Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Q4 SF
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sure looks like the end of the road for the PPQ. But what of the Q4 and Q5 steel frame models? Are we to expect steel frame PDPs, or are the steel frames not popular enough to continue?

Please speculate. I'm new to Walther and unfamiliar with their history.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Seems like the steel frames were production stop gaps while the PDP was being conceived. From their genesis, they weren't made in high numbers, and because of their cost, I feel like the PDP will overshadow the entire PPQ line.

Considering the class of pistols in the self defence class (Glocks, HKs, Sig P365s,CZs, Staccato C2s), the weight of a Q4 seems to be the biggest detriment here. The mag capacity to size ratio is always going to be beat by something like a Glock 19 or P365, even something heavier like the Staccato C2 or CZ P-10C or even a CZ 2075 RAMI.

Considering other pistols in the same class (particularly entry level 2011s, CZ Shadow 2s and it's clones, Beretta 92XPs, and even Sig P320s), the other pistols are more appealing because of their aftermarket support, the cost of entry, and their modularity in comparison to the Walther Steel frames. If you were a budget concious competitor, the Walther steel frames don't fill that role for what you get. If you were to pull out all the stops, the steel frames still don't offer you much, no matter how much money you decide to throw at it.

While I adore the steel frames, you'll find the market for these pistols is going to be relegated mostly to die-hard Walther guys like us. I have a steel frame of my own, and while I enjoy the worksmanship and shootability, I can't imagine using it in a self defense or competition setting. I'll be pulling out my HK USP instead.

·
Registered
Q4 SF
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not knowing any better, it would appear that the PDP is intended to replace the PPQ line. Maybe not right away, but soon enough. PDPs just seem like better polymer-framed striker-fired pistols.

In the self defense market, especially concealed carry, I just can't see a place for the Q5 in any flavor, nor the steel framed versions of the Q4 or Q5. I see the steel frames as niche competition guns, and very good ones. The Humble Marksman (YouTube) really likes the Q4 SF as a CO gun where the reduced sight radius is not a concern. He finds it returns to zero well, balances well, and is nible in a competition setting.

But I would think that the relatively short grip of the Q4s and Q5s would be a detriment to anyone with larger than medium-sized hands. Not to mention the small 15-round stock magazines. Now, a steel-framed optics-ready PDP...

·
Super Moderator
2,493 Posts
I think the steel frames will stick around for a few years more.

It's a niche gun. I think we will see limited runs of the SF models to cater to that niche but I too doubt it will ever be a huge seller.

Things that might help would be shipping the competition oriented version of the SF with the Dynamic trigger and sear as part of the package.

Use an alloy frame on a carry-oriented version for people who just don't like plastic guns.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think it's quite possible we will see a PDP-style steel frame with the lower optics cut and ability to retain the rear sight with an optic mounted.

If Walther is smart they'll make this backwards compatible with the existing Q4 SF and Q5 SF. Then they can sell us a new slide instead of making us feel like suckers for being adopters of an 'obsolete and discontinued' platform

Regarding self defense... the steel frame line of pistols strike me as being more 'sporting' than 'duty/defense' oriented. Walther's decision to call the Q4 SF a 'concealed carry' firearm is laughable, IMO.

From Walther's website
a premier concealed carry firearm capable of outlasting even the toughest conditions.
I mean I guess it's easier to carry than a Q5 SF ...:unsure:

...but if I was stacking the Q4SF against something like a P365, PPS or even a PDP... I know which one I'd rather carry all day! (Hint: it's not the one that weighs over 2 pounds unloaded)

To wrap it up... the Q4SF weighs almost twice as much as the PDP but doesn't make my shooting twice as good. It's an entirely impractical pistol for carry and the short trigger makes me leery of using it for defensive purposes. I had previously described it as "a pistol searching for a purpose". Using it for optics competition is probably the best use you could find for it.

Of course not everything you buy needs to be practical. For all her downsides, the Q4 SF is one of the prettiest pistols Walther has put out in a long, long time... and it's undoubtedly a hoot to shoot!

·
Registered
Q4 SF
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If Walther is smart they'll make this backwards compatible with the existing Q4 SF and Q5 SF. Then they can sell us a new slide instead of making us feel like suckers for being adopters of an 'obsolete and discontinued' platform
Is protecting past buyers a Walther trait? I would imagine they'd like to sell us on the upgraded pistol, instead.

·
Super Moderator
2,493 Posts
Is protecting past buyers a Walther trait? I would imagine they'd like to sell us on the upgraded pistol, instead.
Maybe look at it this way....if you own an SF, it's not going to wear out anytime soon.

If you buy one, you will probably be able to shoot it for as many years as you want to.

It's not a throw-away pistol and is built very stout for a 9mm.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I bought a Q4SF and I must say that I regret it. I see no point of its hefty weight. It’s not for competition and there are other better choices to carry with much less weight. It’s as heavy as a HK MARK23, which is a much bigger handgun and shoots .45ACP. At the cost of 1200 - 1300, I am not sure why people would want a Q4SF other than die hard Walther lovers for no practical reasons.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Well, they made the PDP slide compatible with the PPQ and P99. I wouldn't call it a Walther 'trait' but there is certainly precedent for it. I presume a PDP-style optics cut slide on a steel frame wouldn't require alterations significant enough to preclude backwards compatibility (although I could end up being wrong on that)

·
Super Moderator
2,493 Posts
I personally wouldn't worry too much about a future upgrade path. It ain't an IPhone.

Load it, point it in a desired direction and pull the trigger. It will reliably launch 9mm projectiles and will probably still be able to 100 years from now.

·
Registered
Q4 SF
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a Q4SF and I must say that I regret it. I see no point of its hefty weight. It’s not for competition and there are other better choices to carry with much less weight. It’s as heavy as a HK MARK23, which is a much bigger handgun and shoots .45ACP. At the cost of 1200 - 1300, I am not sure why people would want a Q4SF other than die hard Walther lovers for no practical reasons.
It is absolutely a niche gun as far as I can see. I'll shoot it in carry optics competition where an RDS negates the sight radius disadvantage and the weight is a benefit to getting off fast second shots.

Having a steel-framed striker-fired pistol as nicely built as the Q4 SF is also cool!

·
Super Moderator
2,493 Posts
I wish Q4/5 steel frames/slides were compatible to PPQ/PDP polymer frames/slides but they are not and I don’t understand why Walther decided that way.
That certainly would improve the modularity of Walther's guns.

Buy a PDP now and upgrade with a compatible steel frame later. Lots of options.

Maybe this is where we will see the product line go.

Makes sense.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts