Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my LGU from Airguns of Arizona for $389 * ship. My question is, is grease (like Air Venturi moly grease) sufficient for the seal, or is there something else a better piston seal lube?

Here's why i'm confused. i have been watching YT videos where people take apart and tune their guns. One guy used the moly airgun grease on piston, seal and everything. Another guy just rubbed, what must have been moly powder (the video was in German which I don't speak) and nothing but moly powder, all over the piston and the seal. And like a lot of people I used to use chamber oil too..but to further muddy the issue, I looked at the late Charlie Da tuna's site where he strongly recommends against, using ANY chamber lube oil (because of the dieseling).

Is moly grease good enough for the piston seal too? And would air venturi grease be good for all of the above including the spring? I did search the site but there's not a huge amount of posts on this, if anyone can tell me what products I should, or can use I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
can't answer your question completely, but moly is a lot like graphite- it's a dry lubricant and will not burn (or diesel ) it's good for high velocity lubrication ( I've seen it used on bullets before to improve consistency). The down side is it will not last as long as a liquid would so needs to be applied often. Hope that helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
But do you, or would you use the powder all by itself or do you think grease is better? I have seen people do this in the videos, just straight moly powder on all of it. Even the piston seal. Seems to me though the powder would blow out or fall off in no time, not sure how much "burnishing" would hold it on the metal? but i don't really know I was wondering what other people think. Also would using moly grease on the piston do more good or harm, long term? The only thing i know for sure is, to never use graphite because of galling, moly powder though is different how?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry, that's getting beyond my knowledge. but I think galling is only a problem in stainless to stainless steel, but could wrong. (I had a stainless Browning BT100 and moly powder and moly grease was my choice for that)

again only my opinion, but just spray on the dry moly and exercise the mechanism a few time to 'burnish it to the surface. how often? your guess

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you one and all for replying! I hope more people will weigh in as this question seems to getasked over and over. I think i'll take the helpful info, try just moly grease on the piston and seal, with a yearly regrease before it dries out...and stop the chamber lube oil altogether. i ordered some Napier VP90 grease from England, not sure what's in it but i might try that as well...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts