Walther Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need the Walther PP's slide-mass to do some calculations... can anyone help?

I am using the excellent Wolff 18lb PP spring in my Bersa with great success - but my physics equations require the slide mass of the Walther PP to see how far I can increase the recoil spring strength before it effects functionality.

Below is info on how I am using the spring:

I recently purchased a Bersa Thunder 380 Plus (actually the new Thunder 380 they named as "TPR" 380) and quickly discovered how terribly sharp the recoil is on the Bersa, which I found was due to underpowered recoil Springs... The recoil was so bad that the beaver tail was literally cutting/wearing the skin on webbing of my thumb raw.

Upon doing some research I found that many have used Wolff's Walther PP Recoil-Springs to solve this problem.

RESEARCH I DID ON THE VIABILITY-OF AND HISTORY-OF USING THE WALTHER PP RECOIL SPRINGS IN THE BERSA THINDER 380

Aftet hands on and shooting testing I came to the conclusion that Bersa 380's are sacrificing recoil for ease-of-racking, which is inexcusable in my book. I found the Factory Bersa spring to be 12 Lb verus the Walther PP standard spring being 15 Lb!

TESTING/EXPERIMENT I DID TO FIND THE BERSA SPRING WEIGHT

However, I was able to completely mitigate the overly sharp recoil by in sharp recoil by installing a Wolf Walther PP 18 lb "extra power" spring in the firearm. The PP spring has same number of coils, and is only alightly smaller in diameter (I had to loosen the one retaining coil on the end of the spring however with some pliers). It has worked amazingly, and with 100% relaibility - and it makes shooting it suppressed so much more fun with my on the Bersa.

RESULTS OF TESTING WALTHER PP SPRINGS IN THE BERSA 380

My question now is this:

How much does the Walter PP slide weigh?

If it weighs less than the Bersa slide, then I should be able to get away with putting in an even stronger recoil Spring while maintaining reliability.

Wolff offers 20lb and 24lb springs for PPK and PPK/S, and since the PPK/S is essentially the same length as the PP, O figured I couldtry these springs in my Bersa 380 as well, of the slide mass and spring strength calculate to the same resistance in those guns as they would in my Bersa. The only concern is woth the less length and fewer coils, that slide experience some over-travel when recoiling, as the fully compressed springs would be significantly shorter

Side note: The Bersa 380 "CC" line has a recoil spring with same coil count and length as the springs Wolff makes for the PPK.

RESEARCH ON HOW THE BERSA "CC" SERIES AND WALTHER PPK (OR PPK/S) USE THE SAME LENGTH AND COIL COUNT IN THEIR RECOIL SPRINGS SOLD BY WOLFF - SO IF THE CC SPRING IS UNDERPOWERED, LIkE THE STANDARD BERSA, IT COULD LIKELY BE FIXED WITH PPK SPRINGS

I tried all the availble PP springs from Wolff and the strongest, the 18 lb spring l, worked the best at reducing painful recoil that previously caused the beaver-tail tail to hurt the webbing of my thumb, and made shooting the gun not enjoyable.

Eyewear Font Material property Packaging and labeling Carton

I did try every aftermarket Walther PP spring, and indeed the 18 lb one from Wolff has worked best (tried the 15, 16, and 17 as well). I and have not a single failure to feed or Eject.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts