Walther Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
On the semantics of the German adjectives "schmal" and "schlank": "schmal" is mainly used for things or local events, "schlank" is used on people.

·
Super Moderator
14,809 Posts
Okay....I think I've got it. Since I'm 'people' I must be schlank (slim) but sometimes Schmal minded. The creek running thru the back yard is also Schmal (narrow). And the PPS, well, its slim (schlank), but the notch in the rear sight is Schmal. And the hair on my head is neither Schmal or Schlank....its thin, or some might say, non-existent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As long as there are no
I wouldn't be surprised if Walther had actually once used the wrong term "Police Pistol Short" by mistake. Walther is famous for its weapons, of course, and equally infamous for their sometimes hair-raising publications and the countless errors on their website.
As long as there are no errors with their manufacturing of weapons.
On the semantics of the German adjectives "schmal" and "schlank": "schmal" is mainly used for things or local events, "schlank" is used on people.
Interessant.
Okay....I think I've got it. Since I'm 'people' I must be schlank (slim) but sometimes Schmal minded. The creek running thru the back yard is also Schmal (narrow). And the PPS, well, its slim (schlank), but the notch in the rear sight is Schmal. And the hair on my head is neither Schmal or Schlank....its thin, or some might say, non-existent.
And you're schmal-minded.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Correct. And as always, the exceptions confirm the rule. :p

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Absolutely right. By the way, to the best of my knowledge, the German language doesn't even have expressions for words like "faulty design" or "recall". :p
Well they have a word that means both committee and rejected product.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well then let's take it to the extreme. :p
The German name for the PPS has to be "Polizei Pistole Schmal", "Polizei Pistole Schlank" would sound rather strange to German ears.
But since the English word slim can apparently be used both for people and for things, PPS is translated in English as Police Pistol Slim.
But if you would translate literally according to German semantics, you would have to translate "Polizei Pistole Schmal" with Police Pistol Narrow, and you would have a German PPS and an English PPN.😄

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
But since the English word slim can apparently be used both for people and for things, PPS is translated in English as Police Pistol Slim.
Walther was less fortunate tough with the name of the "Pistole Kompakt" which never got an English translation.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Most manufacturers set up a certain number of their models as LE and do a discount to police and military personnel with proper ID.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts