Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I currently have a 75 Swedish police issue PP in .32 and a 94 Interarms stainless PPK in .380. Would love to add a .32 blued PPK to the collection (and have been searching for almost a year now), but not looking to spend over $800. So that rules out pre war/ war time ppk's. I'm thinking Manurhin or Interarms (not interested in s&w). My question is were West German PPK's ever imported into the US, or just PPK/S's? When did production start? Obviously after 68 would make them illegal for import.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have a 1980 Ulm/IA PPK. It was a law enforcement import. Search on "1980 Ulm/IA .380 PPK" and my post with a picture of the PPK will return.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
West German PPK pistols were imported for civilian sales up until the GCA of '68 went into effect. After that, they were imported for a time for law enforcement personnel, but that got quashed some time in, I believe, the early to mid '80s because so many were being sold right back into the civilian market. Interarms imported the West German PPK and PPK/S pistols throughout that time, and continued to import the PPK/S for civilian sales even after they began manufacture of both the PPK and PPK/S through Ranger manufacturing in the early '80s.

After '86, when Manurhin's license to make PP-series pistols elapsed and Ulm took over all manufacturing duties on European-made PP-series pistols, Interarms importation of the PPK/S ceased.

I believe I have that all correct. But if not, someone will be around to correct me.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Production of the .32 PPK started in 1954.

In the beginning Thalson was the importer of Manurhin/Walther pistols before Sam Cummings got the distributiorship.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. With a window of roughly 20 years, I assume a West German marked PPK in .32 wouldn't be considered too rare. I've just only ever seen West German PPK/S's. Be nice if I could find one some day. Given up on Gunbroker awhile back. Things have gotten out of hand.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
They're actually more rare than you might imagine, at least when it comes to finding one for sale. I've never seen one in a gun shop, and rarely see them online. My only .32 PPK is a stainless S&W iteration, and I had to special-order that one. Fortunately, I snagged it just before S&W quit making them in that caliber. As for Interarms/Ranger in .32, they're even more rare. They were only made in the last year or two before Interarms folded.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Walther in Ulm resumed production of PPK in 1986. They have 8k range serial numbers. Quite rare to obtain in the U.S. They are available though for purchase every now and then. I have examples in my collection from the late 1990's in calibre 7,65mm. Will post photos down the road when time permits.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
In Germany you'll get a PPK chambered in 7,65mm on virtually every street corner for about 100 - 150€ BAT (bar auf Tatze => cash). But we aren't involved in your '68 GCA problem... :cool:

Rick is correct. But I believe, just a few were delivered to the US.

·
Registered
485 Posts
In Germany you'll get a PPK chambered in 7,65mm on virtually every street corner for about 100 - 150€ BAT (bar auf Tatze => cash). But we aren't involved in your '68 GCA problem...
But to make up fo that, we have a lot of other hoops you have to jump through before you can take advantage of those ridiculously low prices by actually buying one ... legally. That pretty much explains the prices: a very limited market.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So if you were on vacation in Germany, and found a nice .32 PPK for a low price, what stops you from taking it home to the US? (serious question, I really want to know)

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Well first the German laws on who can buy a gun and how, then the American laws on how to import one that has been banned from importation since 1968...

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Serious answer -

If you have the permission to buy a gun acc. to German law and you have access to a licenced dealer for export, you would be unable to import the gun acc. '68 GCA. Perhaps there are some exceptions I don't know, as I'm German ;)

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
So if you were on vacation in Germany, and found a nice .32 PPK for a low price, what stops you from taking it home to the US? (serious question, I really want to know)
The Gun Control Act of 1968 will prevent you from bringing back a PPK as they do not meet import requirements however for any legally importable weapon here you go...:
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...-importing-new-or-antique-firearms/ammunition

BTW this is just the beginning of your quest...:) plenty more to do and understand before that "jewel" ends up in your home.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very interesting, thanks for the answers. I guess I didn't realize the 1968 GCA was still 100% in effect(?). Which is really dumb, given that there are tons of tiny guns for sale in stores here in the US. Or at least, many that are smaller than a PPK.

Of course, what I'm after like so many of us, is a PPK or PPK/S in 7.65, preferably German made, but holy crap the $2,000 price tag. And even if I bought one at that price, I wouldn't want to shoot it for fear of anything happening to it, even the tiniest cosmetic wear.

Before reading above, I didn't know these are actually available in Germany for much cheaper. What makes that especially frustrating, is that my parents are 1st gereation German, and I have plenty of friends and family over there. Makes it seem "easy" somehow to just hop over there and buy one, but yeah.... these dumb ancient laws.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've got a .32 PPK made in 68...prior to the banning...just made over the wire. Nice little gun, says "Made in West Germany" on the frame. Ulm proof marks. It ain't pretty...well, it is kinda pretty, but not in LNIB condition.

·
Registered
21 Posts
These pictures are of a 1966 PPK from Ulm. Purchased this a six or seven years ago from a local firearms dealer. It is in mint condition and the bluing is flawless. Shoots like a dream. I paid $750 at the time which I knew was high, but I also felt it highly unlikely I'd ever see another one in that condition. I have no idea how or when it came into the country and neither did the dealer I purchased it from. Although he believed it may have been purchased in Germany by someone in the US military in the sixties that took it back to the states with him.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
@Prairie Fire: Think you are right. Proofed in 1965, def. no export model (lacks marking of origin).

Reactions: olsoul

·
Registered
18 Posts
These pictures are of a 1966 PPK from Ulm. Purchased this a six or seven years ago from a local firearms dealer. It is in mint condition and the bluing is flawless. Shoots like a dream. I paid $750 at the time which I knew was high, but I also felt it highly unlikely I'd ever see another one in that condition. I have no idea how or when it came into the country and neither did the dealer I purchased it from. Although he believed it may have been purchased in Germany by someone in the US military in the sixties that took it back to the states with him.

Wow, that is the dream right there. Exactly how I want to find one. And coming across it in person would be best case scenario for sure. Was that the going rate for those 6-7 years ago?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts