Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What happened to the 16 round mags for the P99? Is there a story as to why walther quit making them? SW still makes 16rd mags for the sw99 so I'm rather curious.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Heard that the extra round stressed the spring too much - the mags became unreliable after a while - so, they have backed off 1 round. It is my understanding that the S&W ones are going to 15 rds too - maybe the ones still around are old stock?

·
Registered
8 Posts
My personal experience with 16 round magazines was that it was very difficult to get the fully-loaded magazine to seat/latch in place with the slide closed.      

I still have a bunch of 16-rounders.  I would use them as backup magazines only they were downloaded by 1 (making them de facto 15-rounders).  If I would use one for carry (ie, if I would use one as the magazine used for initial loading of the gun), I would lock the magaine in place with the slide open, then retract the slide a little ways and let it slam home (1 up the pipe, and 15 rounds in the magazine).  I would not bother attempting to change the 15+1 to a 16+1, since it is iffy whether you could get the magazine in place again.  Sixteen rounds of state-of-the-art JHPs until slide lock is pretty good, and in an age when criminals, thugs and malandros attack in groups, there is a strong case for more = better.

·
Registered
333 Posts
yerasimos Posted on July 03 2006,5:08
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My personal experience with 16 round magazines was that it was very difficult to get the fully-loaded magazine to seat/latch in place with the slide closed.
=========================================

Actually, this was the reason I heard..........that convinced Walther to down-size their Mags. Have to take into account women trying to load these weapons and the fully loaded 16 rd'ers were just too difficult to load with any speed.

JF.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Well, mine work find w/ 16 - but after I heard of the spring issues, I only keep them loaded at 15 unless I am at the range.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I spoke to Earl quite a while ago about the change from 16 to 15 round magazines. The official word from Walther is that the 16 round configuration was discontinued due to excessive spring pressure when mag is loaded to fullest capacity. To err on the side of caution, I always load my mags one or two rounds less.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting....I'll be eager to see if s&w does maky any changes themselves. Not to say I dont trust earl, but well I don't really trust earl completely

·
Registered
280 Posts
This really doesn't matter if you insert the mag with the slide locked back.

·
Registered
109 Posts
And whatever you do, do NOT buy the 32 round mags advertised out there as compatible with the P99. I rather you put $20 in an envelope and send it to me, as it will do you as much good as buying one of those...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts