Walther Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Maybe I should phrase this differently. A P99AS optic ready with PDP texture
This is what it would take for me. I don't care about optics, but paddle mag release and magazine compatibility with the standard P99 AS would be great, oh and keep the more svelte P99 slide.
Otherwise I already have the Walther pistols I want or need.

Reactions: Mig1

·
Registered
6 Posts
The reason I purchased the PDP is because I was hoping it would need nothing. Things it has that I would need/like done on a Glock to be ideal for my carry:
  • Improved grip texture (seems good so far, could be a little better but much improved over stock Glock)
  • Deep-set optic mounting (I'd prefer direct mount, but this is a tradeoff I can make since it's set so low for a factory plate system)
  • Aggressive front serrations (I prefer manipulating from the front when running an MRDS)
  • Trigger with decent travel and smooth break (I don't need short & light; I want some travel so I can prep to the break and then break without disturbing the sights)
IMO very few guns have ideal sights out of the box, esp if you consider putting an optic on it. The fact that the Walther takes Glock sights is a HUGE plus, esp compared to H&K which has shit for aftermarket sight options.

Right now the magazines not feeding properly at 18 rounds, the lack of factory magazines, and the lack of suitable AIWB holsters are my biggest issues. But I'm only ~500 rounds in. Clock is ticking on the 30 day return, we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My "Dream Walther" would have the P99 AS Trigger system, a PPQ Slide, and a PDP grip. I'm fine with either type of mag release honestly and don't really have a preference there.
That would be a really nice pistol. I'd like the paddle mag release but I'd definitely buy one even if it came with a button.

·
Super Moderator
2,279 Posts
That would be a really nice pistol. I'd like the paddle mag release but I'd definitely buy one even if it came with a button.
Where would the decocker go on a PPQ slide? Would you move it to the back of the frame?

Just curious how it would work.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If I were designing it, I'd put the decocker right where it is on the P99. My interpretation was not to literally use a PPQ slide, but rather to have a slide with the same form and texturing as a PPQ. Essentially the "updated" P99 slide some of us hoped for but never got. (although I really was hoping for an updated P99 grip, not so much slide). Not sure if that aligns with Zoey's thoughts.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Where would the decocker go on a PPQ slide? Would you move it to the back of the frame?

Just curious how it would work.
I like where it is located on the P99, but I'm not sure how it would be possible on my Franken-Walther LoL.

I know it's a bit old fashioned I suppose but having that added safety and comfort of carrying in double action is so important to me. It's one of the reasons I've never been able to switch to a PPQ SC or a PDP Compact, no DA/SA offerings =(

If I drive through a bad area of town or something or if I was ever in the situation where I thought I might need my weapon soon, I love being able to put it in single action as well. The versatility is key for me I suppose.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Right now the magazines not feeding properly at 18 rounds, the lack of factory magazines, and the lack of suitable AIWB holsters are my biggest issues. But I'm only ~500 rounds in. Clock is ticking on the 30 day return, we'll see how it goes.
Elaborate on magazine issue? I've run my PDP 4.5" with Canik 18, 20 and the factory Walther 18s, with my reloads and factory and never had any feeding issues. I've not seen anyone else complain about this. What ammo are you running? Factory 18 round mags? I agree with the issue of lack of factory mags, fortunately the Canik MA550s have become available again MA550 - Century Arms TP9 Series Magazine Black 9mm 20Rds 787450297487

Reactions: ZoeyB

·
Registered
159 Posts
A manual safety. That's what I'd like to see on the PDP and other striker fired pistols.

My bedside nightstand handgun is a clone of the CZ-75 Compact in 40 S&W. I keep the chamber loaded and the hammer down. It requires using the double action or cocking for single action to fire. I don't feel that a striker fired pistol, cocked with a round in the chamber, is safe. In the event of an intrusion, I don't want to have to rack the slide and the noise give my position away. Thus I would like a manual safety for my striker fired pistols. Otherwise, a hammer gun with a round in the chamber and the hammer down will remain my home defense choice.

Before someone mentions children etc as a safety concern, it's just my wife and I and my wife never touches my guns.

·
Registered
161 Posts
What some of you guys are asking for seems to be a P99 with the PDP's grip texture. That's fine.

I'm sort of surprised the P99 was never evolved in that direction.
I think the biggest surprise for me is the fact Walther has never offered another DA/SA/Decocker setup since the P99.

Something like the PPQ or PDP offered in DA/SA/Decocker would be so awesome to me, (and maybe some others?), it doesn't make sense to me that Walther does not have a single variety of anything like that, and has instead just gone to "Glock style trigger, all day, all the time, every model"

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think the biggest surprise for me is the fact Walther has never offered another DA/SA/Decocker setup since the P99.

Something like the PPQ or PDP offered in DA/SA/Decocker would be so awesome to me, (and maybe some others?), it doesn't make sense to me that Walther does not have a single variety of anything like that, and has instead just gone to "Glock style trigger, all day, all the time, every model"
"Glock Style" constant-action triggers are extremely popular right now, so it makes some sense that they would represent a large majority of Walther's offerings. Interestingly, the P22, PK380 and PPK are still DA/SA guns, though you're correct in that the P99 was the last "duty" gun to be offered in that action type. I suppose one could make the argument that whatever market was left for DA/SA pistols in that family would have the P99 to choose from. Despite my enthusiasm for DA/SA, there may not be a large enough market out there to make the P99 and something else. Now, if the P99 is discontinued, it might make more sense to have a PDP AS.

·
Registered
90 Posts

If you want the P99 setup, get the Canik TP9DA. Decocker, anti-stress trigger, long slide locks, etc. The only thing it doesn’t have is the paddle mag release.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The only thing that is giving pause on purchasing a PDP is that I hate multi-optics ready systems (all manufacturers). I hate adapter plates. And I want the optic to sit as low and secure as possible. I would rather have a non optics ready slide, so I can get it milled for a specific footprint.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The only thing that is giving pause on purchasing a PDP is that I hate multi-optics ready systems (all manufacturers). I hate adapter plates. And I want the optic to sit as low and secure as possible. I would rather have a non optics ready slide, so I can get it milled for a specific footprint.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I agree to a certain extent.

The ideal solution is if the industry would adopt a standard footprint.

We almost are there for slim slides with the RMSc footprint.

We almost got there when the army specified the Leopold footprint for the MHS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you want the P99 setup, get the Canik TP9DA. Decocker, anti-stress trigger, long slide locks, etc. The only thing it doesn’t have is the paddle mag release.
I'd just get a P99 rather than the Canik clone--but I think what some of us are saying is that if we had a DA/SA option in a PDP, we might be more likely to buy one.

·
Registered
P99QA Gen 1 (sold), PDP compact 4", PPS, Q5 Match, and a few from lesser brands as well.
59 Posts
If Walther ever brings the PDP grips to the Q5 Match, I might just be tempted.
The frame of the polymer Q5 match is interchangeable with the PDP. In fact, there's been a couple guys over on the Walther subreddit that have pictures of their Q5 match slide on the PDP frame. It is definitely a good combination. Not sure if the combination would be allowed in competition, but the combination does work (from what I've read).

You can also buy a Q5 match upper conversion kit to add to your PDP, if you can find the kit anywhere.

Unfortunately, the PDP grip will not work with the Q5 match Steel Frame slide as the steel frame parts are not interchangeable with the polymer grip pistols.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm old school and very rarely change anything on a stock pistol or rifle.

That being said, I'm not surprised that I like my 5" Compact just the way I received it - with the only thing I added being an optic...

21 - 40 of 49 Posts