Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find all-German P99 9mm's (preferably without Smith and Wesson being stamped on the slide anywhere)?

I've looked at Earls Repair...$799 seems more than a little high.

I've been told all P99 9mm's are all-German, is this true?

Is there anywhere I can get an all German p99 at a Galyans price?

·
Registered
67 Posts
All the 9 mm P99s are German made, and you will find the eagle proofs on the barrel, frame and slide of each. I suspect that unless you buy one from Europe, you're stuck with S&Ws name on the slide, since they are the U. S. agent of Walther.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I think you're going to have an uphill task trying to find a new Walther 9mm P99 w/o S&W markings on the slide.  They have been produced with S&W markings since the beginning of 2002.  -It may be possible to find one that's been sitting in a gun shop for a couple of years, but I wouldn't count on it.

http://www.gunfaqs.org/P99FAQ/IV/2.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
I assume you are probably not interested, but I'll throw it out anyway...I have a LNIB 100% German P99, but it's a .40. I just posted it in the classifieds if you would like to take a look. I included five pictures in the post

MSH

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, my P99 just arived yesterday, and it's the 100% German made with eagle proofs. I ordered it from a local Gun store in Illinois. I didn't ask for a german made one, it just came that way. No mention of S&W anywhere on it. Cost me $570 + tax & shipping. Sounds like I lucked out if they are considered more valuable. The shop was: www.midwestguns.com. I placed the order online.

·
Registered
112 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Druid @ June 17 2004,10:46)]Hi, my P99 just arived yesterday, and it's the 100% German made with eagle proofs.  I ordered it from a local Gun store in Illinois.  I didn't ask for a german made one, it just came that way.  No mention of S&W anywhere on it.  Cost me $570 + tax & shipping.  Sounds like I lucked out if they are considered more valuable.  The shop was: www.midwestguns.com.  I placed the order online.
who was the importer?

·
Registered
187 Posts
The P99 9mm with German Proof Marks & with S&W on the slide is still an all German P99. S&W imports and services.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here in Canada all we get are German P99's without any S&W markings.
Check out P&D Enterprises (they have a website). They have 9's and 40's in black, green and titanium too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (allglock @ June 17 2004,9:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Druid @ June 17 2004,10:46)]Hi, my P99 just arived yesterday, and it's the 100% German made with eagle proofs.  I ordered it from a local Gun store in Illinois.  I didn't ask for a german made one, it just came that way.  No mention of S&W anywhere on it.  Cost me $570 + tax & shipping.  Sounds like I lucked out if they are considered more valuable.  The shop was: www.midwestguns.com.  I placed the order online.
who was the importer?
Sorry, I was mistaken. The importer was S&W, and yeah it has their info on the slide. Also, apparently the news about S&W buying out Wather is true, at least from what I was told at the gun shop.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Druid @ June 23 2004,1:23)]Also, apparently the news about S&W buying out Wather is true, at least from what I was told at the gun shop.
This is some sort of joke, right?  S&W's website mentions nothing regarding acquiring Walther.  

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=90977&p=irol-news

I'm not privy to S&W's internal affairs, but it seems doubtful that after the boycott, their auxilary plant closing, sale, and recent restructuring, they'd be in much of position to start buying other companies.  Whatever group bought S&W should have their hands full just getting S&W back to its pre-boycott levels of production and sales.  -Just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]apparently the news about S&W buying out Wather is true
No, S&W has not bought out Walther. Walther is owned by Umarex, Inc. which owns a lot of companies (see this link http://www.carl-walther.de/englisch/unternehmensgruppe.html )

Walther's USA Importer for Walther America products is Smith & Wesson. Interarms was the former importer of Walther Firearms for MANY years, but went bankrupt in 1998. It was at that time that Walther and Smith & Wesson made their joint agreement. From the Walther America website History page:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]In 1999, another step was taken to bring the Walther name into the new millennium. Smith & Wesson of Springfield, Massachusetts and Carl Walther GmbH of Germany announced a joint plan to form Walther USA to distribute Walther branded firearms, air guns and accessories in the United States.
Originally, the "Holding company" for Walther firearms imported into the USA was "Carl Walther, USA". Then it was renamed to "Walther, USA, LLC", and then finally to probably pacify BATF, the import markings were changed to "Smith & Wesson" since that is where the guns were actually being shipped: the Smith & Wesson "premises" in Springfield, MA.

The "Walther America" part of Smith & Wesson is simply a chain link caged area in the Smith & Wesson manufacturing facility. The area is probably no larger than 50' x 50'. I didn't measure it, I'm just going by my recollection

So, let's review: Smith & Wesson doesn't own Walther America, Walther America is the entity for Walther Germany Pistols imported into the USA by Smith & Wesson. Walther pistols are still made in Germany, Walther is owned by Umarex, Inc.

Regards,
James

1 - 14 of 14 Posts