Walther Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have owned & shot more guns than the average bear & right now in life the CCP is nearly perfect for me. My trigger is great, the accuracy is better than most of my smaller guns & most important the rack is very easy for me & I badly need it.

I am like Milspec in that the trigger does not bother me at all. Mine is very smooth and easy. I would like to see some big white dot sights & a round trigger guard. Even a 7 round shorter grip would be better for me, but I like the gun the way it is fine.

When I have a gun that is less than 22 oz, has an easy rack, a lighter recoil & is as accurate as this is, I do not own another gun with all those features. If it works, what is there to gripe about ? I know all about it's bad history & that is why I waited to buy one.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Milspec, I'm not following. Why is a long reset necessary for safety reasons? Other pistols don't require it. A revolver requires a lot of trigger movement to cock and release the hammer unless it is a cowboy action. The CCP also has a manual safety. M1911

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
Ok, so in all seriousness, I went to the LGS today and lo and behold, they had a CCP available.

Things I liked:

• I instantly knew why people liked how it felt in the hand the moment I closed my grip on it. It was almost like holding a mini-PPQ both in terms of fit and right down to the grip stippling's texture.
  • The quality of the magazine seemed solid and the mag well molded into the frame was noteworthy.
  • The trigger width and shape was also very natural, and I found myself enjoying lack of a trigger blade safety.
  • The handgun -was- easier to rack/charge; not enough to make a substantive difference, but still, slightly easier is still 'easier'.
Now for the things I hated and would change:

• The trigger felt awful when in motion. It had 10 miles of unnecessary take-up followed by a gritty pull of 5 or 6 pounds that broke like a wet sponge.
  • The trigger reset was terrible -- I had to let the trigger out fully for a reset.
  • The sights were polymer -- which are too easily damaged on a carry gun (at which point there goes accuracy).
  • I hated the takedown procedure and consider a trend toward simpler designs to be evolution ... with trends in the opposite direction being regression. This was definitely a step backward, not forward, in terms of design evolution.
  • I didn't care for the size of the form-factor. This is the 'Concealed Carry Pistol' and it's definitely bigger than the 'Police Pistol Slim'. Again, this is an evolutionary complaint, as a service caliber carry pistol intended for concealment should be trending smaller, not larger, over time.
Also, I'm a lever mag release guy, not a button mag release guy ... so I didn't care for the button mag release (which I did note was reversible). I'm not holding that against the pistol, though, as that's my preference at play and not an actual design or evolutionary issue.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I also wish the sights were metal. No preference on mag release but the thumb ridge on the grip interferes with my stiff thumb slightly when pressing the release button. So paddle would be easier given that ridge.

·
Super Moderator
3,853 Posts
Rather than reinventing the wheel here, adding this or taking away that, why not just insist that the Umarex crew get the design to function properly 100% of the time before releasing the next batch? That would be a welcome change.
We have lots of threads on that Searcher ... and that wasn't the point of this thread. I do, however, agree with your sentiments 100%.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too have owned, carried, and fired more firearms than I care to count, being 59 years old with artheritus this pistol fits the bill for me....but I agree that rounding off the trigger guard, big white dots, and remove the rail and you got a package. The trigger reset is easy to follow and makes for great double taps....I must have the rare CCP as it has functioned flawlessly...I did replace the striker spring though at around 500 rounds or so...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Pilot, I think you are right on everything, except I do like the rail for a light. My little XDs 9 has a rail & I do like it. It doesn't make it any harder to carry, & it is one of my favorites for carry. Until I got a CCP. The easy rack means a lot to me.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Let's see...this is a self defense pistol.

Put some good self defense sights on it. It isn't a target pistol and better sights don't mean you can't aim it accurately should you need to.

Then, delete the trigger spring and bolt along with the spring and bolt that holds up the trigger bar.

Replace both with one PP type spring that serves the function of both deleted parts.

Clean the cylinder bore and polish it and the cylinder to eliminate all grittiness.

Adjust that trigger bar for less trigger movement and reset distance.

Polish the rear of the drop safety so it slides up onto the right side of the ramp that disengages it when cycling. Eliminate that gouging and make life easier for the drop safety.

The safety rotates too easily, deeper detents or stiffen the plunger spring.

There has got to be a better slide retention and take down system. There is a big counter plate back there held in place by two pins...this makes it easy to remove for a replacement system that holds the slide/striker assembly someway differently. I'll have to think on that one more. How does the P7 work?

I think I can eliminate the bump.....would the pistol be safer with no bump, no pulling the striker back and releasing it? Seems it would be better.

That is one funky magazine catch, particularly the one leg spring. I'll have to think about that one.

Loaded chamber indicator....a viewing port? Can a shooter see any portion of the case when the slide is closed?

Ergonomics....good
Looks............good
gas system....good I guess, nothing has broken there that I know of, it might not dampen recoil that much but it does allow for a lighter recoil spring and that is good.
Polygonal barrel....good
Mag capacity....good

M1911

·
Registered
229 Posts
Loaded chamber indicator....a viewing port? Can a shooter see any portion of the case when the slide is closed?
There is a viewing notch in the top rear of the ejection port but it's hard to see the cartridge.

More important to me would be an external indicator to tell if the striker was cocked or not. Of course, we have the tactile "bump indicator" (could that be by design?) but a small spring loaded pin that protrudes from the rear of the slide when the striker is cocked would be nice.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Maybe not the purpose of this thread, but ...

Continue to improve the robustness of the parts.

Eliminate the possibility of chambering a round without setting the striker.

·
Registered
218 Posts
>The safety rotates too easily..
Mine is good as is...just enough tension. Tho' as a southpaw I leave it off for carry.

>There has got to be a better slide retention and take down system.
This had to be a cost decision and a poor one at that. Most negative press on this gun revolves around this mistake.

>Loaded chamber indicator....a viewing port?
Cost again. Port works but I can only see the case rim in bright lighting...with my glasses.

·
Registered
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

Any number of pistols use a spring to reset the trigger and operate the trigger bar. Bodyguard above but essentially the same concept as any PP pistol. The front end of the spring is caught by the trigger when installed. The long leg sticks straight up. You then rotate it counterclockwise and hook the long leg under the trigger bar. You now have pressure on the trigger and constant lift on the trigger bar. Exactly the same as the CCP except the CCP uses four parts to accomplish the same. Why?

I would have to study this more but in order to remove the slide on the CCP you have to do two things. Lift the locking catch and press the rear of the striker assembly forward until it clears the counter plate hook. How about a simple button through the slide. In order to align it you pull the slide back, say 3/8", press in the button which does two things. First it wedges the lock upward so it clears the counter plate and at the same time fits into a hole or slot on the portion that fits into the hook. Letting the slide forward 1/4" causes the locking components to disengage from the counter plate. You then lift the rear of the slide. Reassembly is the opposite. M1911

21 - 36 of 36 Posts