Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm curious how people learned of the P5.

As a youth, my first real pistol was a Walther P-38. I'd seen them in pictures of WWII and they resonated with me somehow.

Years ago I was traveling internationally and needed a book to read. I was in the Munich airport so went to a book kiosk and found a German language crime novel. As I read German the book seemed potentially entertaining. The cover of the book had a pistol on the cover that I'd not seen before. I had to know what it was and eventually found that it was a Walther P5. Ironically I visited a gunshow in Orlando Florida a few months later and a man had two P5's for sale. One standard, the other a compact. I bought the standard model as it was aesthetically more pleasing to me. I still have it!

When did you see your first P5? What interested you in them?

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
I'm almost sure that I first saw the P5 in the two 1983 Bond movies. But at that time I had no idea what a P5 really is – neither did Bond. At least in the official movie of that year, the P5 was still called a PPK. They forgot to change the script.

Today, I own a P5c. To me it was always more pleasing than the standard model. Tastes are really different.

·
Registered
225 Posts
When it first came out, it made pretty big splash with all the popular gun magazines at the time. I was impressed but the price even then was close to $1000 which put it way out of my reach. When I decided to get a 9mm over a decade ago ago, I was unimpressed by most of the new offerings and decided to get a P5 just to satisfy that itch I couldn't afford to scratch 20+ years earlier.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I only bought the P5 Compact because it vaguely resembles the PPK but in 9mm form. The Bond series really got me into Walther in general.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
When and where? Right here on the WF in 2012, and I bought a commercial NOS pistol soon thereafter. In retrospect, I probably saw Bond use one, but I was too distracted by the maroon circus blouse that Roger Moore was wearing at the time.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
The P5 wasn’t in any S.C. Bond movies, was it?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yep, Never Say Never Again and Octopussy introduced me to the P5....but not till 2018 did I even consider buying one! It is a unique gun for sure, and very happy I tracked one down!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts