Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pdp needs something? For example glock needs sights , maybe trigger, but it has cheap spare parts, accessories and so many companies who make after markets because glock need them........ Pdp need something , like aftermarkets, spare parts ect ect to be better ???

·
Registered
93 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
The caliber.
It should be in 45acp (with the ability to shoot +P), 10mm, or 357 SIG.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It is so much expensive!!!!!!!!! Are there cheaper sights??? So for you pdp is perfect and you want to change sights only?
I find those to be the best sights for me. Target acquisition is amazing. There are good fiber optic sights out there, but why go on the cheap, especially if you are using the gun for self defense? You’ll want that tritium front sight in that case. If you are just going to only use this at the range, then even the stock sights will be fine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The caliber.
It should be in 45acp (with the ability to shoot +P), 10mm, or 357 SIG.
When carrying for duty, I load mine with Norma Monolithic Hollow Points. 1312 FPS, 413 ft/lbs of energy. It expands to 0.9”. Don’t get me wrong, I love my 45 ACP, but 9mm technology has improved by leaps and bounds. To make this 10mm capable, they would have to make it heavier, defeating the purpose of a duty pistol.

·
Super Moderator
2,293 Posts
When carrying for duty, I load mine with Norma Monolithic Hollow Points. 1312 FPS, 413 ft/lbs of energy. It expands to 0.9”. Don’t get me wrong, I love my 45 ACP, but 9mm technology has improved by leaps and bounds. To make this 10mm capable, they would have to make it heavier, defeating the purpose of a duty pistol.
To make it 10mm capable, it would have to be a little bigger for sure. PPQ45 size which is really not that big.

A 10mm PDP might not make the ideal duty pistol but I bet it would have it's fans.

·
Registered
93 Posts
To make it 10mm capable, it would have to be a little bigger for sure. PPQ45 size which is really not that big.

A 10mm PDP might not make the ideal duty pistol but I bet it would have it's fans.
I’m sure that it would. I based my weight statement on a comparison of a Glock 17 to a Glock 40. Same footprint, different calibers. The Glock 40 with a full mag weighs half a pound more, coming in at nearly 40 ounces. I’ve tried carrying guns that weight while on my feet for eight hours. It’s not pleasant.

It is also an issue of capacity. I carry my PDP with a 20 round Canik TP9SFX mag. It is a bit less than one inch beyond the grip. 20 rounds of 10mm, if there was even such a mag, would stick out about two inches.

I know there are 10mm folks out there. More power to them. It just doesn’t fit my philosophy of use.

·
Super Moderator
2,293 Posts
I’m sure that it would. I based my weight statement on a comparison of a Glock 17 to a Glock 40. Same footprint, different calibers. The Glock 40 with a full mag weighs half a pound more, coming in at nearly 40 ounces. I’ve tried carrying guns that weight while on my feet for eight hours. It’s not pleasant.

It is also an issue of capacity. I carry my PDP with a 20 round Canik TP9SFX mag. It is a bit less than one inch beyond the grip. 20 rounds of 10mm, if there was even such a mag, would stick out about two inches.

I know there are 10mm folks out there. More power to them. It just doesn’t fit my philosophy of use.
I understand CavGuy. I don't think 10mm is coming back as an LEO round for the reasons you mentioned and maybe a few more.

It's got some popularity though amongst sportsman and others who spend time outdoors in areas where there are big critters.

Other people just like shooting powerful handguns.

Some people even hunt with them.

I'd love to see Walther be able to play in that niche as an alternative to the Glock 10mms.

I fully admit 10mm is a niche market though and even 45acp is just not as popular as it once was.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree. I was talking to a guy at the range today and showing him my new RIA 1911A2 Tac FS HC in 45. He said he is looking to get the same gun in 10mm. I asked him why that caliber. He explained that he does hiking and camping where he comes across the occasional bear. That makes sense.

All common sense aside, if someone just likes big boomers, that’s totally fine. You don’t always need a reason to do something.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Pdp needs something? For example glock needs sights , maybe trigger, but it has cheap spare parts, accessories and so many companies who make after markets because glock need them........ Pdp need something , like aftermarkets, spare parts ect ect to be better ???
Unpopular opinions outside of some on this board, but I would like paddle magazine release options, and also an "AS" style trigger option with decocker.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Aside from paddles and AS mode, would have been nice to have a PDP in a similar form function like the P99 Compact or PPQ SC.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I’m fond of Walther handguns, particularly the 5” compact models as I find them exceptional in accuracy and as easy to conceal as any compact handgun with added benefits (sight radius/muzzle energy). The trigger on my PPQ 5” target is better than that of my PDP 5” compact but that’s probably because I have thousands of rounds through the PPQ and none as of yet through the PDP. There’s a couple things I would change and this is just personal preference. First, I would want Walther to make the PDP a little less blocky. I understand the deep slide serrations and red dot optimization but I feel this gun is just a tad blockier than it needed to be for them to accomplish this in 9mm. I mean it’s as thick as a 45acp/10mm Glock, and those are notorious for being chunky. Second, the stock sights are just too damn small in my opinion. For this gun to be deemed a duty pistol and to come with those itty bitty dots is almost laughable and those will most certainly be changed out for some night fision optics ready stealth series for Walther in the very near future (I’m ordering them after this post). Third, I don’t like plastic in the slide if it doesn’t need to be there. I’m not fond of the plastic piece in front of the slide where the guild rod goes. Now I know this will most certainly never be an issue and that’s part of the means to how they got the slide to be lighter than that of the PPQ, but I just don’t like it just like I didn’t like the plastic in the slide of the PPQ SC. Lastly, just like the other Walthers (and HK’s for that matter), I feel the slide stop/release is too long and can cause failure to lock open on empty if you are a thumbs forward type shooter. Why these German gun companies find the need for huge slide stop/releases is beyond me, and you see a lot of people that have issues with this. And yes I know it’s a training issue. With that said I think I’m going to be in love with this new pistol and will give a full range report once I get my sights, optic, and mounting plate in.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I mean, if we are talking about dreams here, I agree also on the AS trigger options. A rear mounted decocker like HK uses, as well as smaller slide releases like the P99 without defense kit. Paddles would be icing on the cake.

Maybe I should phrase this differently. A P99AS optic ready with PDP texture.

But sadly, Walther will never do these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 51 Posts