Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the heavy stuff, I carry the Winchester 9mm 147 Talon round. In 40 I like the 180 Talons. Also, hows the P-99's holding up with +P+ ammo anyone have any data?

·
Registered
229 Posts
In 9mm, I like:

Winchester Ranger "T" series 127 gr. +P+ (RA9TA).

In .40 Auto, I like:

Remington (full power) 165 gr. Golden Sabers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My P99 .40 gets loaded with Federal 165g Hydra Shok. I've been contemplating buying a couple hundred rounds of Speer Gold Dot so that I can reliability test it and make it my new SD ammo. But I've had great success so far with the Hydra Shok.

For the range I've been using either Winchester white box 165 FMJ, or PMC 165g FMJ.

--Ben

·
Registered
18 Posts
Venom600,

Have you noticed that the PMC has an unusual amount of muzzle flash?

The first time I fired a box of it I was at an indoor range and it caught me off guard. Not malfunctions though. Those loads reminded me of a frickin' 80's movie...

·
Registered
101 Posts
SweatyMex,
I HAVE noticed additional muzzle flash with the PMC ammo, even though I generally shoot outdoors. Also, the Win white box is usually pretty dirty, but both brands are cheap to shoot and have been reliable so far.

If I could find a 165g practice ammo that was as cheap as PMC and Win white box, I'd probably give it a good try. I know you can buy reloads relatively cheaply from several different vendors, but I've been trying to buy brand new ammo and saving the brass so that I can start loading my own.

--Ben

·
Registered
555 Posts
I use Ranger SXT 147gr for home/self defense (RA9SXT), which is the infamous BlackTalon, but without the nickel plated case, sold in boxes of 50 to LEO.  Anyone who comes across one of these is gonna have a real bad day.

http://www.gothammarketing.com/rck/ballistics.htm

For practice, whatever is on sale.

·
Registered
411 Posts
For business....... Speer 124gr. GDHP+p
For pleasure....... Winchester 115 fmj

·
Registered
101 Posts
SweatyMex,
Have you had a chance to shoot any of that Georgia Arms canned ammo yet? I want to buy 1000 rounds of it for range use. I wanted to make sure your P99 was eating it all OK.

Also, I went and bought a box of that UMC ammo at Walmart to test out. One of the rounds that came in the box had a deformed case. Luckily I noticed while I was loading up my mags, otherwise I'd have probably had my first ever P99 malfunction. I'll borrow my friends digital camera, take a pic of it and post it back here.

--Ben

·
Registered
81 Posts

Sort of off topic, but, I went to the range today on this rainy NE Sunday with a box of Remington 155 hollows that Customs Service carries, a box of Remington 180 hollows and a box of Winchester stx 180's, hoping to find which "groups" better.  My target was the FBI 50 footer placed at 20 yards.
 Now I'm new to the Walther, always was a Sig man,  but after only 500 rounds to date out of my P99 without a hitch, I've switched.  This Walther is amazing!!! I have Meps on the gun for sights.
 To my amazement, they all shot to about the same POA/POI, but the Winchester SXT's held the best pattern/group.
 I did find however, that the Rem. 150's have a noticably(sp) louder report and a much larger flash.

If I has able to indeed carry in NJ, it would be the STX's [ also read the previous Ballistic report]. Here is the resulting target.

Thanks for looking!!!
Chris~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts