Walther Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Interesting hand-loading information, thanks for that. I am not sure how you concluded that the 9 Police bullet tumbles, that doesn’t sound right to me, nor have I seen evidence of that on my target silhouettes. Welcome to the PP Super fan club, an elite group of Walther collectors :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Shot a few of the Fort Scott Solid Copper TUI 95gr .355 bullets out of the Walther PP Super into water jugs. They shredded the water jugs like HP's do. They are very similar to the 9 Ultra 100 gr FMJ's. These copper solids end up sideways in my bullet trap after passing through the water jugs. They are stable till they penetrate a target. The JHP's are PPU 95 gr JHP's on top of 4.3gr WW 231. They won't expand reliably at 4 grs WW 231. The Hornady standard XTP 95 gr JHP's work great.

Cast Lead 100 gr Truncated .380 bullets. Same profile as the Factory 9 Ultra.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Thanks, Sarge! If we ever get back to having gunshows, I'll keep an eye peeled for a Super. Really happy to hear they can be reloaded with the right combination of dies.
Moon

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
There is a PP Super in .380acp on Gunbroker now.

Starting bid is 2275.00. Yikes! Is that the going rate?

I always wanted one but was put off by the scarcity of the 9x18 ammunition. A .380 version would be attractive to me.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I am no expert, but I have owned an embarrassing number of Supers over the years, including three in .380. Currently, I have one excellent example of each caliber. Depending on a NOS or LNIB full package versus just a well-used pistol with one mag, the .380 Supers on GB will typically sell in a price range of ~$2,200 to ~$1,350. The optional OEM wood grips will often add ~$125-150 (regardless of the caliber wearing them - same grips). In any given year, you will see three or four .380 come up for sale, most of which are in nice or excellent condition. Incidentally, magazine prices have gone up considerably, especially those stamped .380 (all magazines are identical, just the caliber stamp is different). That is why a pistol with two mags is automatically more attractive to me than those with just one. Happy hunting!

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
I am no expert, but I have owned an embarrassing number of Supers over the years, including three in .380. Currently, I have one excellent example of each caliber. Depending on a NOS or LNIB full package versus just a well-used pistol with one mag, the .380 Supers on GB will typically sell in a price range of ~$2,200 to ~$1,350. The optional OEM wood grips will often add ~$125-150 (regardless of the caliber wearing them - same grips). In any given year, you will see three or four .380 come up for sale, most of which are in nice or excellent condition. Incidentally, magazine prices have gone up considerably, especially those stamped .380 (all magazines are identical, just the caliber stamp is different). That is why a pistol with two mags is automatically more attractive to me than those with just one. Happy hunting!
I've done the same with pistols I like. Especially if the gun is rare and finding another might not be easy.

What is your impression of the gun? How does it shoot for you?

It's definitely an interesting weapon as it represents the final development in Walther's blowback service pistol lineage.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
I always wanted one but was put off by the scarcity of the 9x18 ammunition.
As Ultra ammo is readily available now I wouldn't shy away from one for that reason. Prices have been steadily rising as more and more folks get the opportunity to shoot them.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
As Ultra ammo is readily available now I wouldn't shy away from one for that reason. Prices have been steadily rising as more and more folks get the opportunity to shoot them.
Thanks for the response Jimbo. Who is making Ultra ammo these days?

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Has anyone actually tried just running .380s in the Super guns? Suspect it would headspace on the extractor.
Yeah, I realize Super ammo is available now, but .380 is cheaper/more common.
Moon

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Here are my opinions on the last few questions. The PP Super is very well built and very reliable. I have never had any FTFeed, FTFire, or FTE - they run like a top. I absolutely recommend getting one, or perhaps several, and you can thank me later :). Only Fiocchi is making new production 9x18 Ultra/9 mm Police, other than recent speciality loads by Reeds (in the last year). Fiocchi makes a production run once a year, so getting 9x18 ammo is simply not an issue. Price is comparable to a less popular round like .32. You can also find NOS Fiocchi and GECO, and even a bit of Herters on rare occasion. Those old stocks are getting harder to find as people like me hoard them. Yes, you can shoot .380 in your 9x18 pistol, and in my experience it will cycle just fine. The cases will bulge, and it does probably headspace on the extractor, so for various reasons I do not recommend doing so. You are better off spending the money to get the .380 version and be safe and happy. That said, serious Walther collectors really ought to consider getting one in 9x18, even though it is deemed a failed attempt by Walther to develop a new caliber. (Side note: although Walther recycled the Ultra name, the ammo specs of the older version are not the same as the current version.) For every five or six police surplus Supers, you will find one commercial pistol for sale. Most will be import stamped, but I have owned a few with no import marks. In general, you are least likely to see import marks on the .380 version, presumably because many of those were bought by American service men at the Rod & Gun clubs while deployed in Germany.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Here are my opinions on the last few questions. The PP Super is very well built and very reliable. I have never had any FTFeed, FTFire, or FTE - they run like a top. I absolutely recommend getting one, or perhaps several, and you can thank me later :). Only Fiocchi is making new production 9x18 Ultra/9 mm Police, other than recent speciality loads by Reeds (in the last year). Fiocchi makes a production run once a year, so getting 9x18 ammo is simply not an issue. Price is comparable to a less popular round like .32. You can also find NOS Fiocchi and GECO, and even a bit of Herters on rare occasion. Those old stocks are getting harder to find as people like me hoard them. Yes, you can shoot .380 in your 9x18 pistol, and in my experience it will cycle just fine. The cases will bulge, and it does probably headspace on the extractor, so for various reasons I do not recommend doing so. You are better off spending the money to get the .380 version and be safe and happy. That said, serious Walther collectors really ought to consider getting one in 9x18, even though it is deemed a failed attempt by Walther to develop a new caliber. (Side note: although Walther recycled the Ultra name, the ammo specs of the older version are not the name as the current version.) For every five or six police surplus Supers, you will find one commercial pistol for sale. Most will be import stamped, but I have owned a few with no import marks. In general, you are least likely to see import marks on the .380 version, presumably because many of those were bought by American service men at the Rod & Gun clubs while deployed in Germany.
Thanks for the informative reply. It is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Moon - reloading for the 9x18 Super has been discussed in several threads over the years, and several members have described their reloading methods.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts