Walther Forums banner
21 - 40 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My side of the bed I have my S&W M&P 9mm loaded with Hornady steel match hollow points, full 17 rounds in the mag. My wife has a Walther PK380 on her side loaded with Hornady 90gr XTP, again full mag. Downstairs near the front door I have a Hatsan 12ga loaded with 2 shells of Winchester PDX defender followed by 4 shells of 00 buck. I also have various other firearms scattered around the house that are easy access. I'm not privileged to live in a too quiet area, I live less than a mile from the city limits of the state capitol.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
AR not a bad idea. But my Mossberg starts with buck shot followed by slugs. Best of both worlds.
This is my loadout, as well. i.e. Mossberg 590A (7+1) with alternating buckshot and slugs (commencing with buckshot) ... stored in a wall-mounted Shotlock device.

I also have a quicksafe on the nightstand (bolted to it, with the nightstand also bolted down) that contains my EDC (PPS 9mm) when not on my hip, as well as my BUG (LPC .380) when not in my back pocket.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Whatever you use, make sure you have a tac light. Night sights are worthless in home defense because unless you can identify the target, you don’t want to shoot anyway. Night sights allow you to aim at a shadow and hit it but they don’t tell you what the shadow is. You don’t want to find yourself in my situation where my drunk ass stupid neighbor woman came in my house.

While we can argue about the law in this case, you still don’t want to be the guy to shoot a drunk person who had no intention to do harm and be on CNN for weeks and then be sued.

My bedside gun is a 90 lb lab and a 110 lb labradoodle who won’t be happy 🙂

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
As to the actual gun and ammo choice make sure you know and understand who else in the house. Where are their bedrooms and will the round penetrate the wall and hit them...or leave the house and enter another domain.

Use frangible ammo. Consider a 410. Their really isn’t a perfect choice.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
As to the actual gun and ammo choice make sure you know and understand who else in the house. Where are their bedrooms and will the round penetrate the wall and hit them...or leave the house and enter another domain......

Hopefully EVERY person with a firearm is aware of these details.

I would bet I'm not the only gun owner who actually house shops with high ground overlooking open 1st floor area, long hallway leading to master bedroom, "non-pinched" corners to "slice the pie", and "choke points" in mind. I've gotten some odd looks from real estate agents over the years. If they choose to make believe home burglary/invasion never happens, and when they do, consider local PD response as sufficient, that's THEIR loved ones they choose to put at risk.

Other bedrooms, round penetration and surrounding domiciles are homeowner 101.

I even have a large guard dog that sleeps on the stairway landing, and a serious aluminium gate lag bolted at the top of the stairs. Anyone entering my home has the cards stacked against them, HARD!!!!! An unfair advantage, just how I like it.

·
Super Moderator
7,715 Posts
After many years of my daughter and her young friends having the range of the house, my nightstand gun lives in a lockbox.
She is 30 now and no longer an issue in that regard, and she was as gun-proofed as a kid can be. Her friends maybe not so much, so the pistol stayed in its lockbox.
Frankly, I'm not sure I want a gun in my hand when I'm half awake. If I'm too befuddled to open the box, I shouldn't have a gun.

The gun in question is a G19.4 full of Gold Dots, plus a flashlight.
I've got more serious ordnance locked up in the safe, including a SBR 9mm AR, that would come out if there were widespread civic upheaval.
BTW, clearing a house is dicey work for a SWAT team, and a bad idea for a homeowner.
If you're sure you have an undocumented visitor, get you and yours in a tight corner and summon the police.
At least we live in a state, unlike damnfool New Jersey, where you don't have to flee your own home if invaded.

Moon

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Moon, not an option here. Where we live, if we had to wait on the police the intruders would be at a bar drinking beer by then. Also things can happen really fast like answering the door and there they are ready to burst in.

Jim D

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Having lived around 30 blocks north of Central Ave in St Petersburg in the mid-'90s, and being there during the riots that burned down a significant portion of South St Petersburg, I choose to know I've set myself up to handle a home invasion as best as reasonable preparation can allow.

More Americans need to be in a situation/position where ALL police are deployed to a staging area (Tropicana Field in the St Pete riots), and the forces are used to quell uprisings/contain rioters. There were home invasions north of these riots, and Police/SWAT/LEOs were NOT responding to ADT and other alarm calls.

Reality can be a harsh mistress!

Also had the experience of being front and center for the Baltimore MD riots. Working as a contract ME for an Aerospace Manufacturer. Police were given a "stand down" order, so the rioters could "blow off steam" (THEIR WORDS. SAD!!!!).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Full size 4.5" mr9 15+1 &ex15mag on nightstand, EDC sw99c 10+1 &ex10mag within reach everywhere I am (always), 4" mr9 15+1 in sunroom next to my spot, all have fed150HST all in da mode. Star BM 8+1 &2ex8mag win124FMJ also on nightstand. Snubby 2.5 .38 special winT&D130JHP in a clock by the front door. Also keep a tennis racket bag next to the bed with 16"Wylde aero rifle 90rds55/62FMJ & 9" 300blk aero pistol 40rds190SUB-X. 12ga Ithaca m37 slamfire under the bed in a case with .22, next to a briefcase full of ammo...

As for the kids, I always preach,
"Curiosity killed the cat, so don't kill my cat!"
I have sat them down individually and as a group, multiple times to have this discussion, and encourage them when they want to "see" my guns. 2 rules, "If I'm not here don't touch it, you can see it as much as you want when I get home," and "first things first, is it loaded?" Of course I always disarm for them, but always hand them closed breach weapons and their first responsibly is to drop mag and check breach then they can point and dry fire until their little hearts are content. They know if they ask, I WILL say yes and this curbs temptation to "sneak" and eliminates curiosity because...
"Curiosity killed the cat, so don't kill my cat!"
I also make them aware every time they walk in the room there is a loaded firearm right there and point it out.

·
Super Moderator
7,715 Posts
dj, concur, and my daughter was raised that way. She (and her friends) got to the house when my wife and I were still at work. I taught for 35 years, and I'll tell you...kids don't always do what you tell them. :eek: Hence the lockbox.
My daughter hunted and took a deer with me. She currently has a Smith revo (in a lock box); husband, no kids yet, but out of reach of anyone unauthorized.
Fully understand about different circumstances (civil unrest), and then the big stuff would come out. Seem to recall a neighborhood in B'more where the shopkeepers were very visibly armed, and, oddly, no one broke in during the riots.

Usually take an AR down to camp. The nearest cop there is in another time zone.
Moon

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Oh, and an old-school SIG P6/P225 in the car for good measure. I seldom carry, FWIIW

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
As to the actual gun and ammo choice make sure you know and understand who else in the house. Where are their bedrooms and will the round penetrate the wall and hit them...or leave the house and enter another domain......

Hopefully EVERY person with a firearm is aware of these details.

I would bet I'm not the only gun owner who actually house shops with high ground overlooking open 1st floor area, long hallway leading to master bedroom, "non-pinched" corners to "slice the pie", and "choke points" in mind. I've gotten some odd looks from real estate agents over the years. If they choose to make believe home burglary/invasion never happens, and when they do, consider local PD response as sufficient, that's THEIR loved ones they choose to put at risk.

Other bedrooms, round penetration and surrounding domiciles are homeowner 101.

I even have a large guard dog that sleeps on the stairway landing, and a serious aluminium gate lag bolted at the top of the stairs. Anyone entering my home has the cards stacked against them, HARD!!!!! An unfair advantage, just how I like it.
As a firearms instructor, I would honestly say the answer is very much “no”. People do not know these things.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Had a guy attend a renewal class two weeks ago. Nice man. A current permit holder. Had not ever fired the gun he brought with him and hadn’t fired a gun since five years ago when he applied for his permit the first time. Left handed but didn’t even know he was right hand dominant.

I spent an extra 90 mins with him.

And just think, you don’t need a permit, a liscense, a background check or any understanding of any laws whatsoever to have a gun at home for personal defense. So yes, I do think “Joe Public” is clueless doesn’t consider a lot of things.

People may own a firearm (which I support) but when I ask them questions about basic legal matters in class such as “you are awakened by a noise on the front stoop. You see a shadowy figure outside. You grab your gun. Can you shoot through the window?” Half the class thinks you can with no consequences.

21 - 40 of 233 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.