Walther Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard +P mentioned before but never actually encountered any in real life. Well I found some here and they wouldn't allow me to add it to my cart until I uploaded my DD214. I wasn't planning on using it at the range but for carry purposes only.

Rectangle Purple Line Font Magenta

Will it mess with the barrel as it's higher pressure or something?

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
What idiots are requiring a DD214 for ammo purchases? Avoid them and go do an American company that understands that 2A means "shall not be infringed".

As for +P ammo - its higher pressure. Not an issue for most weapons. PPQ specifically? Yes it is as stated in the manual.

http://www.waltherarms.com/wp-content/uploads/Instruction-Manual-PPQ-M-Series-USA.pdf

“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the wear characteristics of your PPQ pistol or exceed the margin of safety. Use of “Plus-P” ammunition may result in the need for more frequent service.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What idiots are requiring a DD214 for ammo purchases? Avoid them and go do an American company that understands that 2A means "shall not be infringed".

As for +P ammo - its higher pressure. Not an issue for most weapons. PPQ specifically? Yes it is as stated in the manual.

http://www.waltherarms.com/wp-content/uploads/Instruction-Manual-PPQ-M-Series-USA.pdf
It was budsgunshop, yeah I just figured it was normal because I've literally never seen any for sale, maybe it's further down the "Price Per Round" column area that I normally go for haha. So say like that .45 ammo I have in the cart, that would be more pressure than say Hornady Critical Defense? They're required to put the +P or is it optional? They wanted it for the Hornady TAP as well which now I'm thinking would probably be better suited for a bolt action and not an AR-10 unless some situation arose where I thought I might need it because if there's too much pressure the BCG would slam back harder and maybe make a dent (totally guessing at that)

·
Registered
285 Posts
It is clearly stated that the Hornady +P cartridges you selected are for "Qualified Professionals" ONLY. To purchase you must be police or military or some other classification that meets the QP standard. In order to prove you qualify, they asked for a DD-214.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Is there some reason why they only sell these rounds to government organizations, or people who work or worked for them that I'm unaware of?

At face value, an ammunition manufacturer selling rounds that the public is legally able to buy, but only to government organizations, gets as much respect from me as a firearm manufacturer that sells firearms that the public is legally able to buy, but only to government organizations.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is clearly stated that the Hornady +P cartridges you selected are for "Qualified Professionals" ONLY. To purchase you must be police or military or some other classification that meets the QP standard. In order to prove you qualify, they asked for a DD-214.
I know, I provided it. I'm saying is that for EVERYONE? Like my dad can't buy +P or is this particular company just doing it for insurance purposes?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I know, I provided it. I'm saying is that for EVERYONE? Like my dad can't buy +P or is this particular company just doing it for insurance purposes?
Bud's sells certain items that are only for "Qualified Professionals". That includes some firearms offered at a lower price that they would be sold to the general public. While I qualify, I've never bought anything from their QP program.

·
Registered
707 Posts
+P...To use or not to use that is the question.

Hornady Critical Duty +P is a round intended for LEO usage. It is specifically designed for exceptional barrier penetration in terms of FBI protocols for glass, vehicles doors, building materials, ETC. It delivers consistent, albeit mild, expansion. It is in all regards excellent ammo (although I'd suggest you run at least a box or two to verify function).

That said... Critical Duty's performance profile is not especially well suited for what many civilians look for in a self defense cartridge (IE: Significant expansion with minimal potential to pass through barriers). I personally dislike it's somewhat a-typical bullet weight (220GR).

If you're looking for a ammo online I like to use ammoseek.com

Here is a search for critical duty +P.... lots of places selling it and they sell it to anyone. Buds or other organizations may offer more desirable pricing for 'qualified professionals' or in some cases even restrict purchase entirely. That is sometimes a requirement of the manufacturer but in many cases just bull hoonkey. Critical Duty +P is widely available for civilians and even big box sporting goods stores offer it for sale

Of course you can put in whatever you want - HST, Gold Dot, Golden Sabre/Ultimate Defense, PDX, whatever floats your boat. Or even just search by price alone.

In 45ACP I like standard pressure Ranger-T or Golden Sabres... but when you're dealing with a .45 caliber size projectile they all tend to do pretty well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You need only look at the "who qualifies...." page. If your dad is/was one of the listed professions, he qualifies too. Unless there is a listed expiration date on the credential (like a DD-214), it expires 12 months from submittal. You simply need to re-upload and carry on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You need only look at the "who qualifies...." page. If your dad is/was one of the listed professions, he qualifies too. Unless there is a listed expiration date on the credential (like a DD-214), it expires 12 months from submittal. You simply need to re-upload and carry on.
Yeah Dad is a veteran too, probably a bad example lol, should have said my Mom. Well interesting then, looks like it can be had from other places without verification so probably just something related to insurance I would imagine.

·
Registered
450 Posts
He's an article that compares the performance of some of the more common ammo brands in .45, among other popular calibers. The .45 chart is very close to the bottom of the page.

Some +P rounds have significantly more penetration than non +P rounds, and others don't.

Personally, I don't care for +P. Just the standard 230gr HSTs for me.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
At one point LEO ammunition was taxed differently than standard commercial ammo and probably still is. I suspect that Bud's requires this information in order to get a LEO/military discount from Hornady. I purchased Critical Duty from Midway earlier this year and they didn't ask me for anything extra.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At one point LEO ammunition was taxed differently than standard commercial ammo and probably still is. I suspect that Bud's requires this information in order to get a LEO/military discount from Hornady. I purchased Critical Duty from Midway earlier this year and they didn't ask me for anything extra.
Good point, I did notice a price difference when I started browsing around after posting this thread, a not too insignificant one at that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts