Walther Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (David S @ April 23 2003,7:12)]hmmmmmmmmmm i just glanced............i give up, you tell me............wahts up with it?
This one is probably over your head David. Let's give some of the older members a chance to reply.

Nice hat by the way.

·
Registered
382 Posts
well thanks for the cutdown Lime, but ill guess it has something to do with the serial number.....

Or

dont prewar PP series have 90 degree safeties?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kudos David, see what happens when you don't just give up.

The 866XXX serial number is too old for the 60 degree safety, notice how the right slide of the slide seems to be polished (ground) and maybe reblued? Almost like there was a serial number on it that has disappeared, looks like the crown/N has almost been ground off too.

The frame and slide are therefore from different weapons, and the guy is asking good money for it.

BTW, I do like your hat, got one very similar (but I only wear it outside).

·
Registered
382 Posts
hahahhaha, see there, never underestimate the power of a young one!

the hat, well this is literally my adventurer hat. I bought it in San Diego zoo, its been with me to Germany, and all over Scotland..........this is my equivalant of Indiana Jones' Fedora............not in style i mean, but just that its been EVERYWHERE with me........it goes on all my adventures......

by the way, dont you have a few PPKs for sale? hehehe maybe one to give away as a prize?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guess I was wrong (or under-estimating) again, my hat must be exactly the same, as I too purchased it at the San Diego Zoo, this is too FN wierd.

No I don't have any PPK's for sale. Oeschler does and, from what I have observed over the past couple of years, he understands that he is ripping some unsuspecting buyer off. This is very under handed IMHO, and a warning for the uninformed "Knowledge is Power".

Couldn't edit the post to add pic, and still haven't figured out how to delete a post.

Notice the Extra Large size, and that aint 'cause I have a lot of hair.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
According to Dieter Marschall the 60 degree safety started at 855000. Well within that range for this pistol.

In addition, serial numbers were not roll marked on the slides until 1941 with the fifth variation. Because the slide is marked with a crown over N it is a pre- April 1940 slide which would not bear a serial number in the first place.

Slide and frame wear appear even reletive to both. It's possible there may have been a spot of surface rust someone tried to remove in the past, or it could be holster wear.

However, grip wear does not match wear on the rest of the pistol. I suspect they may have been replaced with period grips. Crack not withstanding.

A little more research before making assumptions are in order I believe.

·
Registered
382 Posts
well Lime, i see we have two things in common...........that is VERY weird. considering i live in freakin ALABAMA! what are the chances of me randoml purchasing this hat........i bought it about 4 or 5 years ago too..........so its by no means new...........here i am perplexed with my size Large hat..........i removed that annoying leather thong years ago.........just got in the way.......

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
nice hats guys........

but back to the topic at hand, I have to agree with Herr Walther on this one. I suspect that the PPK is legit, however those grips aren't fitting correctly. It would be nice to have more pictures or inspect the gun personally, but I don't think we've got any mismatched parts here.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Herr Walther,
If you glance at the picture of the 230XXXk serial numbered PPK in one of the threads below you will note that it is a pre April 1940 weapon, it also has the serial number on the slide - which then disputes your second statement.

Your first statement please clarify. Are you (or Mr. Marschall) saying that they produced 60 and 90 degree safety model pistols consecutively for a couple of years (before phasing out the 90 degree models)?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (limeyinaz @ April 24 2003,9:15)]Herr Walther,
If you glance at the picture of the 230XXXk serial numbered PPK in one of the threads below you will note that it is a pre April 1940 weapon, it also has the serial number on the slide - which then disputes your second statement.

Your first statement please clarify. Are you (or Mr. Marschall) saying that they produced 60 and 90 degree safety model pistols consecutively for a couple of years (before phasing out the 90 degree models)?
It is possible that your slide was not mated to a frame until after 1941, which according to Marschall is when serial numbering began for slides. It's also possible that your slide was proofed and then stored or was otherwise "on the shelf" until this time when it was used for a frame and then serial numbered for it's frame.

It could have been sent to Walther for repair after the sale and they decided to roll mark the serial number for the customer. Your PPK is a pre-Wehrmacht delivery by about 40K pistols.

It's also possible Dieter Marschall was not seen an example of one this early with the serial number roll marked onto the slide.

No. I'm saying that the pistol for sale is 11,185 PPK's past the range that the 60 degree safety started to be incorporated into the design. Why is there any question about the safety?

Not every collector or author has seen every PP and PPK in collections or circulation. There may be variances to what is published.

I believe the PPK that is for sale to be legitimate, though I still wonder about the grip wear not matching the rest of the pistol.

You should e-mail Dieter Marschall and inform him of what you have. I'm sure he would be very interested and he will reply. As collectors, we need this information to further the hobby.

He replied to me the other day about my Danish contract PP with the replacement slide. 1500 made and he confirmed my research.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have an e-mail address for Mr. Marschall I shall send him some pics and questions, then add any response to this thread.

I am personally aware of PPKs in the 900XXX+ serial number range with the 90 degree safety, and have never personally seen a 60 degree safety on a PPK without a 'k' suffix.

Many questions, less answers.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
His address is at home. Here is is forum profile. You can e-mail him from here.

Dieter's Profile

1 - 16 of 16 Posts