Walther Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've been considering getting a new Fort Smith Walther PPK/S in .380 ACP, but my search for reviews on it has been rather fruitless with most reviews I can find being on the older S&W PPK/S.

So what's the general consensus on the Fort Smith Walther PPK/S, preferably from those who've actually handled/fired one? Is it a quality piece? I've heard that the post-recall S&W PPK/S was actually pretty high quality with some good improvements to the overall design such as a smoother feedramp/extended beaver tail, and it appears that the Fort Smith Walther PPK/S is a copy of the S&W PPK/S, so can I expect the same level of quality as the S&W PPK/S or has Walther cut some corners?

I can tell just by reading some of the older threads around here that most users prefer the older Interarms or the original West German/French manufactured PPK/S, so I'm not looking for a comparison to those, nor am I interested in hunting down an older model. I just want to know how the Fort Smith PPK/S compares to the post-recall S&W PPK/S and if it is a quality pistol that is worth the standard price? (i.e. is there any known defects or reasons why I should avoid buying a Fort Smith PPK/S?)
Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated, especially if you actually own or at least have handled a Fort Smith PPK/S.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't exist.

M
Really? I thought that Fort Smith was already turning out PPK/S. If not, then who makes the current .380 PPK/S and is it any good?

·
Super Moderator
7,312 Posts
It is reputedly somewhere in the works, but has not started actual production from anything that we have heard here. There have been photos of various parts, and lots of speculation, but the guns aren't out there.
Even when (if not 'if') they actually start production, there are apt to be some teething issues to be overcome.
If you are in a hellfire hurry for a PPK, better to look at Interarms/Ranger guns, or perhaps the post-recall Smith & Walthers.
Moon

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Really? I thought that Fort Smith was already turning out PPK/S.
Walther Arms put a photo on Facebook recently that shows the look of the new PPK coming in 2016. At the moment all the photos on the official website show the previous models made by Smith & Wesson. Some of the photos are photoshopped to omit some of the telltale markings. One photo even shows an American made PPK with German proof marks from 2006. My enthusiasm is very limited currently.

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pp-tp-series/44409-fort-smith-ppk.html#post440794

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
As is mine.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm... I guess that in that case I'll be looking for an S&W PPK/S since from what I've heard the post recall PPK/S from S&W is pretty high quality and should be easier to find than an older model at a fair price.

It baffles me that Walther Arms still hasn't managed to produce their own model years after cutting ties with S&W, especially when they have them advertised on their website as though they're already in production.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I strongly encourage you to reconsider. It's a matter of only a few minutes searching on gunbroker or cabalas gun library website to locate a LNIB Interarms at what will likely be less than MSRP for the S&W model if you can still find one. Plus you'll be getting a superior product.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
It's beyond me why anyone would want one where there are so many fine examples of this pistol available at decent prices already on the market. They aren't new, it's true, but they were built to last, with quality and craftsmanship in mind. Just check out the French pistols (Manurhin) sometime.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I strongly encourage you to reconsider. It's a matter of only a few minutes searching on gunbroker or cabalas gun library website to locate a LNIB Interarms at what will likely be less than MSRP for the S&W model if you can still find one. Plus you'll be getting a superior product.
If I can find a cheaper older model in decent condition, then of course I'd buy it, but so far all the older models I've seen are either significantly more expensive than an S&W PPK/S or had seen heavy use.

I actually plan on using my PPK/S as my CCW, not as a Safe Queen or something to brag about, so while the older models may look much nicer and may be built more sturdy, all I really care about is whether or not it shoots reliably. If I can pull the trigger, it will fire, cycle ammo properly, and stop an attacker, then that's all I need. I've heard that S&W PPK/S models can do all of those things, arguably better than older models due to the feed ramp being improved to better feed hallow points, so that's what I'm most interested in.
If that information is incorrect and the S&W models are in reality less reliable than say an Interarms models, then by all means tell me, but from what I've heard from folks who own both, most prefer the S&W models.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Ah well, I'm afraid you won't find a great deal of support for that position here. Too many of us, myself included, have had bad experiences with the S&W version.

The reality is that the platform in all its various iterations over the years is notoriously sensitive in .380. They simply must be vetted individually with the ammo you intend to carry.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah well, I'm afraid you won't find a great deal of support for that position here. Too many of us, myself included, have had bad experiences with the S&W version.

The reality is that the platform in all its various iterations over the years is notoriously sensitive in .380. They simply must be vetted individually with the ammo you intend to carry.
Has anyone had any issues since they were recalled?

I've fired .22 pistols, so I'm used to ammo sensitivity and know how to deal with it. (I just test out different ammo until I find out which ones work and stick with them.)

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Good used PPK/S pistols can be found easily for under $400. Check pawn shops and local gun sites. If you're going to be carrying it you probably don't want the S&W platypus beak tang jabbing you in the ribs.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good used PPK/S pistols can be found easily for under $400. Check pawn shops and local gun sites. If you're going to be carrying it you probably don't want the S&W platypus beak tang jabbing you in the ribs.
I've tried, only one I found was a heavily used stainless steel Interarms for $600.

I'll keep my eyes open and would definitely grab an Interarms if I could find one for $400 in like-new.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What's the consensus on the Fort Smith .380 PPK/S

Do NOT get a S/W . Been there, done that, tried to deny I had a Defective paperweight, but reality prevailed .

If $$$ is an issue, you might consider a PP.

Sarco often has GENUINE "German" Walther PP police turn ins, in relatively good shape , for LESS than $ 300!

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
It baffles me that Walther Arms still hasn't managed to produce their own model years after cutting ties with S&W, especially when they have them advertised on their website as though they're already in production.
Well, if you look at their website closely then you even find still statements like this one:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do NOT get a S/W . Been there, done that, tried to deny I had a Defective paperweight, but reality prevailed.
Care to elaborate further?

Well, if you look at their website closely then you even find still statements like this one:

So, does that mean that they haven't manufactured their own PPK/S because S&W is still manufacturing them?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Has anyone had any issues since they were recalled?
You'll find numerous threads here listing problems with post-recall S&Walthers. While some folks have found success, others have found continuing issues. Buy at your own risk.

One thing you can say for the S&W-made pistols is that the extended beavertail does help reduce slide bite. But then, so does a proper grip.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You'll find numerous threads here listing problems with post-recall S&Walthers. While some folks have found success, others have found continuing issues. Buy at your own risk.

One thing you can say for the S&W-made pistols is that the extended beavertail does help reduce slide bite. But then, so does a proper grip.
Upon searching the forums, I have found that most people who own a S&W like them and have nothing negative to say, whereas those who don't like them have less legitimate criticism about them and more personal hangups in regards to S&W not strictly adhering to the original design like Interarms did.
The few legitimate criticisms I have read aren't deal-breakers in my opinion, so unless an Interarms PPK/S practically falls into my lap, I'm just going to take the easy route and get an S&W. I didn't plan on getting the gun for another month or two anyway, so there's plenty of time for an Interarms model to surface and sway me, but if I can't find one in like-new condition for a good price, then I'll just get an S&W.

I'm not a purist, so alterations to the design don't bother me, and the few legit criticisms I have read aren't problematic enough to sway me away from buying one. Besides, if by some chance it does turn out bad, then I'll just sell it and buy an Interarms model later, but I honestly don't see that happening.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Your call, of course, but I'll say it again: The S&Walthers have been a crapshoot, even post-recall. You might get one that works just fine; then again, you might not and will be forced to play the ship/receive game. I'd be sure to shoot it thoroughly before plunking down cold cash, but ... your call.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.