Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
My side, PPQ45 with Tritium night sights, with 3 mags of (Summer/hot weather) 230gr SIG Elite Perf JHP, (Winter/cold weather) 230gr Win.PDX1 Defender BJHP.

CEOs side, Charter Arms Undercover 38Spl., with 5 speedloaders of 130gr Win.PDX1(Train & Defend) JHP.

I always have the Q45 within reach, 24/7.

Reactions: BCD45

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
........Many other options available close by if needed...

Hahaha, me too.

I have the "Honey Badger" (50AE DEagle w/SIG Romeo4S red dot & TLR-1 light) with 3 mags of 300gr Hornady XTP BJHP, and a Wilson Combat/Beretta 92G Brig Tac with 4 20 rd mags of Win Defender +P 124gr/1200fps (400ft/lbs M.E.) in "quick access" cases close by.

Always good to have options.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
As to the actual gun and ammo choice make sure you know and understand who else in the house. Where are their bedrooms and will the round penetrate the wall and hit them...or leave the house and enter another domain......

Hopefully EVERY person with a firearm is aware of these details.

I would bet I'm not the only gun owner who actually house shops with high ground overlooking open 1st floor area, long hallway leading to master bedroom, "non-pinched" corners to "slice the pie", and "choke points" in mind. I've gotten some odd looks from real estate agents over the years. If they choose to make believe home burglary/invasion never happens, and when they do, consider local PD response as sufficient, that's THEIR loved ones they choose to put at risk.

Other bedrooms, round penetration and surrounding domiciles are homeowner 101.

I even have a large guard dog that sleeps on the stairway landing, and a serious aluminium gate lag bolted at the top of the stairs. Anyone entering my home has the cards stacked against them, HARD!!!!! An unfair advantage, just how I like it.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Having lived around 30 blocks north of Central Ave in St Petersburg in the mid-'90s, and being there during the riots that burned down a significant portion of South St Petersburg, I choose to know I've set myself up to handle a home invasion as best as reasonable preparation can allow.

More Americans need to be in a situation/position where ALL police are deployed to a staging area (Tropicana Field in the St Pete riots), and the forces are used to quell uprisings/contain rioters. There were home invasions north of these riots, and Police/SWAT/LEOs were NOT responding to ADT and other alarm calls.

Reality can be a harsh mistress!

Also had the experience of being front and center for the Baltimore MD riots. Working as a contract ME for an Aerospace Manufacturer. Police were given a "stand down" order, so the rioters could "blow off steam" (THEIR WORDS. SAD!!!!).

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
A simple fact, NO country/government, at ANY time in the history of the world, has been able to GUARANTEE the safety and security of its citizens, under ALL situations.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Had a guy attend a renewal class two weeks ago. Nice man. A current permit holder. Had not ever fired the gun he brought with him and hadn’t fired a gun since five years ago when he applied for his permit the first time. Left handed but didn’t even know he was right hand dominant.

I spent an extra 90 mins with him.

And just think, you don’t need a permit, a liscense, a background check or any understanding of any laws whatsoever to have a gun at home for personal defense. So yes, I do think “Joe Public” is clueless doesn’t consider a lot of things.

People may own a firearm (which I support) but when I ask them questions about basic legal matters in class such as “you are awakened by a noise on the front stoop. You see a shadowy figure outside. You grab your gun. Can you shoot through the window?” Half the class thinks you can with no consequences.

That's frightening.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
BCD45, Add to that the reality of LEOs and Nat'l Guard in Louisiana (post-Katrina) ORDERED to gather ALL firearms owned by citizens, regardless of situations, NO exceptions. It took over 7 yrs and numerous lawsuits filed by NRA to get a process in place to return these weapons to their owners.
This situation boggled my mind, the federal and local government, Nat'l Guard, and State/local LEO are ALL unable to effectively protect the public, and their response? Disarm responsible citizens.
They were ACTUALLY knocking down doors of OCCUPIED citizens homes, claiming that this was done to ensure the safety of everyone inside, then questioning occupants/searching for firearms.
Try that sh1t in Texas after a national disaster, most citizens won't give two turds who the F is on the other side of their door while it's being broken from it's hinges. FEMA better send lots of body bags if they think that SOP/process will work around these parts.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Then again, in TX you can pretty much shoot anyone for looking at your funny. But TX is not most states.

Not really.

It's the same standard as most other "pro 2nd A" states.

If you use a firearm, you need to have a situation where you or those around you are faced with a imminent, deadly threat.

It SEEMS like Texas laws are more lax, because post shooting, many shooters are not arrested.

Some states, use a firearm for self/home defense, get arrested. You have state/local politicians & prosecutors to thank for this. In some states, the criminal has more rights then the victim. Not only won't I live in a state like this, I won't visit/vacation there either.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
"These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy."

The list......

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/left/

Gone are the days of unbiased/impartial news/data reporting. Today it's all about driving an agenda.

The "higher education" institutions can't even turn out students who understand "debate". Simple "premise, sub-premise, facts, empirical evidence, conclusion" is gone.

Today it's "attack ANYONE who disagrees", call them names, scream, ban them from campus/all social media, get in their faces, spit in their food, threaten their family, blind side tackle then, shoot up their baseball games,........

Sad times to live in, for sure.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Same here.

Lived in NJ for 25 yrs, totally wacked state.

Spent almost 20 yrs in Florida, better, but a freak show at times.

Texas for over a decade now, the best hands down.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I keep a nice little Remington 870(the short version, can't remember name)loaded with rubber 00 buckshot. If that doesn't take care of the problem, an AR 15 with 30 rounds of 55 grain 223 cal. should. As a last resort, a S&W 586 with 6 self defense 357 mags. A couple things we need to be aware of; a friend is sitting in jail because what he said during a 911 call, also, cops can and will check your computers and cell phones for things you might say. I suggest we be very careful. What is said in forums like this can come back and bite you.

I stand behind my statement about not caring who is breaking my door down during/after a natural disaster. I would consider that a threat to EVERYONE in my home, and my items of value.

I would have NO problem stating that to a jury here in Texas. Without a warrant, LEOs and Nat'l Guard have NO right entering my home!!!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
An LEO does have the legal right if they have a warrant or probable cause.

Well, knock on the door, show the warrant, I'll open the door and allow access. How it's done in a civilized society.

The probable cause to break my door down while I'm home? It better be sufficient to stand up on it's own in court. Which I know it won't. I live an exemplary "squared away" life. Don't drink/smoke/take ANY drugs, scrips or otherwise (ibuprofen is the ONLY exception). Absolutely ZERO illegal items in my home, and ZERO involvement in ANY illegal activities.

If anyone wants to roll the "probable cause" dice to break my door down unannounced, bring it! The action will NOT stand up in court, and the "authorizing agency" that green lighted the action will be responsible for ALL resulting actions (including fatalities), and a HUGE lawsuit filed by myself and/or family. My attorney will have excellent access to the crime scene, he lives next door.

A law abiding homeowner has rights in their own home, and protecting themselves and loved ones from illegal entry is among them.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Don't know if you follow the news, the NRA lobbied and won this years ago.

Indiana was the first state to ALLOW law abiding citizens to use deadly force against public servants who unlawfully enter their homes, this includes LEOs. Many states have followed.

LEOs need to follow the laws they took an oath to enforce, imagine that! Just like ANY other citizen in the USA.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Well, good luck with that as bullets are flying everywhere.

And I assume the chances of any of this happening are about as remote as a meterorite hitting you on the head.

As it would. I'm not going to ask "who's there", when the door is coming down!

It won't be a neighbor asking to borrow a cup of sugar on the other side.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Same as you should invoke your 5th Amendment rights AFTER a shooting, you should exercise them BEFORE, as in now, also and not post how you're gonna ventilate anyone who's gonna come through your door. Also, don't have any cutesy decorations around the house like "911? 1911!" signs and such.

This discussion has NOTHING to do with someone coming thru the door.

This is a situation of the door being broken down, post natural disaster. Issue/topic conflation is the enemy of logical discussion.

Also NO items around the home like that 911 sign. Or guns with "Smile, wait for flash" on muzzle.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I think those in other states view Texas "deadly force" property protection laws as "odd", due to the necessity of protecting ranchers/farmers from equipment/product/horse theft and "cattle rustling".

Most of these ranches would wait over an hour (for an LEO), if a "theft in progress" call was placed. Heck, in that time, cattle are already being "processed" at a makeshift slaughterhouse. If the law was "run with what you have loaded" because your victims/ranchers/farmers CAN"T shoot, theft would be astronomical. REALITY!

Those in other states need to realize, If some homeowner in a populated area of Texas, were to shoot a criminal walking away from their home with several stolen items, that shooter will most likely go to prison for a long time. REALITY!

It's not like "see someone pick up your cellphone off a mall food court table, shoot them dead, good shoot, no arrest, no charges". That is NOT Texas law. REALITY!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Case in point, in Texas, George Zimmerman probably would NOT have walked away scot-free, as he did in Florida. Because he did initiate the confrontation, and that's specifically spelled out as a condition for NOT a legal "self defense" shooting.

I could spell it all out, copy and paste the relevant paragraphs from Texas law, when or when not it's legal to shoot, etc etc... but you know what, I paid $75 for that class, I had to sit there for six hours and two more of the Lawshield presentation... go pay it yourself if you wanna educate yourself about Texas self-defense laws and rules. ;)

I actually paid and sat thru TWO Texas firearm law classes, and I ALREADY had the Firearms Legal Protection nationwide coverage.

Even those who only use a firearm for home defense (no EDC) need the info.

My neighbor is an attorney who's practice handles these cases. We've had dozens of discussions on the topic during neighborhood pool parties/cookouts. I would bet my neighbors have had more legal detailed firearm discussions then almost any neighborhood anywhere else.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
And if you can't trust an old drunk with hair plugs and no comment filter who can you trust?

Don't forget he can't keep his grubby, liver spotted hands off little girls! Even on stage, in front of TV cameras.

They don't come ANY creepier then "Perv Joe".

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.