Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! New member with an I.D. issue on a PP. I'll add pics when I figure out how to do that, but for now the info:
Slide is polished and blued with the banner, Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do.
Modell PP Cal. 7,62 mm
Has eagle over N proof Mark just forward of cocking serrations on left side.
Left side of slide just above bottom edge, and forward of ejection port is an import marking: C.D.I. Swanton, VT. No marks under slide or anywhere else on slide.
Now everyone is asking, "What's the issue?" So, let's talk about the frame. Typical satin blued steel with serial number (95142 without a letter suffix) in usual location, with a mark oriented vertical to the weapon, just behind the trigger guard pivot, that is a Crest with a crown or 5 flat topped points hovered above it. In the Crest is a design that is difficult to describe. I have searched every proof, makers, and acceptance mark reference I can find, but cannot identify that mark. It is also on the side of the barrel, visible through the ejection port.
There is no Ulm proof house Mark or antler symbol, and no date numbers or letter code on the barrel. No other marks anywhere else on the frame, but there is a lanyard ring attachment post on the butt behind the mag well with ring removed. Pictures will tell a better story, and I'll load those as soon as I get them and determine how, so anyone have an idea on "Vat it is?"

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'll be bold here. It's a Walther PP caliber 7,65mmB. But that's just a teaser.

I like watching pistol pics. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very wise jehzsa, I can tell I'll fit in well here! Pics just got up, so take a peek, and keep that sage wisdom coming!

·
Registered
32 Posts
If it looks like the attached, it is the Mulhouse (millhouse) proof mark:
At one time an annex to the French St Etienne Proof House located in the same town as the Manurhin factory,,

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's it, Metradio, thank you very much! I couldn't find that anywhere, I even paid special attention to French marks. So, I suppose it would be a post-war commercial model, but not necessarily considered a "Manurhin"? Any common (or uncommon) knowledge about year range of such marked pistols, and does any of this add or detract from value? Or is it as jehzsa so craftily observed, "It's a Walther PP caliber 7,65mmB."?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Going by the serial number it dates from about 1960, at that time all Walther PP's and PPK's were made by Manhurin then shipped to Walter in Germany for finishing and proofing.. Manhurin made and marked pistols are French proofed..
Strange to see a French proofed Walther..

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
I'd say it's a gun that consists of two or more guns. The frame belongs to a Manurhin marked PP whereas the grip plates and the slide belong to a Walter/Ulm marked PP.

Oldgunzrbest, if you post a pic of the left side of the slide we can determine at least if the slide is period correct to the frame which was manufactured around 1960/61.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's it, Metradio, thank you very much! I couldn't find that anywhere

I had seen mention and description of the Mulhouse proof mark but never found a graphic of one, so I knocked up the drawing from a Mulhouse proofed Manhurin PP I own..

·
Registered
735 Posts
A lot more knowledgeable people have and will chime in. Just allow me to say the following.

Something has to be said about a pistol (PP and PPK) that extracted a blood tribute, MY BLOOD, every single time that I fired it.

And I still love the darn things. No other platform has ever extracted that tribute. Enjoy the little darling. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep the info rolling, boys! Here's the left slide. Thanks again to all! It was hard to tell which had the best light, so I sent 'em all!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Strange to see a French proofed Walther..

I was under the same impression, Metradio, that un-heat treated parts were sent back to Ulm for stamping, heat treating and proofing, the proof house being considered the country of manufacture.
Were slides and frames commonly mis-matched during some transitional period perhaps?

Can someone enlighten me about how to add the shaded box with a quote such as: "Metradio said..."

·
Premium Member
1,736 Posts
The rollmarks on the slide are period correct so far. The slide should have the old style rear sight, no serial number on the right side, and the left grip plate shouldn't have the "Made in Germany" marking. Then it is still a compiled gun but at least the parts are from the same time frame.

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Yup...looks like a "Frankengun". The frame and slide are most likely mismatched. This would not have been at the factory rather later in the lives of the weapons.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I don't think so. I'd say that the mismatch occured much later.
Indeed.

Taking together the frame‘s vintage and the importer stamp, this is almost certainly a former police pistol or at least put together from such pistols.

So unless the importer did it, for a likely suspect for the re-assembly you‘d be looking for an agency which received both Manurhin- and Walther-finished versions of the PP, and whose armorers did their own refurbishments. The apparent absence of markings makes any positive determination impossible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That didn't work. How do I "pick up" the quote. Maybe be on regular computer, then I'd see the "Quote" button in the original post?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Beginner question:
At what point did Walther start marking the serial number on the slide in addition to the frame?

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
"It's simple. You have to reply with a quote:"
Did I get it right?

In the lower right-hand corner of the post to which you wish to reply will be a button labeled 'Quote'. Select that button and a reply box will populate with the text 'quoted' from the post that was selected. Place your cursor at the end of the quoted material, press the enter key to drop down a line, and type in your reply. When you post your reply, the blue box with the originally quoted text will appear in your post.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts