Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have PPKs made in Germany, imported by Interarms and made by Smith and Wesson. I guess I look a bit uninformed here, but can someone tell me just what is a Ranger PPk? Thanks in advance for your help.

Registered
From the FAQ: PP/TP

Super Moderator
Good link and thanks, Redcat.
Welcome aboard, Cliff...your question answered? :)
Moon

Reactions: Redcat94

Registered
As I just posted elsewhere, the Ranger pistols are quite good, and they are well worth owning. Plus, they are typically available at a nice discount to the Walther or Manurhin pistols. To date, I have owned a Ranger PPK in .380 and a PPK/S in .32, and both ran like a top.

Reactions: halfmoonclip

Super Moderator
My long-ago .380 Ranger was fussy with hollowpoints and reloads; the current one runs just fine on ball. The .32 Rangers have always run just fine.
Do I recall the Ranger guns being built to Walther spec, and the changes (mostly to facilitate HPs, plus the tang) beginning with S&W?
The Rangers (especially, but not only the .32s) have been climbing in value.
Moon

Reactions: GeoNole94

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
OK thanks. Sounds like made by Ranger for Interarms. My Interarms was imported from Germany. Maybe better than made here. Anyway, thanks for the information and I would buy a Ranger especially in .32 as that is what I like.

Registered
I have a Ranger/Interarms PPK blued in .380. There are no Ranger markings on the gun, only Interarms. Interarms never manufactured the gun. It was subcontracted to Ranger. Interarms was the importer for Walther so it was logical for them to get licensing rights to manufacture the PPK in the US. The PPK could no longer be imported due to gun laws in the US. I was able to find one in nearly mint condition, probably made in the 1980s. It took a little breaking in, a few magazines. My guess is that it was never fired that much. So far it's been working flawlessly including hollow points. It's definitely snappy with .380, more than the Ft, Smith PPK/S.

I would have prefered a German manufacture but I was able to find a US made for less than half the price of a German PPK. Plus, I wasn't interested in a safe queen. I wanted to enjoy using it.

Registered
I've got two Ranger PP guns, a K and a fairly early Ranger /S and a W German (1968) PPK. Honestly, while I know it's conventional to say the German/French guns are better made, I can't see a difference. All shoot well and function flawlessly with hardball, which is all I shoot in them. I did qualify with the /S at a LEO school as a personal weapon, can't remember the ammo, but it did fine. Won a bet with the rangemaster who bet me a case of beer that the gun would jam.

Registered
Honestly, while I know it's conventional to say the German/French guns are better made, I can't see a difference.
The polishing on my blued Interarms PPK isn't as nice as as my German and French pistols but it's really close. I'd be happy to ad some more Interarms to my collection.

Won a bet with the rangemaster who bet me a case of beer that the gun would jam.
That's awesome ! I hope you were able to collect.

Registered
Yep collected. It was a reduced-light indoor shoot and the sights on the PPK did it for me. Most everyone else was shooting Model 19s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts