·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
When my P99 is assembled and the slide is at rest the button of the recoil guide rod sticks out about 1/16 of an inch.

If I remove the slide from the frame it does not stick out.

Also the recoil spring guide is all bent. However it straightens out as soon as you remove it from the barrel lug.
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=79040&stc=1&d=1540753702

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=79042&stc=1&d=1540753702

There appears to be a crack in the guide rod that I do not see on mine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Broken guide rod.

That "crack" should not be there.
I concede this point. So... Where do I get a guide rod and spring.

I have seen some like the BT guide rods. I also could try ordering one from Earl's. Any other suggestions?

I guess I will just order a BT. Looks like it should work and not cause any problems in the near future.

·
Premium Member
13,814 Posts
What happens when you remove the rsa from the pistol?

As for as replacing your rsa, why not give Walther a call and see what they think about that broken guide rod. You might be pleasantly surprised.

If you just want to replace it with an after market assembly, there are quite a few available.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
What happens when you remove the rsa from the pistol?

As for as replacing your rsa, why not give Walther a call and see what they think about that broken guide rod. You might be pleasantly surprised.

If you just want to replace it with an after market assembly, there are quite a few available.

I second calling Walther - doesn't cost anything and you might be surprised at their response. I have an after market guiderod in my P99 and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
If you decide to go with an aftermarket RSA, I've got a DPM in my PPS 9 and am very pleased with it. I don't care one way or the other about the recoil mitigation (it's a 9mm, after all!) but it's well made and will likely last as long as the pistol does, barring me losing the the bushing that fits into the slide end (the new versions have eliminated this piece :) )

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Called Walther at number provided.

They offered to replace it for free. I do have to send the defective part in. They would not just mail me a new one. Which kind of makes sense.

Within minutes I received a RMA form in my email.

Super nice people and very helpful.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Good to hear the issue is resolved.

I went with the SS Guide Rods part in my Q45. Made it possible to swap springs, have a Wilson Combat 20lb spring in the Q now, shoots so nice.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Great! I like steel in my guide rods. Glad Walther backed up the warranty.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
There is nothing wrong with that guide rod.

That is a 1st generation P99 pistol, that came with the RSA with the black end cap. These early recoil spring assemblies always stuck out further than the later blue end cap model. That "crack" is not a crack, but a gap between the end cap and the guide rod itself. Mine had that too. That being said, I believe the change to the blue end cap RSA was made over a decade ago, so looking for a replacement wouldn't be a bad idea anyway, especially if the pistol was purchased used.

I am curious though, what is the date-code of that pistol? I wasn't aware that there was a year where they made a roll marked "P99" with a laser etched "Walther" logo on the slide.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
There is nothing wrong with that guide rod.

That is a 1st generation P99 pistol, that came with the RSA with the black end cap. These early recoil spring assemblies always stuck out further than the later blue end cap model. That "crack" is not a crack, but a gap between the end cap and the guide rod itself. Mine had that too. That being said, I believe the change to the blue end cap RSA was made over a decade ago, so looking for a replacement wouldn't be a bad idea anyway, especially if the pistol was purchased used.

I am curious though, what is the date-code of that pistol? I wasn't aware that there was a year where they made a roll marked "P99" with a laser etched "Walther" logo on the slide.

Not that I disbelieve you but I'd sure like to see another like that - of course I have two newer 99s to compare to and it looked broken to me.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Mine looked worse than that, and mine looked well used when I purchased it. I no longer have the pistol available to take a picture of it, but hopefully someone else with a 1st Gen P99 with the original guide rod does.

On a defensive pistol, the guide rod sticking out further would actually be a benefit in regards to firing the pistol if it was pressed against a hard surface, but the change to the blue end cap RSA shortened the guide rod a bit, and I believe the newer RSA had a different amount of coils on the recoil spring itself, to the tune of two or three if I'm remembering correctly.

I'm not sure why the change was made to the RSA.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'll grab my Gen 1 tonight and see. its got the original rod in it from 2001. I bought it used but looked like itd never been shot, so odds are its whatever was in there new. Putting a "new style" blue end rod in it made it FTF pretty consistently. I was intending to break in the new style so that when i wanted to replace the OEM one or it broke, it'd be ready to go. Great failure drills.

Also, mine sticks out the end a bit too. Not as far as yours. Will update.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My 2001 Gen 1 has the exact same gap in the guide rod. Doesnt stick out quite as far. Easily 6K rounds on it, no issues. I thought I took pics but i think my smartphone outsmarted me and didnt save them.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Not that I disbelieve you but I'd sure like to see another like that - of course I have two newer 99s to compare to and it looked broken to me.
My P99 original guide rod looked similar, and I decided to replace it with an aftermarket (Springco) rod as well. The deformation only occurs while the slide is off the frame; the guide rod is fully braced at the end otherwise. I don't think the replacement was entirely necessary, but the "bend" bugged me enough to do it.

Attachments

Reactions: Redcat94

·
Registered
29 Posts
I concede this point. So... Where do I get a guide rod and spring.

I have seen some like the BT guide rods. I also could try ordering one from Earl's. Any other suggestions?

I guess I will just order a BT. Looks like it should work and not cause any problems in the near future.
I bought the BT metal guide rod and spring and I cannot tell the difference between it and the factory when firing the pistol with any kind of ammo. I have been very pleased to the point that I have left it installed permanently. You need a new guide rod and spring assembly and it is either get one from the factory or go aftermarket. Based on my experience, I can recommend the BT guide rod assembly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts