Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is Everybody? Is the Walther that boring reliable or is everybody still arguing over the S&M v Fackler on other boards at nine pages long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah - where'd everyone go?

There's more posts on "The Firing Line" and "GlockTalk" about Walthers than there are here...

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm still here.
Just a bit more traffic over on GlockTalk and TFL.
But for the real Walther info, this is the only place.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I just did a search over on Google for 'walther forum' and this place didn't come up in the first page. I'm not quite sure how to remedy that, (I'll be looking into it) but I bet that would generate some more traffic over here.

I think part of the problem may be that only a handful of us even know this forum exists.

--Ben

·
Registered
127 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (venom600 @ Sep. 10 2002,2:34)]I just did a search over on Google for 'walther forum' and this place didn't come up in the first page.  I'm not quite sure how to remedy that, (I'll be looking into it) but I bet that would generate some more traffic over here.

I think part of the problem may be that only a handful of us even know this forum exists.

--Ben
The answer is meta tags IIRC. Those are keywords imbedded in a page that make it pop up to the top of the list. Need to look at what words the sites that come up first on a search are using and add those to the homepage of the forum.

This place is a pretty well kept secret. Only found it by clicking a link that was added to a Walther page I had bookmarked before. That's what got me started at TFL and PCT, those were the only places for Walthers when I started hanging out in forums.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think we've just about tapped it out, guys. Aside from re-hashing subject matter (which happens frequently for the benefit of P99 newbies), what's really new to talk about?! First, most of us have found that the P99 is quite reliable, which conincidentally means we have little interest in gunsmithy reliability work. Second, the semi lack of aftermarket goodies, like a Glock or 1911, contributes to a quiet board. Am I up in the night?

However, at the end of the day, I still check in over here just in case.

Are we too gung-ho on our P99?! Maybe we should branch out to other weapons?!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey, guys!

There may be many reasons why there's not more traffic here, but I agree that the reasons are probably attributable to a number of factors:

1) Walther owners represent a very miniscule segment of the market, and the P99, the latest and greatest... really has nothing wrong with it.
2) Other boards draw traffic because of other subjects, and a large, diverse membership base, meaning you can do your 'one stop shopping' for information elsewhere.
3) Lack of promotion... it's up to each of us to do our part to promote the site.

Regarding search engines, this is a highly complex issue, and it's not as simple as you might think.  Suffice to say that there's more to it than just slapping up Metatags, and please keep in mind the anti-gun policies of many engines, others also won't list you... unless, of course, you PAY for a listing.  

Search engine rankings will come with hits, and hits will come from all of us promoting the site.  Looks llike we're going to have to do it the old fashioned way... word-of-mouth.  Other boards come up, because they have TENS OF THOUSANDS of members, and HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of posts.  That's what get them noticed, and listed, by the search engines.

I guess if we don't get some more brisk activity in the next month or so, I may fold the site, since it doesn't seem to be doing anyone a service. This is, no doubt, one of the reasons why Walther and Smith, as the manufactuer and importer, don't bother investing the corporate resources to do it themselves... there's no ROI in it for them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wouldn't say the board isn't doing anyone a service! I have found a fair amount of info here and visit the board two to three times weekly. I am hoping it stays around.

docmac86

·
Registered
101 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The answer is meta tags IIRC
Google doesn't work that way.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This is, no doubt, one of the reasons why Walther and Smith, as the manufactuer and importer, don't bother investing the corporate resources to do it themselves... there's no ROI in it for them.
Have we approached either of them about linking to the board? I think there would be huge ROI in it for them if they used the darn thing. Even if they linked to it as an 'unofficial' Walther forum that may be frequented by Walther or S&W personnel from time to time.

I think folding the board is a bad idea. It's only been around for a month or so, and it's already helped a group of us come together to get the .357 sig thing rolling. I think this could carry over to other aftermarket vendors too. There are power in numbers and without a way for the 'numbers' to gather and express common interests we may continue to see a drought in the P99 accessory market. Anyone interested in trying to convice Insight to make an M3/M6 adapter for the P99 accessory rail??

--Ben

·
Registered
555 Posts
Ben, point taken, it does take some time to get a community rolling. What I was trying to illustrate is that we'll all need to do our part.

As to approaching Walther/Smith, we have discussed this at length. That has always been the intent, but we need to have something viable to approach them with. A community of under 170 members isn't enough to convince their management that it's worthwhile to have their staff time allocated to it. We need more people, and more posts.

Let's see what the next few months bring.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Been giving this some more thought and have some ideas.

The way I have found most of the forums I frequent is through word of mouth. There is a site called the Walther Handgun Owners Group That has some links on their main page and some info about Walthers. Have you tried contacting them about sharing links?

Also TFL has a links page that lists some other boards. You could contact them about having this board added to the forum section.

One last thought, and this is dependent on the policy of the particular forum, but we could put the link to this forum in our signature line so it shows up in some of our posts for people to see.

What do you folks think?

·
Registered
122 Posts
You have created a very good site, but it is not very visible yet.  I found it by by accident while reviewing the Forum site on the Walther International site.  Your site will continue to grow as more people learn about it.  I plan to spread the word.  Keep up the good work.  

1 - 12 of 12 Posts