Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When will the P99 be available in .45? Anybody try the S&W 99 in .45? What are your opinions of it?
thanks,
carloponti

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Don't hold your breath. I've been waiting also. I would suspect that Walther will release a P99 in .45 GAP before they would in .45 ACP.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would expect a P99 in .45GAP before .45acp as well. There is already the SW99 in .45acp and I doubt Walther would go to all the retooling trouble to offer theirs in .45acp.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As good as the P99 is, it hasn't made a huge impact in the American market. Since Walther signed with S&W to produce the SW99, to include the .45ACP, I don't foresee it happening. They would be competing against their U.S. importer, but then again, they already are with the P99.

Walther's primary market is Europe and there is no real call for a 11.25mm pistol in that market. I wish they would do a .357SIG, but that's another thread.

·
Registered
88 Posts
yhea i miss having a heavier hitting round in the p99. THe only thing is that .45GAP rounds are gonna be fairily expensive since only the glock 36 is cambered in it.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
JDog,

Actually the Springfield Armory pistol is being chambered in 45 GAP and I think there is one other.

·
Registered
13 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JDog @ Oct. 17 2004,6:43)]yhea i miss having a heavier hitting round in the p99. THe only thing is that .45GAP rounds are gonna be fairily expensive since only the glock 36 is cambered in it.
Actually, just to clarify.............it's the G37. Also, GLOCK is making the G38 in .45GAP which is a compact version. Springfield now has the XD chambered in .45GAP, and CZ is releasing the RAMI in .45GAP for the 2005 Shot Show.
Rumored Makers:
-HK for their USP
-Sig for their 226
............and maybe Walther. I'm still hearing more and more whispering about a P99 in .45GAP.

If you guys are interested in learning about the .45GAP, Pete has dedicated a very detail website to it:

www.45gap.com

I started reloading the GAP and I must say it is one sweet cartridge. Want more power? I've loaded mine up to 1000fps for a 230gr bullet without any unusual swelling of the brass, and up to 1100fps for a 230gr bullet with only minor swelling. The regular brass is SAMMI to handle 23,000psi, but the Gun Zone has tested it up to 35,000psi without any case failure..........that is one tough cartridge with lots of room for reloading error.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Gentlemen,
I have a SW99 45 which is a fine piece as you would expect.
The only issue I have with it is that my hands are too small to handle it properly.
Thus I intend to trade it for a Walther P99compact as soon as I can find one to trade for in Georgia.
If anyone sees a new Walther P99c in 9mm in Georgia please let me know

·
Registered
39 Posts
As much as I would love to have one, I really doubt the P99 will come out in 45acp.  

While I'm dreaming, I would really like to see Walther come out with a 5 inch barreled version of the P99. 

I sent an e-mail to Walther (Germany) a few months ago asking about this.

I have pasted a copy of their response, as well as my original form submission... I especially liked how Walther includes a hyperlink to Lunde's P99 FAQ!

To: <(deleted)@comcast.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 1:13 AM
Subject: Re: English feedback from the Internet!

There are no plans for a P99 in caliber 45ACP. Please note that the SW99 is not a "clone". The technology of the SW99 is based on the P99 and is produced under Walther license in cooperation with Smith & Wesson. The frame of the SW99 is made by Walther in Germany and the barrel and slide is made by S&W in the USA.

You will find detailed information and answers on the website: www.praxagora.com/Lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/
There is also a link "FAQ - unofficial P99 Homepage" on our website www.carl-walther.de

Best regards,
Carl Walther GmbH

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: English feedback from the Internet! (20-Mai-2004 22:33)
To:      [email protected]

> Below is the result of your feedback form.  It was submitted by
>  ([email protected]) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 at 22:33:50
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Informationsbereich: P 99
>
> Art_Informationsbedarf: Information
>
> Bemerkungen: I own a Walther P99, chambered for 9mm, and I greatly enjoy
> this handgun.
>
> It has operated flawlessly for the 3 years I have owned it.  I was really
> impressed by the innovations introduced with this handgun, and I have yet
> to find another handgun with such thoughtful features.
>
> I was wondering if there were any plans to manufacture a P99 in 45ACP.
>
> I have seen the 45ACP version offered by Smith & Wesson, but do not like it.
> .. the elegance of the original P99 has been lost somehow.
>
> Many people I have spoken with in my local community, as well as in various
> internet forums, are interested in a P99 chambered in 45ACP.
>
> While Smith & Wesson are well respected for their revolvers, I'm not sure
> the same can be said for their semiautomatics.  
>
> Many of the handguns they offer, seem to be clones of other well known
> manufacturers... many of their handguns look like SIG's, HK's, and now the
> P99.
>
> Possibly a limited edition P99 in 45ACP?
>
> I don't really have an interest in purchasing a clone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts