Walther Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting a cheap brick of American Eagle brand hollow point .22LR. I shot about 200 rounds in the week from the gun but not with 75 percent of them getting stuck or halfway ejecting. I picked out 10 bullets that looked to be the cleanest and most perfect rounds in the brick and shot them through the gun without an issue. My question is, What brand of bullets shoot the best with the least amount of ejection problems? Its a fun gun when its not in need of recocking after each round. I'm looking for something I can buy in bulk as well. Federal target rounds?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is my experience.

CCI MiniMags - They cycle perfectly and most people report the same experience. These dont satisfy your bulk criteria though.

Federal AutoMatch 325 round count box - I have been through three boxs of this and I am starting on my fourth. I have not had ANY type of failure whatsoever. I know Federal makes several different bulk packs but the one I use says "AutoMatch" and it is listed as "Federal AutoMatch Target Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Lead Round Nose" I never hear anyone mention this ammo on P22 forums but for me, they are great.

lima-charlie

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Pele,

So far so good with the brick of PMC Scoremaster standard velocity 40gr solid lead. 200 rounds without any problems.:D
I bought a box of 525 Remington high velocity brass-plated hollow-points. Only 25 rounds of that so far so too early to tell.:confused:
Forget about sub-sonic ammo; it won't cycle the action reliably.:rolleyes:

Happy shooting,:cool:

Russell

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought Remington Thunderbolt .22LR at walmart for cheap. These have shot 200 rounds without a glitch.....finally something that works in this gun. I love it now that I can shoot it smoothly. I use it as a target/snake gun when i fish/selfdefense when i ride my dirtbike

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought Remington Thunderbolt .22LR at walmart for cheap. These have shot 200 rounds without a glitch.....finally something that works in this gun. I love it now that I can shoot it smoothly. I use it as a target/snake gun when i fish/selfdefense when i ride my dirtbike
Careful! I won't shoot the Remington stuff simply because it has a bad habit of being over sized and jamming in bores.

Ive had the Thunderbolts stick in the bore of my Remington 22 bolt action, and my Ruger 22 semi auto.

If you're going to own that nice of a 22 pistol, feed it some good stuff - CCI of course! :eek:

Last, I know the 22 round doesn't have knockdown power, but the CCI Stinger has close to 200ftlb of energy @ almost 1700fps!

I doubt the thunderbolt comes any where close....

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know about the best ammo but ours will not cycle using Federal Lightnings. Unfortunately I brought a brick to the range tonight so my wife could try out her new P22. Stovepipe city.:mad: Luckily I haven't cleaned out my shooting box in a couple of decades and there were enough loose rounds in the bottom that she could shoot for an hour or so. I found a box of Eley Standard that not only cycled the action but also put on a heck of a light show with all of the sparks and flame. (we were on an indoor range with the lights off on our end). -Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a brick of Fiocchi standard at the local gun show to try out today and there were mixed results. The first couple of mags shot well then the problems started. The action would cycle enough to eject the spent cartridge but not enough to feed a new one into the chamber much like the Federal Lightnings. Before we left the house I threw a partial brick of Remington hollow points into my shooting box and lucky for us, they shot fine through the P22.

So far my wife's biggest complaint is that the shell casings all come straight back and hit her upon ejecting. She got burned today when one case went down the front of her shirt.:eek:

My indoor range gun is an old High Standard Tournament model with an Aimpoint 2000 sight and it is extremely finicky about the ammo it will feed. It will not feed the Remingtons but it likes both the fiocchi and the lightnings. For outdoor shooting I replace the pistol barrel with a stocked rifle barrel with a 3-9X scope mounted on it. -Mike

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Some place here, AR15.com (Walthersection) or Rimfire central is a post how to fix the ejector so the casings won't fly in her or your face anymore.....
I am not following the P22 too much, but I know besides the mentioned post, there is a pic out there on the net someplace that shows you the mods to fix this problem.....

goood luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Uncut,

Thanks for the suggestion to try the Walther forum at the AR15 site.:cool: I started hanging out there several weeks ago but never even noticed the handgun forum. I printed out a couple of diagrams and the list of "repairs" from the thread titled "How do I make my p22 not s#!k". The repairs addressed everything except for the horribly long trigger creep. Maybe I can find somthing on that too if I dig deep enough. -Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
The last thousand or so have been CCI MiniMags, without a problem....none at all.

The first thousand or so were Remington Golden Bullets from the 550 bulk pack. Several FTFs and the last FTE is what sent me to CCI. I probably have 50-75 rounds left in that box, but have no interest in shooting them.

I thought about giving the Federal bulk pack a try, but it's hard to go away from something so reliable. The MiniMags are a bit pricier than the bulk stuff, but still a lot cheaper than 9mm and .223 these days.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Has anyone tried Winchester XPert .22 in their P22? A box of 500 costs $13.97 at Gander Mountain. My Ruger and Colt .22s perform very well with this round, and with the price of all ammo going up, even 100 count MiniMags - $6.99/100 rounds at GM, XPert is one of the best deals around.

Thanks,
Benny

·
Registered
115 Posts
Should have searched before posting this, sorry about that; found that that there have been both good experiences and bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts