Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased this gun late fall 2019. Have really enjoyed it and shot it quite a bit. To make a long story short, I had an issue with it and sent it into Walther for repair. They have been great to deal with and have determined my gun can't be fixed and needs to be replaced. No biggie right and kind of nice. Here is the issue.

In MN this gun is considered in violation of the melting pot law. The dealer I bought it from said this is not the case and I bought it there. It is perfectly legal to own the gun, but according to some (Cabelas and other gun shops) it is not legal for them to sell.

Since Walther is sending me a new gun, it has to go through an FFL. Since any of the FFL's that are even close to me say the gun can't be sold in MN, they will not do the transaction for me. Closest dealer who says the gun is legal to sell in MN is over 2.5 hours away. If push comes to shove, I guess I will have to drive up there twice, and back twice. Kind of a headache and an expense as well.

Any other options anyone can think of?

Once again, Walther has been great to work through this with. I called them yesterday to see what can be done but the person I need to speak with is out until Monday.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know what to suggest but Walther lists the PPQ .22 as not available for transfer.

https://waltherarms.com/2019/06/14/firearm-restrictions-by-state/

PPQ .22 Pistol Restriction
Minnesota Not available for transfer M.P.
Yeah, I get that part. Issue is it is not illegal to won this gun in MN, just, according to some, illegal to sell in MN. So now that Walther says my old gun is unfixable and they want to send me a new one, how do I go about this? Can't send it to an out of State FFL as you can't purchase a pistol in a State in which you do not live.

There are more than one place that sell this gun in MN and claim to be able to do so legally. Issue is they are a ways away from me. May be my only option unless I can find a private individual who will do the transfer.

Mark

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, hopefully someone else chimes in that has gone through this. You either make the trip twice, or have Walther substitute another firearm.

Here in CA we have restrictions on what FFLs can sell from dealer inventory controlled by "the Roster". If the handgun is beyond repair and needs to be replaced and it's "off roster", the Manufacturer usually offers a similar "on roster" product.

I would be wary of using a private individual as a 3rd party. Smells like a "straw purchase".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I wouldn’t use a 3rd party as straw purchase. I would use a licensed FFL not associated with a major gun store.

It is so strange. There are gun stores, and big ones, that openly sell this gun in MN. Advertised on their website and everything. It is just unfortunate that the close ones do not sell the gun.

Mark

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry if I'm missing something here, but what's the reason for doing the 2.5 hr trip twice?
If you now have the gun and need to have the FFL return it to Walther, can you ship it to the FFL eliminating one of the trips?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks for the info. I wouldn’t use a 3rd party as straw purchase. I would use a licensed FFL not associated with a major gun store.

It is so strange. There are gun stores, and big ones, that openly sell this gun in MN. Advertised on their website and everything. It is just unfortunate that the close ones do not sell the gun.

Mark
Do a search for other FFLs in your area.

Many are small shops (one in this area is a Hardware store, another does Hydro-dipping, and Gunsmiths as well) that don't advertise. There may be individuals working out of their house too.

EDIT: Illinois has the same stupid rule about zinc cast slides - or whatever. The P22 has a cast slide, but the PPQ does not. I did see the IL list of disallowed pistols and the PPQ .22 was on it. Walther has confirmed that the slide on the PPQ is machined from a solid piece of aluminum and not cast. The PPQ .22 was posted on a Walther company page (in a chart) as "Zinc cast" at one point, but that page has since been removed.

Since it's technically a different firearm I suppose the paperwork is required, but they are not giving you something you didn't already have...

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
As I see it you are not buying the gun so it is not being sold. It is a replacement for a previously legally owned gun. Nothing of mutual value changes hands in that you get the gun and neither Walther or the FFL receives any money foor it. I do not see how that can constitute a sale.

Courts use dictionaries in resolving issues when words need to be considered as to meaning. This is the definition of a sale: the exchange of a commodity for money..

Of course the language of the specific law matter, and I have no idea what it specifically states. But id it does use prohibit the sale or selling of the gun then I think you have a good legal argument that the law does not apply n your case.

You might just call or emailthe MN Attorney General's Office and ask for a clarification. If they acknowledge that it is not a sale, you are can cite that to an FFL near you.

Reactions: blackhillsken

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice.

I finally got it all resolved and have to gun in hand. I was able to work with the FFL who sold me the original gun. They were only 45 minutes away and I only needed to go there to once

To answer some questions. Since the replacement gun was a new serial number it had to go through a FFL. And since this was the only way to get the gun this is what I did. I called Walther who confirmed the gun is not for sale in MN due to the melting point law. I mentioned the part about being a machines aluminum verses a cast part and a hey just said the gun and s were n the do not sell to MN list.

Contact our Attorney General? Not a chance in hell. Keith Ellison, Mr anti gun himself. I’d never get it back.

I do have to call Walther though and see what they can do. The new case is crap and the foam ripped. The original case was bigger and the foam was cut out for the gun to find t in. He original also came with 2 magazines and the replacement is one. I also had to pay a fee of $20 at the FFL for NICS. While I’m not happy about any of the above, Walther has been responsive and helpful and I’m not going to make any demands. Hopefully the can at least send me a magazine.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts