Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
Umarex owns Walther now, they are headquartered in Arnsberg, Germany. It is a German made PPK/S in .22 manufactured there. A quick giveaway is the P22 style rear chamber showing through the ejection port. They come in that black finish and a sort of stainless finish. The slide and frame are cast zinc...same as a P22. It is a pretty good copy of a PPK/S even internally but mags and parts won't swap with the steel pistols. If you remove the slide you will see a barrel nut, barrel sleeve with the barrel sliding through the upper frame boss. The breech block is pinned in. Originals are machined steel and part of the slide. One good thing is with that method of barrel attachment...the muzzle end is threaded. Ready for a thread adapter so you can screw on a suppressor. Removing the grips will show a lot of metal beneath to give the pistol the heft it needs to feel like a steel pistol. I've shot one...didn't have any problems with it. Like all short barrel semi auto .22s it will benefit from snappy ammo. CCI Mini Mags for example. They are imported and distributed by Walther's factory in Ft Smith, Arkansas. Sure wish they had made the mags work with the old pistols. Mags for those are scarce and go for $75 to $150 each. Arnsberg makes that pistol, the P22, the CCP and the PK 380. Ulm produces the P99, PPQ, PPS. Exactly how all the various parts ride down the assembly line I don't know. I do remember it has a killer DA pull....somewhere around two tons. 1917

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
Also, if you look at the top of the page you will see a section specifically for this pistol. It is under the FAQ threads. 1917

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 1917! I did not have a clue where it came from. I have heard of Umarex but did not know of production of this pistol. As always your help is greatly appreciated. DT

·
Premium Member
8,637 Posts
Actually most of the weapon is made of a zinc alloy. Folks either love the weapon or hate it.
I have one sitting in its box from the first batch imported to the USA which I bought as a trainer for my wife. With its 22+ lb da trigger, poor construction plus numerous failures to fire with quality ammo it was useless as a trainer. I dislike it so much I won't even sell it as I could do that to another person.

Again some folks love the Arnsberg Umarex PPK/S and are staunch defenders of the toy. Use a few boxes of quality ammo and make your own decision. At least it doesn't have that godawful beavertail.
Here is an image of the Umarex PPK/S exploded(top) and a Walther PP(bottom)

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
Well that's too bad....I'd give you $50 for it just to have something to play with. I've always wondered if I could give the trigger more leverage. I'd only shoot one in SA mostly anyway. Still want a cheap CCP. Umarex brought all of this on themselves although......they have sold a lot of their Umarex pistols...problems or not. BIL bought one, I shot it 50 times with no issue. He didn't even have any ammo and this was during the period when you couldn't find any. Gave him 500 rounds, bet he still has 500 or those rounds still in the box. He thought he had a real old school PPK/S. He also had bought a top of the line Sig in 9mm. About a $1,200 pistol. I forget which one, same one special forces use..It was a sweet shooter.. He didn't have any ammo for that one either. He only got a box of 50. Bet he still has those two.

Asked him why he bought the pistols. I want a pistol to give to each grandson when I die. Said, well one of em is going to be really happy and the other one is going to say, I got screwed. They sort of came close with the mags but they used the larger P22 dimensions and spline construction method. 1917

1 - 7 of 7 Posts