Walther Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I purchased a P99 AS sometime last year. Recently I have noticed that Smith and Wesson has come out with the M&P to compete with the Glock, and there are mixed feelings about this firearm, mainly being with reliability. From what it seems, the M&P looks like a inferior copy of the P99.

From what I have seen, the P99 has been reliable, with a ambidextrous mag release, and adjustable back straps. Why doesn't this firearm get the attention the M&P seems to be receiving?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Why doesn't this firearm get the attention the M&P seems to be receiving?
1. Walther does not focus on marketing in the US, plain and simple. They are more interested in the Euro market.

2. SW isn't going to push Walther since SW is looking to regain the US market from Glock. However due to their strategic alliance with Walther anything that Walther does sell here in the US, SW will naturally get a taste.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Sorry - I disagree - There are TONS of guns/brands now with replaceble backstraps. And, look at several of the HK products - same type of mag release.

That's just where the design is going.

Now, admittedly, the P99 was the first gin with the replacable backstraps. But, the USP had the ambi mag release before the P99 did.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is the real problem. I saw this in another industry that I was involved in for years and it only gets worse.

Too Many Products. Too Many of the exact same features on all of these different products. I was always taught that if I wanted something good that would last, spend the money and buy the best!

Well Walther, H&K, SIG, S&W - all offer the best (At least with a portion of their line). So it's always hard to decide..

I have used and own several P7's, They are great and Work. I have been looking at the S&W990L Compact to replace the P7 for carry. It's cheaper and it looks like a nice weapon. I have an AS trigger and the things is GREAT!

So what to do.... I know the P7's go up in value - but with most other modern firearms - like Sig and S&W - this does not seem to be the case in general. We have CPO's and Police trade in's that IMO kill the ollectors market..

A little off thread.. Sorry..

But I believe the SW / Walther P99 AS are great weapons..

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
The P7 is in a different world of firearms.....
but just watch the prices won't keep going like they are right now for too long... they will max out sooner or later (not including the M13 and M10) and then we will get all the Bavarian refurbs when they are looking for a new sidearm. They might not come at $600 like the refurbs before but not at $1500 neither....
As to what Shiwreck said...
The USP ambi mag release might have been first but IMHO it sucks big time...
it's too short and under the triggerguard.... not a good combo in my eyes...
now the P30 will change Walther's edge in ergo grip I think... those interchangeable sidepannels are a good idea and they fixed what was broken on the USP/P2000 grip which has 0 ergo factor .....
Don't get me wrong the USP line and the P2000 line are great guns but Walther has the better mag release than H&K....

·
Registered
100 Posts
The P7 is in a different world of firearms.....
but just watch the prices won't keep going like they are right now for too long... they will max out sooner or later (not including the M13 and M10) and then we will get all the Bavarian refurbs when they are looking for a new sidearm. They might not come at $600 like the refurbs before but not at $1500 neither........
I hope they do - I would like a couple of shooters that I don't need to worry about..

The USP ambi mag release might have been first but IMHO it sucks big time...
it's too short and under the triggerguard.... not a good combo in my eyes...
now the P30 will change Walther's edge in ergo grip I think... those interchangeable sidepannels are a good idea and they fixed what was broken on the USP/P2000 grip which has 0 ergo factor .....
Don't get me wrong the USP line and the P2000 line are great guns but Walther has the better mag release than H&K....
I agree with the mag release, it is better on the P99!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts