Walther Forums banner

What make/type of ammo do you use for carry?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was curious what most folks are using in your Walther pocket pistols, so I thought I'd do a poll to get a better idea of things. :D
For me it's Extreme Shock Fragmentable Explosive Entry Enhanced Penetration Round(EPR) in .32 auto. Whew!! That's sure a mouthful!!! :D
Please post concerning PP series pistols (PP/PPK/PPKs/PP Super) only since that's the section this poll is posted in. And please DON'T give any reasons for your choice. It just leads to endless debate that changes nobody's choice in ammo. I am just curious about the WHAT, not the WHY.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
489 Posts
Voted JHP for major calibers (.38 Special or 9mm Para or bigger) and
voted FMJ for sub calibers and I use the heaviest weight in a given caliber (because they generally penetrate to the 12" rule of thumb distance); unless there is a problem with reliability or accuracy in a particular gun.

I use that rule of thumb because of the work of people associated with the International Wound Ballistics Association, the Letterman Army Institute of Research (Presidio of San Francisco), and the FBI Academy Firearms Training Unit (Quantico, VA) where they concluded that:
1. The wound tracks observed in standardized ballistic gelatin correlated very highly with the wound tracks observed in experiments done with feral pigs, and that feral pig tissue was a good approximation of human soft tissue.
2. The critical components in physiological wounding are (a) penetration to the vital organs and (b) size of the permanent wound channel. Their tests showed that it takes 7 inches of frontal penetration in a slim adult to reach the major blood vessels in the abdomen, a shot thru the arm generally took 10-12 inches to reach the heart, etc.

Based on that, the FBI and the IWBA adopted the guidance that a bullet should be able to penetrate 12" of ballistic gelatin to simulate reaching the blood-rich vital organs necessary for hemmoragic shock to occur; and I also use that in my selection criteria.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Whoops, forgot to answer the brand part of the question (can't edit for some reason).
9mm, .40, and .45 : Primary -Winchester Ranger T 147 gr., 180 gr., and 230 gr., respectively. If I can't get Ranger, I use the same weight Speer Gold Dot.
.25, .32, and .380: Fiocchi, CCI Blazer, and Speer Lawman FMJs, respectively.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
If you go into the User CP you will see a list to the left that includes "Paid Subscriptions" CLick on that and it'll show you how to be come a supporting member. You also get to have a nifty icon under your name :D
Check the announcement for the membership..... you also will have your name put into the drawing for the prices listed
The $10 is a one time thing... the subscription will not renew by itself
http://www.waltherforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5707

Reactions: Deputy

·
Registered
923 Posts
.40 S&W Federal Hydra Shok, 9mm Federal Hydra shok, and .380 Golden Sabers. I've been tempted to try Winchester Silver Tips.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I only use FMJ with my PPK/S. With the .380 round I want as much penetration as I can get. It's worked great for the military and governments all over the world, no reason it won't work for me. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Interarms PPK/S in .380 using a mixture of 95gr Georgia Arms Gold Dot JHP along with Winchester BEB (brass enclosed base). No hiccups.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like Sellier & Bellot or Remington, my PPK loves both.
Have you tried the Fiocchi FMJ, 95 grs? I purchased several boxes of that and the S&B FMJ, 92 grs. They both seem to be loaded a little hotter than most domestic 380 FMJ ammo. Do you think there is any appreciable difference in the performance of the two?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Winchester Silvertip .380 hollowpoints (I got a close out deal 18 years ago and bought 15 boxes (50 rounds each) for under $5 per box!

I have Cor-Bon .380's and they function tested well in my PPK but I haven't gotten around to putting them in the mags. I still have the Silvertips in the magazines.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Winchester Silvertip .380 hollowpoints (I got a close out deal 18 years ago and bought 15 boxes (50 rounds each) for under $5 per box!

I have Cor-Bon .380's and they function tested well in my PPK but I haven't gotten around to putting them in the mags. I still have the Silvertips in the magazines.
LOL...it took you long enough to post!!! :D :D
Thanks for the input.

Dep

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
729 Posts
12 hour shift midnights puts me out of the loop for a couple days at a time. Drive to work, work, drive home, try to sleep, get up, drive to work, work, drive home, try to sleep. Ugh. Wake up...go on Walther Forum! Yeah!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts