Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious what different people's bedside gun choice is and possibly the ammo you load for it. I'm very aware that some do not have a bedside weapon due to children and I can certainly appreciate that. However my wife and I are retired and live alone so I do have them. If grandchildren or visitors come over we deadlock our bedroom door.

On one bedside table is my Walther PPQ 45 loaded with 185gr. Gold Dot's and the other bedside table has a HK USP Compact 357 Sig loaded with 125gr. Winchester Ranger T-series ammo. I keep several loaded magazines in the draw as well. Not very far away is my Remington 870 9 shot tactical loaded with #2 steel shot & #4 buckshot.

I'm just always curious what people trust their lives to in case of a home invasion or something similar. It happened to a very good friend of mine. He went to the door unarmed and 4 thugs broke in and they beat him so bad that for a few days it was a 50/50 chance that he would live. It does happen more often than you here about. Have a good week.

Jim D

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
A small variety of Walther 9mm pistols, notably a PPQ and a P99c with the 17 round mag. Both of them have night sights, there's also a tac light, and at a little further away is a Mossy 500A loaded with slugs.

There's more, but these stay out when I'm home. There's ALWAYS a handgun (one at least) near to hand when I'm home.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Glock model 22 in 40. And Mossberg 500 with buckshot. There's a couple more around the house. But these are bedside. I like reading so far that the shotgun appears to be very popular for home defense.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
My side, PPQ45 with Tritium night sights, with 3 mags of (Summer/hot weather) 230gr SIG Elite Perf JHP, (Winter/cold weather) 230gr Win.PDX1 Defender BJHP.

CEOs side, Charter Arms Undercover 38Spl., with 5 speedloaders of 130gr Win.PDX1(Train & Defend) JHP.

I always have the Q45 within reach, 24/7.

Reactions: BCD45

·
Registered
434 Posts
Suppressed Colt 635 smg loaded with 147gr 9mm jhp, Suppressed Colt Mk 18 loaded with 55gr Ballistic Tips or Suppressed Kriss Vector loaded with 147gr 9mm jhp depending on the rotation.

These are backed up by whatever handguns we happen to be carrying at the time.

Reactions: Nsights

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use my Glock 35 with a light/laser under it. With the Glock, there's no safeties to fumble with, and I think a blinding light and a red dot on the BG is a big intimidation factor.

·
Registered
89 Posts
P99AS with 115gr JHP and an older pre freedom group 870 Express 12 gauge with #4 buckshot. Many other options available close by if needed...

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
#4 seems the best choice indoors, particularly with people in other rooms who you don't want to be hit. Plus it makes that satisfying noise when racked........

·
Registered
160 Posts
Used to be a P99 in .40 with night sights, then a Beretta 96A1 with a Streamlight TLR-1HL attached to it. Now currently an XDM 10MM with the same TLR-1HL attached

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Taurus Judge Magnum loaded with 3 rounds of Federal Premium .410 Handgun 000 Buck and 2 rounds of C.O.P. 200gr .45 Long Colt JHPs.

Reactions: spin40 and Mogg2112

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
........Many other options available close by if needed...

Hahaha, me too.

I have the "Honey Badger" (50AE DEagle w/SIG Romeo4S red dot & TLR-1 light) with 3 mags of 300gr Hornady XTP BJHP, and a Wilson Combat/Beretta 92G Brig Tac with 4 20 rd mags of Win Defender +P 124gr/1200fps (400ft/lbs M.E.) in "quick access" cases close by.

Always good to have options.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A lot of variation, that's good, people should use what they like and shoot well.

I'm a big fan of the shotgun and have done a lot of testing and #2 steel at close/medium range and it is awesome, 4 of those backed up by 5 #4 copper plated buck shot. In our home you have to go down a fairly long hall to get to our bedroom. I told my wife that if I'm not home and she hears someone breaking in a door from the outside, forget the pistol a grab the 870. I also have her answering the door now with a firearm on her. If someone gets offended by that don't come over anymore.

I'm also really surprised that no one even mentioned an AR. I keep a light weight 16" AR with an Aimpoint red dot on all the time right next to the 870 in case trouble spills out to the yard or there's trouble outside. I may never grab it but it's there in case. Stay safe and have a good weekend.

Jim D

·
Registered
929 Posts
A PPS M1 with light.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Alternate a SIG P220 and SIG P226 SAO Legion, night sights and lights. Also an AR15 with a spare mag sling as a ready rifle.

Shotguns are an awesome choice.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I don't have a bedside gun......because I don't have a bed. I'm so terrified of intruders breaking into my house that I stay awake all night, every night, with a shotgun on my lap. I keep the PPQ holstered as a backup and, as a backup to the backup, I keep the PPS in an ankle holster.

I have various large-calibre revolvers strategically placed in every room around the house, as well as a small pocket pistol on a shelf near the doorway - so that I can slip it in my pocket if I have to pop down to the shops for a bottle of milk. As my back yard is quite overgrown, I take one of the large-cal revolvers with me when I go out there - you never know what kind of creatures might be lurking in the undergrowth.

The swimming pool is well protected by a scaled-down missile frigate - just in case uninvited guests think they can relax there.

My pride and joy, however, is the mid-upper turret salvaged from a scrapped WW2 Avro Lancaster. I changed out the original Browning .303 Mark IIs for dual .50 cals and mounted the turret on the roof of the house. That way I can see any potential intruders from a long way off and pick the buggers off as soon as they turn the corner into my street.

All of this despite the fact that I live in a very peaceful country where, unlike some other places, people don't go around shooting at one another.

Now isn't that strange?

Balor

1 - 20 of 233 Posts