Walther Forums banner
1 - 19 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious what different people's bedside gun choice is and possibly the ammo you load for it. I'm very aware that some do not have a bedside weapon due to children and I can certainly appreciate that. However my wife and I are retired and live alone so I do have them. If grandchildren or visitors come over we deadlock our bedroom door.

On one bedside table is my Walther PPQ 45 loaded with 185gr. Gold Dot's and the other bedside table has a HK USP Compact 357 Sig loaded with 125gr. Winchester Ranger T-series ammo. I keep several loaded magazines in the draw as well. Not very far away is my Remington 870 9 shot tactical loaded with #2 steel shot & #4 buckshot.

I'm just always curious what people trust their lives to in case of a home invasion or something similar. It happened to a very good friend of mine. He went to the door unarmed and 4 thugs broke in and they beat him so bad that for a few days it was a 50/50 chance that he would live. It does happen more often than you here about. Have a good week.

Jim D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A lot of variation, that's good, people should use what they like and shoot well.

I'm a big fan of the shotgun and have done a lot of testing and #2 steel at close/medium range and it is awesome, 4 of those backed up by 5 #4 copper plated buck shot. In our home you have to go down a fairly long hall to get to our bedroom. I told my wife that if I'm not home and she hears someone breaking in a door from the outside, forget the pistol a grab the 870. I also have her answering the door now with a firearm on her. If someone gets offended by that don't come over anymore.

I'm also really surprised that no one even mentioned an AR. I keep a light weight 16" AR with an Aimpoint red dot on all the time right next to the 870 in case trouble spills out to the yard or there's trouble outside. I may never grab it but it's there in case. Stay safe and have a good weekend.

Jim D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Moon, not an option here. Where we live, if we had to wait on the police the intruders would be at a bar drinking beer by then. Also things can happen really fast like answering the door and there they are ready to burst in.

Jim D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
WaterDR, what state are you in? You are so correct about the laws of when, where, and in what circumstance that you can use deadly force. I know in my state night and day personal defense is a huge difference. And laws change from time to time and lots of people don't bother to read about the laws. One of my best friends was one of the first concealed carry instructors in Texas so I've learned a lot from him and have taken two courses to keep up. Great writing!
Jim D
.........................................................................................................
Deut, your post about the rioting in Florida is very interesting, can't be enough law enforcement to cover everything. Living 10 minutes from the coast and with hurricanes, floods, and natural disaster, I sometimes worry about rioting and looting like in Louisiana during Katrina. Not just 2 or 3 but gangs or groups when law just can't be there to help. That's the reason for my AR/Aimpoint and plenty of double magazines clipped together. Lots of people know I have lots of weapons and they might get me but not before I burn some powder myself. I don't know the law about self defense during a riot but I would have to use my head and protect my family and property as best as possible.

Jim D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Deut,
Sadly yes that happened and how more stupid can you get! They had plenty of other things they should have been doing to get prepared. They or the UN might get mine someday but they will never find 1 AR, a red dot, 8 magazines, and 1000 rounds on stripper clips that I have stored. If the time ever came I'd just do what I have to do and be dam the consequences.
Jim D
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

WaterDR,
That's scary about WI. Basically $40.00 and that's that. Unreal.
Jim D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Good job guys of choosing nice firearms to defend your property, home, and family. All I can say is practice with them all you can and may you never have to use them for the purpose of defense. Have a great safe weekend and good shooting.

Jim D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
WaterDR,
Please clarify your statement in post #50. I think I know what your saying but you said two things, deadly force to protect property but not in home to protect property. Some may be confused. Thanks,

Jim D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
Deut, you're 100% correct in my book!!! Many people have never been through a natural disaster so they just don't know. At 66 and living on the coast all my life, I've seen plenty, hurricanes, floods, and tornadoes. Lots of people just go crazy after a disaster or the thugs just see easy pickings. Either can be very dangerous and you and your home are subject to be ravaged. I could tell you story's that are truly scary when there is a shortage of food, no drinkable water except what's brought in, no electricity for maybe weeks, and especially no fuel to be had. No stores open, no ice to keep food, no nothing except what you have on hand.

I've never had LEO or military try to enter my home and I hope I don't unless it's for rescue.

Jim D
Coastal SE Texas

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I just wish one of you would explain why you think Texas is "goofy". Certainly it can't be the people. Normal people, not thugs or hoodlums, are about the friendliest people in any state, even to strangers. Explain please.

Jim D
Coastal SE Texas

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
My 1st firearms carry course was 10 hours long conducted by a retired sheriff instructor. The actual shooting course was the next day. There were only 8 people in our class and it could have been done in one day but in the 10 hour class, we asked lots of questions and the instructor went over a lot of real time scenarios. It was great and we all learned a lot.

The next day was the actual timed shooting. After that we sat around a couple hours discussing firearms and loads for self defense and home defense. It was great and I took a refresher course 3 years later.

Not many do this and many states require nothing like this. This course was the reason for choosing the bedside guns I chose.

Jim D
SE Texas

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 · (Edited)
Deut, that's my reason for saying Texas is not "goofy". You couldn't pay me to live in one of those states like you mentioned, it's insane not to be able to protect your family & home.

About ranchers and farmers living in remote areas as in a previous post, most people don't have any idea how big areas in south and west Texas are and how small police forces are. In some cases it's hours before someone could get to you and maybe the next day.

Our ranch we hunt on is 1 1/2 miles from the border of Mexico and encountering illegals is common. Years ago almost none were armed and all they wanted was food or water. Now things have changed and a lot are armed and they will rob you or even worse. The closest LEO for help is 105 miles. We stay armed all the time and I even sleep with my handgun in a holster in bed. Now I ask some of these people, would you still wait on LEO?

Jim D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
I've got an ammo question for you that have a .45 as your bedside firearm. Do you prefer 185 gr.HP's for speed, 230 HP's for weight, hard ball for heavy clothing penetration, or a combination? I'm not choosing for best accuracy for I would assume the range would be close.

I'm just curious as to what people think & prefer. Thanks,

BTW, that retired sheriff that taught my 1st course advised to use whatever we handled and shot well and a weapon we were very familiar with. He also advised us to use 9mm and up. He was concerned himself with possibly having to shoot through car barriers and he carried a Sig P220 .45 loaded with 230 Gold Dot's and 230 hard ball staggered in his magazines. I myself have my PPQ and spare magazines currently loaded with LE 185 gr. Gold Dot's.

Jim D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Man you guys are great answering the thread like you did and having very intelligent conversations without cutting someone down or arguments. That's what this forum is about.
.......................................................................................
I was shocked to here about the laws in WA State. I've never heard anything like that before. At my age and condition having to use a walker I think, I'd have to study on it, that I'd be like member 381465 in post #120 and just risk it. That's something! I can't even imagine having that law in Texas. I'm afraid there would be lots & lots of felon's.
.......................................................................................
Well after reading your excellent comments about the .45, I'll change to Federal LE 230 gr. HST's. I can understand your reasoning but I'd still hate to be shot with a 185. I have plenty of the +P230 HST's but they have more recoil than the 185's, the reason for loading 185's, but I would hope that I wouldn't need to fire many.
...................................................................................
Thanks again guys & girls,

Jim D
SE Texas

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I'd like to here more about that law in Washington State. From the holster question you asked, I assume it's OK if your wearing it but you can't put it down on your bedside table?

Do you know if this has been enforced to anyone? How do they know without a search warrant, if someone tells the authorities? I just can't understand how they will enforce it unless someone gets injured and they discover your gun wasn't in the safe.

Thank you for clarifying my questions. I've thought a lot about it and I'm pretty sure what I would do. Thank you,

Jim D
SE Texas

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Lana,
Thank you very much for your reply. I understand what your saying and I appreciate that. But if they case your home for what they think they can get instead of at random, they will try to gain entry.
That friend of mine that I talked about in the beginning of the thread is pretty wealthy. He has 5 surveillance cameras outside and a $15,000.00 alarm system in his home and they still burst in. I have it all on video from Houston news.
So I know what your saying and it will help the average home owner, but if they want in, they will find a way. Thank you,

Jim D
SE Texas

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Dogs are a great deterrent. I feel that they prevent a lot of burglaries and break ins. My daughter and grandson live by themselves and have two German Shepard's that live inside with them. She is also very proficient with handguns.

Jim D
SE Texas

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 · (Edited)
Target99,
How do you like your P320? My Walther PPQ 45 is my bedside gun but I bought a FDE/FDE LE P320 carry in 357 Sig that I plan on keeping in the bedroom but taking with me when answering the door. That is if it performs well, I haven't shot it yet. It feels and points well. I don't want to get in the habit of taking my Walther off the night stand.

Jim D

BTW, I didn't go out shopping for a P320, it was on a gun auction "new in box" labor day weekend and I put $395 on it and won the auction for $375. I was surprised.

1 - 19 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.