Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When will I be able to go to a gun store and hold 1 in my hand. Not the first production model, but the regular gun? Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
I do not know / have no inside info, hoping it is soon, so there are a bunch out there and the holster manufacturers start producing.

Would say though that initially I was planning on waiting to get the all black model as that was my preference, was put off a bit by the First Edition frame color. However, after looking at an actual pistol rather than photos and checking it out at the gun shop, decided that I actually like the graphite color frame better than all black, and except for my Stainless P90 which has a great deal of sentimental value, all of my other pistols that have seen daily use have been all black. I think the photos of the graphite frame color First Edition PPS, at least the ones I saw, just do not represent the looks of the frame quite like it appears. If you want a PPS, might be worth it to go take a look at one of the First Editions if you can track one down. Definitely worth a look see, even if you decide to stick with / wait for the all black.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Considering that the First Edition ones retail for $43 more than standard ones, $665 versus $622, and include an extra magazine and very nice case, if 9mm is your thing, I'd say snag a First Edition.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I prefer the regular black version, without the "First Edition" on the slide.

As soon as Kalifornia approves the PPS I will order one from Earl - without the ugly S&W Import mark. For me the extra money will be well worth spending to have a Walther that looks like a ....Walther!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not certain, but I think the import marking may be pursuant to some legal requirement, pistols from Earl's that I have seen did in fact have his stamping in it and did not look any better in my opinion. You might want to get a photo of what his stamping on the PPS will look like before you send him any money.

Also, interestingly, I called Earls a few weeks ago looking for a PPS and he adamantly insisted that he has been dealing with Walther many years and knows that absolutely no PPS pistols at all would be avaialable here in US for several months, next day I found one at a local gun shop that said his distributor offered him that one First Edition PPS, so have to wonder really what Earl's standing is with Walther if small local shops can get the First Edition PPS but evidently his 'sources' within Walther had not provided him any yet. His shop appears to be a very small operation, think if the stamping is a requirement and someone has to put the pistol on a workbench and stamp something into it or in some manner engrave something in it, think I would prefer the confidence of the craftsmen and machinery at S&W in Springfield to some small shop. Living here in New England, have had an opportunity to go to both places, S&W Factory (large operation, they even have an open to the public range at the on-site fcatory retail store where you can try out most of their line of pistols) and Earl's shop which is in the back of what appears to be some sort of garage, my personal preference / thoughts are that S&W inspires a higher level of confidence, just my opinion, would be interested in hearing others.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Earls standing with Walther is just fine......
The info he got might have been due to some office person not being up to date. (Lets see if you can get a 20 round mag from S&W or they know about them)
At the time I was in Germany the first 250 PPS's were just exported to the US, which I was told by an employee.... also at the same time they did not work on the US run but on the European run of the PPS (pic, note the serial# and also how many unfinished frames there were on the 19th on July), which might indicate why Earl was saying no PPS will be available for some time since they were working on the Europen PPS not the US version. (I am not sure about this but it looks to me that they are doing a run at the time for each market)
I would trust Earl with any of my Walthers. No I have not been to his shop but the people at Walther think of him highly and he is the one that still can import the P5 that so many say is out of production, which is not true.
I know Earl often can come across a bit bitter in regards to S&W but I don't blame him at all. And if you would see the Walther factory you would know that it is rather a small shop too for as many guns they put out.
Also Earl will be able to get you parts for your Walther's S&W has never even heard about.... but that is just my biased opinion since I like small scale businesses *edit... my first edition is on order with a local shop and not with Earls just to show I am not all that biased :)

Now for the ones waiting for a black one.... be advised that these will not come with a test target anymore......at least that is what I was told.
Also I am sure down the road you could always buy a black frame and change them out if you desire to do so, since the PPS is somewhat built like the P22 where the "frame" is just the housing to the actual reciever (again see the pics and how the serial is not on the frame)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I doubt Earl needs any defense, but I want to say that I have dealt with him on a couple of ocassions, and found him helpful and personable.

Are his prices a bit high - maybe, but he deals in the real thing and is a small business - not at all like S&W. After all, when was the last time you called Smith & Wesson and spoke with an owner? I like to support the "little guy", especially so since he is able to offer items no one else can.

I love Walther pistols, but have always bemoaned that they end up in the USA with non original stampings - which I think ruin the look of the pistol. I don't have anything against Smith & Wesson and some of my best handguns are Smith & Wesson's, but I don't appreciate them using the slide of my pistols as a bill board.

I have one of Earl's P99's, and the import stamping on the barrel hood is very discreet and barely noticable - but also complies with the law. I know Earl cares about the Walthers and will make every effort to make the same kind of markings on the PPS. It is enough of an issue with me that I will gladly pay extra for.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Thanks Uncut for the factory photos!!!

Are you going to do a report on your visit?

Since I have to wait for Kalifornia to approve the PPS, I can wait for the black frame too. The lack of a test target doesn't bother me - if the gun doesn't shoot around corners!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice photo of the Walther building, thanks. Would you happen to have any other photos of their facility ?

Re Earl, all I can say is that I have been reading about S&W, used to be involved in competitive shooting and have seen their sponsorships, over the last 40 years or so have been shooting S&W as well as other brands, have been to S&W numerous times and have only received help from them and never even once heard any of the professional staff at S&W ever bad mouth any other company or store or person in the industry. On the other hand, within the first 30 seconds of being in Earl's place he felt the need to start bad mouthing S&W, somehow that just seems not necessary and a bit unprofessional to me for a proprietor to immediately go to saying bad things about another company or their products; seems to me the ethical and professional way to promote your business is to promote it on your own merits / good points, not by saying how bad the other company is.
In reading your posting, will acknowledge maybe I just have not seen enough of the good side of Earl, just difficult to get beyond hearing all that anti-S&W venom spewed out of him, seems unnecessary, even if true, and I do not know that it is, seems unnecessary to present it too customers, would seem the place for that is among friends not in the store to customers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK...who is earl?:confused: I juess I will just keep tabs on here and when they start hitting the stores this is the first place I will hear it from. I am saving my money. My P99 Compact needs a little brother:D

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
http://www.carlwalther.com/page2.htm

Earl's is a authorized dealer and repair center here in the US..... to the best of my knowledge there is one other company that is a authorized dealer for Walther sporting arms besides Earl's, but the name slipped my mind

·
Registered
25 Posts
Now for the ones waiting for a black one.... be advised that these will not come with a test target anymore......at least that is what I was told.
Also I am sure down the road you could always buy a black frame and change them out if you desire to do so, since the PPS is somewhat built like the P22 where the "frame" is just the housing to the actual reciever (again see the pics and how the serial is not on the frame)
That is not entirely true. If you remove the backstrap you will see that the serial number has been hidden.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Jeff you might be right.
I don't have mine yet and did not take appart the one I was shooting.... but I was told that the housings can be changed .....
the main serial is on the housing though and just like with the P22

·
Registered
525 Posts
Are his prices a bit high - maybe, but he deals in the real thing and is a small business - not at all like S&W. After all, when was the last time you called Smith & Wesson and spoke with an owner?
Are you saying s&w doesn't deal in the real thing? This is something that some have posted here that early has said before but no one has ever been able to back it up with what it means. As far as customer service goes, I don't feel like I need to speak to an owner or even a manager at s&w, every time I've called they've treated me like I was their most important customer.

Honestly I'd probably buy from earl if I felt like his prices were just a bit more competitive, the mudslinging at s&w aside. I've always kind of wondered if he's missing the boat on volume sales with lower prices.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You know I have heard that implication before from him, that S&W products are some how inferior to his. However, until he or anyone else, produces some proof of that, such as an independent testing lab report, not just his assertion, do not think I believe it. Have had too many S&W that have served me very well, from a Model 36 , Model 10, Model 15, to the small frame and very convenient for carry 3914 that I qualified with every year for 7 years and put tens of thousands of rounds through, to a 3913TSW carried daily and likewise many rounds through, a Performance Center 45ACP Recon which was an incredible pistol, and most recently a CS-9, also, a large amount of rounds through including many Corbon +P as I rotate new ammo into mags every couple of weeks and use up the old for practice, and while noticeable holster wear, still looks fine internally. I have had just too many good experiences with S&W to believe anyone's claim that they in general are not good.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I meant that Earl sells geniune Walther parts - that's all. I haven't bought parts from S&W for Walther's, but understand from alot of posts they don't carry a big backstock.

I have had alot of S&W's - fine firearms! Even today with those horrible internal political locks their revolvers are second to none.

I enjoy listening to other peoples opinions. Often I learn things from other people I disagree with. That is what makes these forums so fun. I enjoy talking to Earl, and hope to do so again.

Maybe you don't have to talk to an owner when you call S&W - many of the service people are very helpful. My only point was it is nice sometimes to talk to the guy who actually runs the show.

I guess I was trying to say that the way Walthers are import marked means alot to me. Earl is considerate about that, and I appreciate it.

For years Ruger stamped a phone book of legalise on the barrel of their revolvers. I never bought one, Ruger sold thousands upon thousands anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Uncut,
To be clear, I am not trying to say that you can't switch frames just that they have hidden the serial number on the frame as well. I found the first edition last night and had to get one. Now the tough part is that it has to stay hidden for several weeks because it is a birthday present to my wife so field stripping the gun was the most I get to do for quite some time. After she gets the gun, I will make sure to get her to come on this board and post a range report and other such things.

To anyone considering the first edition and holding back cause of the frame, I will say that I like the looks of the frame much better in person than I do in any of the pictures. I always felt that the frame looked rough and unfinished in pictures, but in person it felt very nice in the hand and looks very nicely finished. The coloration in interesting, but very definitely only coloration when viewed in real life.

Jeff

1 - 20 of 86 Posts