Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any history as to the development of the PPS. For example, was it a tendered contract for a certain mil-pol agency, like the German pistol trials and the P99, HK P2000 etc.? Reason I ask is I curious if others have developed a similar small/slim CCW piece. Thanks for the insight.:)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I don't know, but history of the Walther company leads me to believe there must be a German police agency wanting a more compact 9mm and they are trying to fill that nich, and then they market it heavily to the American public incase they don't get any large contracts for it.

If anyone know the answer, it's an interesting question.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My opinion is that the pistol was developed for the lucrative North American market. This is a pistol designed for concealed carry, and the United States is, unless I am very mistaken, the largest single market for legal CCW in the world.
There may very well be some European police agency who was aking about such a pistol, but I don't think so.

I'm probably going to buy a PPS as soon as I find a non-First Edition piece, which looks like crap IMO.
Normally, I won't buy a firearm that hasn't been out for quite some time, so that the bugs can be worked out by the manufacturer. I'm going to make an exception in this instance. Just a feeling. And after all, it is a Walther.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Para, I am with you. This is "the" gun I have been hoping for. Glock wouldn't do it, but I think this thing is going to sell very well, and I hope the other big names respond in like.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
The PPS will not be for the German police....
some research and asking around will make that clear.
The "TR" or technical guiadance for police pistols does not allow any issued pistol to have a precocked or partially precocked hammer/striker. The 'new" TR is currently met only by the P99, P2000 and P30 as far as I know.
Now this does not mean that the PPS will not be used by special units.

Again as mentioned before.... the PPS was designed around the BATF regs for US importation..... minimum of 4 high and 6 long......and directed towards the US market as a light/small single stack ....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts