Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing all of the posts about holsters, I am on the verge of purchasing the Blade Tech IWB holster for my P99AS. All of the discussion got me thinking about how and when we really carry guns. Even with my permit, carrying weapons at my place of employment is strictly forbidden. How "just" that policy is, is a discussion for another time. Even though I disagree with it, if it bothers me that much, then I either have to work around it or start my own company where such feeble minded ideas are not the rule. But, like most of us, I work for a living and this is one of many minor injustices that we all are faced with in the real world.

Now, since I carry in my car to work, but I can't bring it into my office, I am faced with the proposition of leaving a gun unattended in my car. With my G26, I have simply been removing the slide and taking the entire upper unit and magazine into my office with me. If someone breaks into my car, all they will find is a Glock 26 frame (and some Tom Waits CDs). Now there is a policy against knives as well, but I always have my Cold Steel Voyager clipped to the inside of my pants, so I guess I am being hypocritical to some degree. The issue is that sometimes, there are real decisions to be made about carrying. Has anyone experienced a similar problem, and how did you address it?

Caspian

·
Registered
109 Posts
Unfortunately, laws that prohibit the carrying of weapons target the innocent, not the criminals. As law abiding citizens, we are compelled to follow the law. There are some grey areas regarding conflicts of law and business policy, but we are also compelled to follow policies lest our employment be terminated. Following the rules is all that law abiding citizens can do - and join the NRA, vote for pro-gun candidates, write letters to the ditor, and let you voice be heard so you can be an agent of change.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774_1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Only places that I can think of off hand that I do not carry. When I occasionally visit the Federal/state Court Houses, Dept. of Corrections, International Airport and Public School HQs. During these times I find my Fobus paddle very useful. After that, honestly, I take my chances. Some establishments post no CCWs?.I either don?t patronize those places or work on the premise of what they don?t know won?t hurt them or me.

Thankfully I am self-employed. In my office I carry and encourage others to do so too.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Some restricted areas can cause major trouble if you get caught with a gun. Others merely get you expelled. Here in CT there aren't many places you can't carry and I haven't yet seen any of the second type where business owners tell you you can't carry. In some jurisdictions your carry license is in jeopardy if you get caught in one of those places. Luckily in CT you don't. You get asked to leave and of course you do and never spend a dime there again.

As for work, well it depends. Back when I lived in CA there was so much work I don't think I would have cared, if the issue was relevant there. "Oh darn, they caught me carrying, better find a new job tomorrow.". Now I'm in CT and work isn't as plentiful. I'd be more likely to play by the rules.

In a nutshell, I would never break the law but not always follow the rules.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As with many things, it helps to know the rules and laws that your behavior may be judged by.

My workplace has written definitions of various "weapons", and I just make sure that whatever I have on my person or in my car cannot be classified as a "weapon" as they define it. The only thing that crimps my style is a blanket prohibition on firearms and ammunition. Otherwise, I am able to arm myself with my "weapons of choice".

·
Registered
335 Posts
FWIW:

I bought my wife a Kimber "LifeAct" for those times when she can't or won't carry her Cobra, or KT P32.

She has a concealed weapons permit, but just gets antsy about carrying in some places, so the LifeAct is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but of course not nearly as valuable as a firearm would be.

The LifeAct is basically a super "pepper spray" type device, but propels the ultra hot pepper spray at (advertised) 90mph up to 13' in less than a second, and "supposedly" the bg can't dodge the spray if it's used correctly.

I'm not too big on pepper spray, but one thing I've noticed with anyone I've shown the LifeAct to.. It looks like a Taser device. It has two shots of pepper spray available for use and the discharge holes are placed on the device in such a manner as to "appear" to be Taserlike.. I'm sure it's just an accident in the way it looks, but everyone without exception assumes it's a Taser of some discription.

I've told her that if she is confronted by a bg to tell him she will taser him if he doesn't leave her alone... It might get his attention, might not.. Can't hurt, and you are still left w/2 90mph shots of pepper spray to use.

As I said I'm first and always a "have a firearm" kinda guy, but this LifeAct gives my wife "something" when she cannot be armed.

Might work for those of you who are not allowed to carry at work or have a firearm the the parking lot. You CAN wear the LifeAct on your belt and I guarantee you no one will be the wiser or have a clue what it is...

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
333 Posts
PX15......... if things do get up close and personal, I recommend carrying a stun gun if allowed by your local laws. The one I bought is no larger than the old "Pagers" and puts out a whopping 900,000 Volts. They have made them incredibly small & powerful, nowadays. Of course, if an attacker has gotten that close, things are really bad .......... but I have never seen [ even a person on heavy drugs ] able to ignore the Voltage ! I have seen some people just wipe away peper spray will no immediate effects.

Just another option........

JF.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I spend a lot of my time on campus, and there is only a small loophole that allows people to carry if they have either a badge or permission from the president. Since I am not likely to optain that permission I usually carry a pocket knife. Most of the time I don't recommend knives to people unless they have training with them. Not many people do, but for those who do have training, at times they can be better than a gun.

But the crux of what I want to say is, it is the training people need when they can not carry a gun. Guns are great, for reletively little training people are equalized. When you don't have one, you need more training to be capable with what you have. So I have opted to practice martial arts in addition to firearm training. It gives a good balance and allows for more options. So depending on what you have available to you, I think you should train to use it effectively, be it a gun, knife, hands, sprays, tazers, or a sack full of nickels. Make sure you know how to use what you have available to its full potential and there is not much you can do after that.
See, you guys got me one one of my soap boxes again. Have a good night all,
Wage out

·
Registered
335 Posts
PX15......... if things do get up close and personal, I recommend carrying a stun gun if allowed by your local laws. The one I bought is no larger than the old "Pagers" and puts out a whopping 900,000 Volts. They have made them incredibly small & powerful, nowadays. Of course, if an attacker has gotten that close, things are really bad .......... but I have never seen [ even a person on heavy drugs ] able to ignore the Voltage ! I have seen some people just wipe away peper spray will no immediate effects.

JF.
Thanks..

I hadn't given a stun gun much consideration lately, I need to check them out and see what's on the market now. The last time I was looking into them was several years ago, maybe they're smaller and more powerful now..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
335 Posts

JF.
sniper350:

I researched the stun guns like you suggested and indeed ordered one yesterday. I ordered the "Small Fry" (pager style) w/100,000 volts..

I really like the size and power and it comes with a lifetime warranty.. I found them advertised all over the place on the web and the price, (same item/packaging, etc.) ran from $34.95 to $89.95.. I bought the $34.95 (duh) off Ebay from a seller with a long history and great feedback rating..

Thanks for the suggestion.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

·
Registered
335 Posts
sniper350:

Oops, make that a million volts, not 100,000. The just released models upped the power from 900,000.:D

Sorry,

JP

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow, those are pretty cool and cheap. You do have to get uncomfortably close to use one, but its better than harsh words... :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would go for a tazer over a stungun. Tazers give you distance, they incapacitate better, you can squeeze the trigger again if they continue attacking, and you can always dry stun with them as well. There is a new company that is making a mass market tazer for the public. Seems pretty good. Check out http://www.taser.com/self_defense/index.htm
I think this would be ideal for when you can't carry.
Wage out

·
Registered
333 Posts
You have to be careful Wage............. a lot of jurisdictions consider Stun Guns that shoot projectiles just as objectionable as handguns. Also many place will require a training course with the use of the shootable kind.

The stun guns PX15 and I are talking about can just be slipped into a shirt pocket or purse ,............ and used as a suprise tactic.

PX15 I think your wife will like the stun gun just as much as the peper spray and it gives her more options. You will surpised !!! the first time you push the button............. I certainly wouldn't want to be on the receiving end :D

JF.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would go for a tazer over a stungun. Tazers give you distance, they incapacitate better, you can squeeze the trigger again if they continue attacking, and you can always dry stun with them as well. There is a new company that is making a mass market tazer for the public. Seems pretty good. Check out http://www.taser.com/self_defense/index.htm
I think this would be ideal for when you can't carry.
Wage out

Wagemage:

Thanks for the link.. I checked them out, but at $349.95 + $49.95 I'm afraid the price of the Taser would be about the same as the price of another nice firearm.. And I really believe you could cc a firearm in most places you could a taser.

Another concern, I'm not sure my bride of almost 40years (she's 63) would be able to use a taser product in a crisis.. I'm afraid she won't be able to use her Colt Cobra or Keltec P32 now, so for my situation the "Small Fry" pager is simply the best option.

This particular pager is very small, carries a million volt wallop, and costs less than $45.00. I DO think my wife could hold the small pager in her hand with sufficient strength (and presence of mind) to "jab" and hold this against an attacker long enough to dissuade him to leave her alone.

Additionally, even tho we are senior citizens, we are not senile senior citizens.. We are both into "situational awareness" to the extent that we pay attention to our surroundings, particularly when we are out of our home base (comfort zone). We live in the country in a rural area in S.E. Ga.where chances for confrontation are minimal.. (So minimal as to be basically non-existent). We have more concern for the times we are in a nearby larger urban city, or traveling.. When we ARE traveling and such I am so situational aware as to almost be paranoid.. I prefer a touch of paranoia, it keeps you sharp. :D

One advantage we have over younger folks is that most people would never consider we even might be armed.. Ninety-nine . nine % of young people assume (love that word) that old people are completely defenseless. I think it would come as somewhat of a surprise to most bg's when my Crimson Trace equipped Sig P239, or CT equipped S&W Airweight Bodyguard showed up when only my billfold was requested.... Or, in an area where we could not have these weapons, a million volt stun gun..

I NEVER want to have to shoot anyone. I know it won't be popular to most folks to hear, but I will willingly give up valuables, vehicle, etc. before I kill someone over their potential loss.. I will NOT however, if I can in any way prevent it, willingly stroll back into the "storage room" of some 7/11 "stop 'n rob" when some gangbanger tells me to , nor will I willingly allow myself, wife, loved ones, or friends be hurt badly by some thug without trying, "trying" the operative word here, to protect us ALL.

I've owned firearms since I was 12 yrs old.. That would be 52+ years. I have been cc since 1966.. That would be over 40+ years. I have never, at this point, had to brandish, much less fire, my weapon in my defense. It is my firm hope that when I'm "room temperature and toes up" I will still have maintained that record.

But if the time comes that I'm in the "wrong place at the wrong time" I want SOMETHING to protect myself and others from. Most of the time I do have a concealed firearm on my person. For those rare times when legally I cannot have a firearm concealed I prefer the stun gun to harsh words.

Don't get me wrong. If they ever market a taser that I can afford, and it is small enough to be cc easily I'll probably buy one, (or two). But I believe that most places where I might be in potential danger for deadly confrontation I can carry a firearm as easily as I could have a taser.

I think the little "Small fry" will give my wife reasonable protection from assault. If a person grabs her and tries to hurt her physically the stun gun offers her protection when she might otherwise have none.

If a bg has threatened her with a firearm, then nothing she might be carrying would be of help..

It's all a crap shoot.

Thanks again for the link tho..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts