stick but not the manual or target. "Near mint," I have fired it (about 300 rounds) but have always cleaned it meticulously after every firing and kept it in pristine condition. The only wear is on the trigger bar and on the decocker. And the wear is very faint and can only be seen under light.

I am definitely looking to sell mine, and will also include 3 magazines including a phosphate-coated magazine to protect against corrosion and rust, and a P5 black leather holster and magazine pouch.

Below are some pics.;)

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts